Best method to paint EVA foam with automotive paint

TheKevinShow

Alright, so I'm about to embark on an Iron Man build and I'm going to make it out of foam. Unlike my last built costume, I'm not going to set any particular deadline for this one. It'll show at a con once it's done. That's it. That way I can work on when I want to and not run into the dreaded con crunch. Plus working with deadlines isn't easy when I only have two days off per week.

Anyway, I want the finish to be hot rod red. I'm talking so glossy you can see your reflection in it hot rod red. I know it can be done with foam. I've seen it done in person. I've asked around and the direction I've been pointed in is to use automotive paint. After all, how else would you get proper glossy hot rod red? The question is how I ensure that it's done properly once I build the armor. So far, I've been told to heat the foam with a heat gun and then once it's cooled, spray it with Plastidip. However, I don't know what to do between that part and the actual painting. There's no way that it can just be Plastidip>paint>gloss coat. That's too easy. There has to be something I'm missing.

Also, I have no idea what thickness of EVA foam to use. Any suggestions?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

After using a flexible sealant/primer (in your case plastidip) , put a layer of black primer, then paint it either silver or gold depending if you want the suit to have a warmer look. Then you paint it with the hotrod red. Afterwards you use a glossy flexible clear coat. The more clear coat, the shinier it gets (personally I don't like it since you lose details of the suit because of reflections)
e7df8bc3589a4a08eec9689ab3bc799f.jpg
received_601120393593936.jpeghttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b011fd93208f/received_599059007133408.mp4

FB: facebook.com/ironmarkprops1
IG: instagram.com/ironmarkprops

Ok, so heat seal-Plastidip-auto primer-auto gold/silver paint-auto red-auto clear coat. I was just missing the auto primer. Got it.

Now to make sure I have room for a pop-up painting booth somewhere...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back