Best In Show ...(Are You Kidding?) Austin Comic Con 2011

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

vonroll

New Member
Hey members,
I thought you'd get a kick out of some pics of our first suit up and convention appearance. I say first suit up because that's exactly what it was. We really were idiots and waited til the last minute. I put on a Halloween haunt, so we had been working on that up until two weeks ago and this weekend's Comic Con in Austin really caught us with our latex'd pants down.

We had imagined getting there early on Saturday, but as it turned out we did last minute stuff until almost 4pm on Saturday. Here is just one example of our last minute preparations...

Drill_8134.jpg


proper use of a drill. Attaching shoulder bells at the last minute.

Suiting up in the parking garage was no fun. Now I see why Lair members suit up in a hotel room. We rode in the car with everything on except our masks, bios, gauntlets and hands. Buckling up wasn't easy with a butt flap.

Oh... btw, all our armor was of 3mm sintra /pvc sign plastic. Looks cool, but not bendy unless you carry a torch with you. We had never put them on before, so things like arm holes and neck areas were gouging and bruising the whole night.

Here are two Predators waiting on an elevator. Stairs were not an option when you can't see so well.

Elevator_8147.jpg


On to the show... well not really. We were mobbed before we even got there...

May I part your hair?

Parting_8162.jpg


Ok...how do you battle against a magic cane? Blades of course.

Cane_8181.jpg


Sometimes you just don't know where to gesture... I couldn't see anything but now know I was almost grabbing her breasts.

Super_8183.jpg



Uh...really kid?

Really_8187.jpg


Finally after an hour, we make it to entrance.

Making it legal...

Legal_8196.jpg



Be my new best friend.

Bestfriends_8219.jpg


They're just plastic kid.

Bladerunner_8219.jpg



The standard pose...

Bat_8229.jpg



How did we even get up here? We didn't even know about the contest until the show promoter people kept telling us that we needed to enter the costume contest. It was painful just standing for so long until we could get up on stage. More air holes are needed in our suits. I was dizzy from my own breath for so long.

Oh...and to communicate (ha!) we had to get close. No, we're not whispering, more like yelling.

Whisper_8224.jpg


This we really couldn't believe. Are you kidding...best in show??? Man is this ever going to piss off Jack Sparrow! It did too.

Wow! We knew everything that was wrong with our suits and we both were concentrating on all that was WRONG with our suits. In the end, it didn't matter. We were well loved.

Best_8250.jpg


On that last note, even though we knew all that was incorrect or wrong, it's somewhat like when I put together a haunted attraction. It's the 80/20 rule. 80% is correct and the other 20% that may be wrong is filled in with people's imagination or the darkness. Well, we didn't have the cover of darkness at the convention center, but we definitely had imagination on our sides.

I'd encourage all of you sitting on the bench with part of your suit made to get out there. It was an absolute blast.

Things that went wrong:
  • Not ever trying on your suit until the day of
  • Riding in a car with armor
  • Armor that pinches and bruises
  • Cracking the mount off my cannon on the car door
  • My feet foam looking like Donald Duck's feet, so I just ditched them last minute.
  • Not enough air or cooling.
  • Not having cool retractable blades
  • Not having click sounds ( i had an amp and everything, just out of time )
  • Not allocating enough time!!
Things that went right:
  • Pretty much the whole experience of walking in downtown Austin, and making some kids happy.
Thanks for reading.
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

thefonzy

New Member
Congrats!! looks like you guys had a great time, despite of the things that went wrong!!! Well deserved best in show!

Cheers!
 

Usurper

Well-Known Member
Nice suits guys.

im moving this to PREDATOR COSTUMES - WIP & COMPLETE , as this section is for VIDEOS.
 

vonroll

New Member
Nice suits guys.

im moving this to PREDATOR COSTUMES - WIP & COMPLETE , as this section is for VIDEOS.

Thanks!

I just noticed my Thigh-High fish nets are showing their tops in some pics. Oh brother! ...it was a real cluster &%#@ but we pulled it out in the end.

Thanks for the support. (could have used some of that in my hose though) :)
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

vonroll

New Member
man now that's hardcore...a drill in the back?...

great pictures
Yes...and hard to know when to stop too. There wasn't much room to even get a finger in there between the armor and our backs, they were so tight. Both of us ended up with a couple of twisty-marks in our backs. We stopped drilling before we hit any valuable stuff. What a couple of morons we were. Greg had about an hour and a half of sleep before the big day. I had a luxurious 3 hours. We destroyed my house with plastic shavings, hot glue, foam, and paint. More than a few times we glued our fingers together with super glue. This is NOT the recommended way to do any of this. haha!
 

LadyZero

New Member
Thanks!

I just noticed my Thigh-High fish nets are showing their tops in some pics. Oh brother! ...it was a real cluster &%#@ but we pulled it out in the end.

Thanks for the support. (could have used some of that in my hose though) :)
I respect a man who can go out in public wearing stockings. Looks like you had an awesome time, and may I recomment wardrobe tape for keeping those up next time? Tip from a girl who wears them alot and has avoided many wardrobe malfunctions because of this miracle stuff xD
 

Double H

New Member
I respect a man who can go out in public wearing stockings. Looks like you had an awesome time, and may I recomment wardrobe tape for keeping those up next time? Tip from a girl who wears them alot and has avoided many wardrobe malfunctions because of this miracle stuff xD

Don't well all use these for the costumes from time to time? lol

Those are both great suits. The first pic of the drill looked a lil like something out of a Saw film...... live or die ........ Did you use a Mr.I latex suit for your build or is that pure Latex?

Loving the bios, great work. The armour is awesome.
 

vonroll

New Member
Don't well all use these for the costumes from time to time? lol

Those are both great suits. The first pic of the drill looked a lil like something out of a Saw film...... live or die ........ Did you use a Mr.I latex suit for your build or is that pure Latex?

Loving the bios, great work. The armour is awesome.
I'm old enough to not care too much about what others think of my affinity for fish nets. :) Wardrobe tape? All we had was duct tape. Hmmm... maybe next time. Thanks for the tip Lady Zero. Maybe I could use it to suck in my gut too. I kept forgetting to do that for pictures. Haha.

I used the Mr. I suit and frankly I think I'll go the under-armor or Nike (tight fitting 2 piece ) route next time. It was too hot. My daughter's boyfriend (the other pred pictured) went that route and we sprayed on a light layer of latex, then latex paint, and then air brushed spots on. With so much armor, you don't really see the skin as much as you think. Now we were AVP, and other Predators do show more skin so your mileage may vary.

I'm assuming it's ok to be wearing the fish nets as I type this? It is approved Hunt wear ya know. :)
 

Double H

New Member
No worries dude, I wore them as well both legs and torso - a pain in the ass to get on and off but very effective. Thinking I am gonna make a Mr. I suit, I too made an AVP costume but used a Rambo suit and fabric painted it. The armour was made from foamies etc.

Heat-wise, I no what you mean, I had to keep going outside to cool off but it was fun wearing the suit. Makes you feel epic....
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

kanji

New Member
I just noticed my Thigh-High fish nets are showing their tops in some pics. Oh brother! ...it was a real cluster &%#@ but we pulled it out in the end.
Great looking suits and it shows on the pictures that you were having fun.

I really enjoyed the way you told your first suit up and public appreance. It was so entertaining to read that other hunters have their hickups too, I still remember my costume malfuctions from halloween. Fishing fallen shoulder bell from toilet ain't that cool looking, even if your predator :D But it was certainly entertaining to all who where around when that happened. I tweaked locking desing for following nights and no more toilet dipping :)

LIke you said, 80% is right and imagination fills the rest of the 20%, I didn't even notice your fishnet tops before you mentioned it
 

Double H

New Member
Great looking suits and it shows on the pictures that you were having fun.

I really enjoyed the way you told your first suit up and public appreance. It was so entertaining to read that other hunters have their hickups too, I still remember my costume malfuctions from halloween. Fishing fallen shoulder bell from toilet ain't that cool looking, even if your predator :D But it was certainly entertaining to all who where around when that happened. I tweaked locking desing for following nights and no more toilet dipping :)

LIke you said, 80% is right and imagination fills the rest of the 20%, I didn't even notice your fishnet tops before you mentioned it

I know the feeling. You should have seen me trying to lock my car using the key in the lock technique with extended blades. Took me like 5-10 mins to look it, with people driving by taking pictures, it was hilarious. Also, didn't help that had zero vision even with bio off lol

So am now working on retractable blades, new mask which fits for better vision. Didn't notice the fish nets either to be honest with you.
 

vonroll

New Member
Fishing fallen shoulder bell from toilet ain't that cool looking, even if your predator :D
That's funny! There's a tv commercial where a guy drops his cell phone in the toilet. I think I'd leave the phone but go after the Pred Armor myself. Much harder to replace.
 

LadyZero

New Member
I know the feeling. You should have seen me trying to lock my car using the key in the lock technique with extended blades. Took me like 5-10 mins to look it, with people driving by taking pictures, it was hilarious. Also, didn't help that had zero vision even with bio off lol
Thank god for remote central locking, lol. I would have paid to see that, remind me to ask you to get something out of your car at a convention someday, just for giggles!

I still have to experience the joys of attempting mundane things like getting stuff out of pockets whilst wearing armour and claws, luckily I will have a guardian angel (literally) with me to fish stuff out of pockets and stop me from bumping into other people. And I'm going to have an easier ride than you guys because my costume is entirely fabric and so far so good on the vision thing :p
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Pablo I

New Member
I missed you guys on Sat but I guess it was fate or luck that I found you guys on Sun. I was so excited to see more lair members at the Con this year. I'm glad you posted the pictures
 

vonroll

New Member
I missed you guys on Sat but I guess it was fate or luck that I found you guys on Sun. I was so excited to see more lair members at the Con this year. I'm glad you posted the pictures
Yep... Good times. I met Pablo at the booth with the most Predator artwork. And he's totally doing it next year...Right? :) And then there were 3! Next year Austin Comic Con will have at least 3 if not 4 Preds. My son is 6'2" and lean and would make a great Falconer. The invasion is on!
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Top