Best glue option

19narvik40

Sr Member
Hello gang,

Got Comic Expo in just over a week and I need to know the best options for gluing, attaching or taping my Babylon 5 commlink to my hand. It was suggested that I use two sided tape but that would mean shaving my hand so I decided to seek a second (third, fourth, fifth, etc) opinion. Any and all suggestion welcomed and will be considered. Thank you in advance.

Don

i'm sure a lot of people would probably suggest some special kind of adhesive used in special effects make up application...but i just had in insane idea pop up in my head that just might work....

what if you just took a pair of sheer pantyhose that matched your skin tone and chopped them up and make a fingerless glove out of em!?!?!?
then you wouldn't have to worry about it falling off or have to mess with the glues at all.

just a weird suggestion..but who knows it might just work lol

Ultraman, my missus had suggested that. Thing is I've got rather hairy arms and hands (not that side, get your mind out of the gutter) so I would have either work the glove for both hands or figure out how to glue it on. Thank you for your idea.

i'm sure a lot of people would probably suggest some special kind of adhesive used in special effects make up application...but i just had in insane idea pop up in my head that just might work....

what if you just took a pair of sheer pantie hose that matched your skin tone and chopped them up and make a fingerless glove out of em!?!?!?
then you wouldn't have to worry about it falling off or have to mess with the glues at all.

just a weird suggestion..but who knows it might just work lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to check my few local costume shops to see if those are available. Thank you.

Prosaide won't work? You can thicken it with Cabosil if you need too.

- - - Updated - - -

Cyanoacrylate would work so long as you don't take a hard knock. Acetone dissolves it. But it will hurt if it is ripped off.

The stocking idea is good and saves you some pain. Instead of a glove, cut a strip and make a loop you can hold/wrap instead.

If you plan on wearing long sleeves, strap something to your forearm and have the commlink extend out above your hand. This is probably the simplist.

For the tough folks, a nail gun is the answer, but I wouldn't recommend it :)

- Pauli

How about double-sided carpet tape and surgical tape? Surgical tape is made for skin, could stay on for days and can be removed, carefully.

And do shave your hands. You could use an electric razor or beard trimmer just to get the hairs shorter so as not to upset the skin too much.
The panty-hose method would be the only painless one in either case.

Panty hose is a great idea but you have to worry about the edge fraying. Fray-Stop will help but you won't get more than one con out of each strip. Easy to replace, though. Pros-Aide or Beta Bond are the best glues for this (don't use cyanoacrylate; the heat generated by a lot will burn you and a little won't hold), but you will want to shave the contact area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking more on the sweat issue, putting antiperspirant on and around the area should make even plain double sided tape last for a day.

I stopped by my local costuming shop and spoke with a knowledgeable young lady who strongly suggested Pros Aide Original as it has much better adhesion characteristics than liquid latex. She also recommended shaving my hand. I want to thank all of you folks for your suggestions and cautions. This forum rocks!!

Pros Aide FTW! It's bio-compatible, comes off super easy with isopropyl myristate, and it dries clear. As far as shaving, you wouldn't have to with Pros Aide. Now it depends on exactly how hairy your hand is, but with isopropyl myristate, it would just wipe right off after a few minutes without tearing out any hair. I've used Pros Aide for fx makeup for years and hair has never gotten in my way.

Isn't there a special tape that women use when they were those really low cut dresses so the dress doesn't flap open? That's the stuff you probably want because it won't come off because of skin oils.

Hello again,

I just wanted to report that my test with the Pro's Aide was very successful. I applied the glue as directed and the Commlink stayed attached for the entire time, about 11 hours. There was no issue as I went about my usual daily activities and even forgot I was wearing it a couple of times. I used some pure olive oil to finesse the glue release and there were hardly any tears ;). Lost a couple of hairs and the residual glue cleaned up nicely.

I would recommend the Pro's Aide without reservation with the proviso of skin reactions. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to send along their ideas and suggestions.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back