Best first time project for a 9 year old.

madmikeee

Sr Member
Hey folks, Just wondering what your opinions are on a good first project for a 9 year old? Since winter is right around the corner here in the North East indoor entertainment will be needed and I don't want him on the computer, game system, or watching TV constantly. I was thinking some papercraft projects. Maybe "lego" based ones as he has an affinity for the Lego Videos and Games as well as a big blue bucket full of Lego.

Any other suggestions?:popcorn

The star trek cadet series... Relatively cheap, mostly SNAP IIRC, but cold/should be glued, very basic paint (solid white, or light blue ,mostly), and decales for all the aztecking are readily available, if not alreadyincluded in the kit. They are in a consistant scale (1/2500) and display nicely together.

IF your kid is into Star Wars... the revell kits are nice...

Jedi Dade

What about some Snap-Tite projects? No glue, no paint...

Tried a couple and they were AWFUL. wouldn't stay together and when you put pressure to "snap" the pieces together on some parts they snapped alright, right in half. No thanks, don't want to watch him go through that frustration again.

Before suggesting a project, perhaps you could give us an idea of some of his interests? Has he built anything before? And by project, do you mean some small simple ones, or something that can occupy weeks at a time?

Before suggesting a project, perhaps you could give us an idea of some of his interests? Has he built anything before? And by project, do you mean some small simple ones, or something that can occupy weeks at a time?

You know that might just be a good idea LOL.

To start with I would say some relatively short projects, maybe a day or two. As for interests...well Lego, Lego games, Roblox, Harry Potter, Avengers, He's 9 so his interests change on an hourly basis. :lol

Well, Moebius models has the Ironman Mk III and VII kits out (and a chrome Ironman Mk II), plus they just issued a War Machine. Those might work for a couple days as they are decently sized, have a few parts and given the modular nature of the Ironman suits, I wouldn't worry so much about the seams (perfect for a kid who doesn't like filling and sanding). Plus, I've seen them built up at Make and Takes at Wonderfest. They can be built relatively easily in a few hours if the right glue is used.

Plus, the paintjobs are pretty easy... metallic red and gold for Ironman and metallic black and silver for War Machine (maybe a light wash in the recesses to pop out details there). It might require some adult help to paint them properly, but he could do most of the work himself on them (if you trust him to be safe with using glue). And, since they are battle suits, one doesn't have to worry too much about painting faces.

After that, Polar Lights has a decent, yet more traditionally designed Captain America kit. There is also a reissue of the MPC Hulk, but I don't know if it is good enough for a young kid as older kits tend to have seam issues. Moebius also does an Ironman 2 Black Widow as well. I don't know of anything for Thor though, unless Toy Biz did one years ago as part of their currently discontinued Marvel kit line.

The way I see it, two figures could easily give the kid four days worth of fun and make a nice gateway drug to other models without going down the Snaptite path.

Well, Moebius models has the Ironman Mk III and VII kits out (and a chrome Ironman Mk II), plus they just issued a War Machine. Those might work for a couple days as they are decently sized, have a few parts and given the modular nature of the Ironman suits, I wouldn't worry so much about the seams (perfect for a kid who doesn't like filling and sanding). Plus, I've seen them built up at Make and Takes at Wonderfest. They can be built relatively easily in a few hours if the right glue is used.

Plus, the paintjobs are pretty easy... metallic red and gold for Ironman and metallic black and silver for War Machine (maybe a light wash in the recesses to pop out details there). It might require some adult help to paint them properly, but he could do most of the work himself on them (if you trust him to be safe with using glue). And, since they are battle suits, one doesn't have to worry too much about painting faces.

After that, Polar Lights has a decent, yet more traditionally designed Captain America kit. There is also a reissue of the MPC Hulk, but I don't know if it is good enough for a young kid as older kits tend to have seam issues. Moebius also does an Ironman 2 Black Widow as well. I don't know of anything for Thor though, unless Toy Biz did one years ago as part of their currently discontinued Marvel kit line.

The way I see it, two figures could easily give the kid four days worth of fun and make a nice gateway drug to other models without going down the Snaptite path.

:thumbsup Thanks for the info!!

Long time listener, first time caller:

Don't over look clay modeling as well. My daughter loves to choose a subject of her own, and model it in sculpey. She's 9, and there's really no way for her to mess it up. I can rough in the shape, and let her detail it, or vica versa. I know it's not traditional modeling, but they can be sanded and painted..... just an idea.

Last edited:
There's also classic snaptite mech kits like Gundam stuff which benefits from pretty great engineering compared to standard kits (hides seams, sonic-welded joints, color molded, etc). Miniatures like used in a wargame are also great. Nothing like assembling and/or painting something and then bringing it to fight at the table. Great thing about minis is you can strip and repaint as often as you want. The game part is always what sold it to me as a kid and when I bring in new blood.

Long time listener, first time caller:

Don't over look clay modeling as well. My daughter loves to choose a subject of her own, and model it in sculpey. She's 9, and there's really no way for her to mess it up. I can rough in the shape, and let her detail it, or vica versa. I know it's not traditional modeling, but they can be sanded and painted..... just an idea.

Welcome aboard!! and thanks for the input.. I never even thought of sculpting. :thumbsup

Dragon Models has also released a set of Avengers models, but they are kind of expensive. Looks like most of them are out, but the Thor one.

Check here.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back