Best fiberglass filler / putty?

TylerHam

Hi All -
I have a big fiberglass piece that I got, and it has some gaps and issues that I need filler for -

I dont love working with bondo, so I was wondering - What is a good "putty" for filling in seams in fiberglass??

Thanks a ton!
Tyler

I read a lot of posts that said Evercoat Rage is a lot better than bondo, so I went with that. I have never used bondo so I do not know how it compares, but it seems to sand fairly easily.

apoxie sculpt- VanDykes taxidermy supply two part putty hardens in 10min cleans up with water before set. machinable and tool-able made outta corn so safe for you and the enviroment.

If your working with fiberglass stick with polyester you know it will expand and contract at the same rate and be 100% compatible.
For large gaps you can use kitty hair or tiger hair, for small gaps everglass. Here is a list of what I would use or do since it's my job. ;)

Evercoat

Just remember that most of the higher end fillers are made for HIGH, HIGH quality finish, as in high gloss, finishes. They are made of finer materials not generally needed for prop work.

I just see so many people spend big money of expensive fillers, when some bondo and a can of high build filler primer will do the same job at half the price.

With most everything, it's a case by case basis.

And yes, stick with like materials.

Just remember that most of the higher end fillers are made for HIGH, HIGH quality finish, as in high gloss, finishes. They are made of finer materials not generally needed for prop work.

I just see so many people spend big money of expensive fillers, when some bondo and a can of high build filler primer will do the same job at half the price.

With most everything, it's a case by case basis.

And yes, stick with like materials.

And you will get what you pay for, if your time and effort is worth nothing then the lower priced hard sanding fillers are great. The high end fillers, primers and paint are not that much more and sometimes not more at all if you consider the amount and coverage. And the time you save in the sanding and filling pinholes ect well it's all relative to what you want in the end and how much time and effort you want to give up for saving a few $$.

I'd have to disagree with that. (Finhead beat me to it)

Basic bondo is good for building up, but it's still way too porous for a final finish, IMO. Leaves too many pinholes that are a pain to hunt down and fill. A good high quality finishing putty is worth the extra cost for the work it saves.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back