Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hydin, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Welp, silver leafing did NOT work out, and yet again I am going to be cleaning and polishing and sanding my angel blade down... again.

SO... screw it. Gonna go the chrome spray paint route.

What's the best one out there to use? Want something vaguely metallic, not just "gray paint with some glitter" look.

Any advice is appreciated :)
    Chris

2. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rustoleum Bright coat chrome is a good one, though test first as sometimes it stays a bit tacky on some surfaces.

best,
    Tom

Bogue likes this.
  3. hydin

Does it fingerprint like crazy?

I can probably buy some sealer if that's the case...

Chris

4. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

The rustoleum or krylon bright silver are both chromish. And once properly cured, shouldn't fingerprint unless you're handling it a lot. If you want to seal it, you need to use an acrylic clear (like future/pledge floor wax). It will dull the chrome bit, but any other will turn it grey.

5. hydin

Cool!

I now know what to buy later this week :)

Not planning on handling the prop a lot, mainly just setting it up for display and that's it. I'd hate to spend a few hours prepping and painting, just to fingerprint the thing moving it though...

Chris

6. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Chris, I think the real secret here here is VERY thin layers and wait a couple of days in between coats. Sure it will take a while but each coat needs to properly cure before the next coat or it will remain tacky for a very, very long time.

7. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Spaz*Stix,...
    This stuff is like Alclad in a spray can. Spray it over a gloss black under coat, and seal it with clear acrylic. Best metallic look I've seen (don't be fooled by the pic in the ad, it's not quite that good). Available at most Hobbytown USA stores.

8. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I learned the hard way when sealing metallic colors on certain clear coats. Chrome :) after clear gray :(

9. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I found some Plasti-Kote Bumper Chrome No. 615 in the trunk of a car at the wreckers. It's very chrome-like in tests, and doesn't finger print.

Heat cure it if you can, in a toaster oven or similar. 200 F shouldn't hurt anything.

10. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I use Plasti-kote Metallic Silver. Its not CHROME but it has a great shine and won't get prints like crazy.

11. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I've heard good things about Rub'nBuff. It's not chrome-ish but looks like real metal when done right, and pretty shiny too.

12. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Persoanally, I think you should look around for a auto body shop that sells custom aerosol cans.....It will run you a bit more, But it is well worth it. The quality is usually really good!!!

13. hydin

The only downside to rub n buff is it takes FOREVER to actually stop being waxy.

No paint shops locally that I can hit :(

Might give the plastikote a try, but I dunno about heat curing it. The blades a decent size, and the only thing I could use would be my oven, and I kinda don't want the blade bursting into flame.

Nice to know I have some options though :)

Thanks for the help guys!
    Chris

14. Jlewis

Jlewis Well-Known Member

This is the spray chrome from Walmart. The nozzel is spray chrome. The textured part on the Phaser 1 is aluminimum duct tape. Sprayed over gloss black enamel and no clear coat.

[​IMG]

J

15. avianoguitarist

avianoguitarist Active Member

DupliColor MetalKast--but make sure to use the special primer.

16. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dupli-Color makes a chrome spray, but I've never seen a Metalcast Chrome before...

17. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Testors makes a good chrome spray paint. You want to put a real nice slick gloss black under it first, and make sure the black (if it is enamel) is dry, before applying the chrome paint. The Testors stuff is an Enamel based paint, and needs to be applyed in small light coats. If you can,set it out in the sun to let it fully cure. Since it is enamel, it will take awhile for it to dry. Just remember the more you put on, the longer it will need to dry. In this case, I have noticed a laquer spray topcoat, tends to make it dull.

18. terryr

terryr Sr Member

The Plasti-Kote Bumper Chrome No. 615 is about as shiny as the bright side of aluminum foil.

Here's a thread trying out various 'chrome systems'.

DIY Spray On Chrome - THE H.A.M.B.

The plastic spoon reflects the camera!

[​IMG]

19. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

With Future Floor Wax, the trick I've heard is to first mist it on and let that seal and then do a second spraying. The misting layer should protect the chrome paint from reacting to the solvents of the clear coat and thus turning grey.

Mind you, I have not had time to test it yet, but there were pictures shown off on endobuilders of someone having used this method and the results were promising from what I could tell.

20. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a helpful hint. Metallic paints in general are tricky to work with as you not only have to prepare your surface well but have to pay attention to specific methods of application.

21. xdmray

xdmray Well-Known Member

here is the rustoleum chrome in a can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That sounds like a great idea! I would think that would work for other clear coats as well. It makes since.

23. Superkrates

Superkrates Active Member

the quick and easy (rattle-can) chrome on resin parts:

basecoat (no primer needed) with Krylon Fusion, then top coat with Krylon Premium Silver Foil. Don't clear coat chrome paint as it dulls it, and never bake a finish on resin parts unless you know the resin can take the heat (most casting resins warp at 120°F)

example
    [​IMG]

24. zer0zen

zer0zen New Member

I have heard a lot of model builders rave about the stuff from Alclad. But there is a trick to applying it so it looks like chrome. Here is the link Alclad2.com

25. torren_of_amber

torren_of_amber Active Member

Ok, I need a bit of help guys. I bought a can of the Rustoleam Chrome from Wally World and did several light coats over bare plastic, black primer, and another paint as a base AND after 2 weeks it goes back and forth from tacky-ish to being able to lightly finger print it... I haven't sealed it as it's on a test model. What am I doing wrong or what advice do you all have?
    Thanks guys,
    D

26. terryr

terryr Sr Member

If it's tacky all over there was something wrong with the paint, or the application. If it's in certain spots it is reacting with something underneath.

Again, heat works to cure it, but not more than the piece can take. Maybe put it in the sun.

27. Kodiakc

Kodiakc Active Member

Can't wait to see a pic after you done with it Hydin

28. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really like the paint I used on my Rocketeer jetpack. It's called "Sterling silver" by a brand called Champion Sprayon. Found it at AC Moore. Gives a true mirror-like finish when you lay down the paint heavy, looks most reflective on curved surfaces. I extracted it from the can so I can use it in my airbrush for better control and application. Only downfall is it takes a while to cure to the point where it won't take finger prints.

29. swede

swede Active Member

spazstix!!
    the best aerosol chrome spray out there!!
    try and find right now,ive heard that they are out of business!?

30. hydin

Wow, turns out Rustoleum's Brilliant Chrome is... well, extremely easy to overspray.

Maybe the 6th time to sand and paint will be the charm :lol

Chris

31. FSURobbie

FSURobbie Active Member

Hey guys, sorry for necro posting but I need some advice. I'm painting up an IM faceplate using Dupli Color Chrome and I've read it's really delicate and never really dries, no matter how light the coating and cure time.

I had hoped to clear coat it but I've read it ruins the chrome and turns it grey, but I've read a few cases where folks said they lightly dusted their kits with clear coat with minimal distortion and were then able to apply thicker coats of clear without greying the chrome.

Has anyone used this paint before, and if so, what were your results? I'm trying to decide if I should just go buy another paint but I really would like to use the DC chrome as it's beautiful. If I can't handle it though it defeats the purpose as I still have to add more detail to the faceplate after chroming it and if it never cures that's a deal breaker.

Thoughts, oh wise RPF experts?

32. mothman

mothman Member

I've been using Rust-oleum specialty metallic silver with great results, looks more like chrome than chrome paint
    1012040_10152178943525909_2129136226_n.jpg

33. ecmagee1984

ecmagee1984 Active Member

34. LoneWanderer

LoneWanderer Active Member

Wow that looks really good, I am going to try that on a piece here before today lets up. Luckily my home depot has it in stock.