Best casting decisions ever made in movies

Richard Baker

Sr Member
The "Worst casting decisions ever made in movies" thread got me thinking- some films cast an actor or actress in a perfect role- one they seemed born to do. Some fit into the character as a hand into a glove, others have the difficult task of portraying someone who was a cartoon or fictional character people are familiar with and already have a set idea about how it should be.

As one of the worst list nominees I offered Rosie O'Donnell as Betty in 'The Flintstones', here I balance with John Goodman as Fred Flintstone. He had the voice and mannerisms nailed and looked as much like the animated Fred as a human could.

Other nominees:

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Ironman.
A flawed character with a lot of baggage but focused on the big picture. Marvel has made a lot of great casting choices bring their world to life but RDjr in my opinion was the best. He makes mistakes, has a great balance of an inflated ego and self-deprecating humor, is both self centered and able to sacrifice everything for a good cause.

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones
While his Han Solo role is iconic, as Indy he played a much more complex character- you could see an honest passion for antiquities, a thrill of discovery and the ability to improvise an impossible situation into victory. While the 'Kingdom of the Glass Skull' was disappointing, the initial trilogy is some truly fine work.

Josh Brolin as Young Tommy Lee Jones in MIB3
TLJ played a very distinctive character and trying to capture Agent K at a younger part of his life was a very difficult task that Brolin pulled off well. It would have been easy to just imitate Tommy Lee Jones's mannerisms and style, but Brolin showed us where that character evolved from.

Opinions?

Sigourney weaver as Ellen Ripley
Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf
Patrick Stewart as Jean Luc Picard
Kate Beckinsale as Selene
Caitriona Balfe as Claire Fraser

Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh
Tim Blake Nelson as Buster Scruggs
Bella Lugosi as Dracula
Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp
Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday

DeForest Kelley as Dr. McCoy
Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock
William Shatner as Capt. Kirk

Those threee actors, who were the perfect selection for their roles, are the bedrock of a franchise whose value is measured in the billions and is 50 years old and still running. I would argue that if you removed any one of those three actors, in those roles, then the whole thing would have fallen apart.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back