Best 3D design software - what's your views?

I tried Blender but really struggled.

But hit Fusion and found it really worked for me. There are limitations but I've managed to work around it at times. Sometimes I've had to cheat, do it in Tinkercad and import to Fusion.

Fusion360 +1

I JUST got into 3D modeling (as a means to an end to create a solution that didnt exist)

I had tried to learn Fusion360 before... but the 'official' tutorials werent for me (yet)..

I needed something a bit more 'show' and 'less' talk..... and get right to the point. And especially some basics of the workspace..etc)

so my second time around.. I found a different tutorials series.. and he was a fit for me.. enough to give me a base to accomplish my task.. but also prep me for other tutorials and further learning/steps..

I think once you get the hang of it (shouldnt take more than a few days of a couple tutorials each).. its a VERY robust program..

My only gripe about F360 is the cloud based stuff.. you CAN save locally but the cloud thing is a bit 'janky'..

Last edited:
Putting in votes for Solid Edge (Not to be confused with Solidworks), and SketchUp.

SketchUp is best used for anything large. That is room design, remodeling, and outdoor design. It can be used as a general modeler, but was never designed to be one, nor a vertex modeler. I still use it all the time both personally and professionally.

If your going for a free program, Fusion 360. I have had non-CAD co-workers use it for personal projects and picked it up quickly.

If you looking for a professional level CAD program, look at Solid Edge. It can be cheaper than Solidworks but is much more powerful at modeling complex objects thanks to the Synchronous modeling mode. I use it professionally for very complex systems.

Regardless of which you choose, look up beginner videos and tutorials. All CAD software is really only as good as the person operating it. You will find that there are features and plugins you didn't know would solve your problem until you looked them up.

One more for Fusion 360. The autodesk community is great if you need help, and there are some really wonderful free tutorials on youtube. I have zbrush for organic models, and I even use putty3D on my ipad for that if it's something simple. I also have adobe creative cloud, I use the full suite for my full time job, which comes with dimension, and that program is simple but it works pretty well. For mechanical hard edge models I really like fusion. It took me some time to learn it the little I have, as I have been wicked busy for a good spell now. But I jumped in head first again recently and have been learning it, using it, and I am very happy just scratching the surface of it's capabilities.

Here is a link I forgot to provide in my original post:

* You'll get used to his somewhat 'corny' introduction (time after time) after going through a few videos. :)
* I'm not saying is the -best- or anything.. I'm just saying that I tried to watch two other series (one 'official' series and one by an 'older' guy).. neither really helped me or made things click.. this guy did for some nice true beginner videos.
* I think the playlist/groupings are nice.. and you can watch a quick video to go back and focus on a specific task/effect

The trouble with the Fusion tutorials is they date very quickly and the older ones aren't easy to "get" unless you know things already. I struggled to find videos that would help at first, so really had to work hard to get to grips alone haha, and only THEN did tutorials new and old make any sense.

Frustratingly older tutorials include features that have been removed/replaced by less competent features. For example, some solid creating features could use a single line to create shapes but now they have to have a full closed line profile before they will be a solid. ::grumbles::

I agree...

I have the latest version.. and most of the tutorials were for older versions... so the menus and placement of things in the interface were NOT the same.. VERY frustrating!

For all the Fusion360 users out there..

what tutorials or series or tuts helped you get a nice foundation to build from?

I posted mine above..

And while I learned enough to 'do' what I needed for the immediate project.. there is difference between just 'doing'.. and doing efficiently & correctly. :)

Like.. I'm still nto clearn if everything should be made into a component or not? (seems like it should?)

Anyone else? :)

I've been using the Learn Fusion 360 in 30 days series and I'm impressed with it so far, but it does suffer the same problem as many other tutorials. It's pretty recent, but the UI has gone through many changes. Some subtle, but some pretty drastic, like swapping the Y and Z axes. Still, the guy who made the videos is active and the comments usually have the answer to questions. I'm about halfway through, waiting for a Prusa Mini to ship. The 7 week shipping time is a blessing and a curse hah.

Unfortunately it looks like there are some major changes to Fusion 360 personal editions coming up:

As a total noob, most of this doesn't greatly affect me, but I am concerned about the limit to "10 active documents," I'm not entirely sure what that means.

It looks like the educational license is unchanged, so as long as you qualify for that, you should be good to go still.

With those changes... I wouldnt bother with it. _IF_ you are need of the public free license.

if you have an educational or professional lic.. I dont think these changes apply.... correct?

update: sorry I just saw you posted that as yoru last line. :)

Hey Don - What would you be looking to model, how complex or organic will it need to be?
Just basic shapes to possibly 3D print? :)
What printer are you looking at?

I had just started playing around with fusion and the new changes pretty much make it useless for me now since i wanted it for my milling machine once i cnc it. No point in learning it if it doesnt support multi axis milling or probing and no DXF, DWG export file types . time for me to find something else to learn i guess. As soon as i got the email i just uninstalled fusion.

Hi propmaster2000, I don't own my own printer so I'll be sending off to get printed in the UK (still haven't researched this yet as to who would be good , so any suggestions would be useful). My desire is to model an Indiana Webley or S&W, so a fair amount of complex shapes, and design considerations for printing.

I mostly use Rhino and a little bit of Zbrush. I like rhino as its a good all rounder, used to do all my cad drawings in autocad but find rhino is just as good at 2d as it is 3d. It also supports a large number of formats.
Zbrush is very fast but has a steep learning curve & works nothing like standard cad packages.
I think you just pick one & stick with it, I started using Rhino because a company I worked for used it & it became my standard.

Unless the educational lic changes.. and goes to crap.

I think I'll be staying with Fusion360 personally.

My first 3D program I every spent time on..

On a side note: If there any any Fusion360 gurus out there.. that want to give lessons.. I'm all in! :)

Any F360 assets, teachers, live feed Q&A's..etc.. 'interested'.. So feel free to share or drop a PM! :)

Maybe we start a community thing.. where a few people do 'lessons' where we all make the same model/object?

I'm still in the level of not know what is the correct approach of just starting to 'draw' on the stage.. or making it a 'component' first? Should you always make it a component first then? (own object with own timeline..etc)..

I still have not learned how to 'attach' objects together for more detailed models with many objects/surfaces..etc

While I don't use Fusion 360, I did find their feature set for personal use was really good. This is probably just the first step towards reeling in all those free customers. It happens to everyone eventually (Eagle CAD, SketchUp, etc...)

Even at $500 a year (full price), that works out to $42 a month, which is still very cheap in the CAD world.
In other news, Solid Edge 2021 has been announced as being free for Students and Startups.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back