Bespin lightsaber folmer or inc

Right, at this point, this isn't something we know, even with the 4k versions. Wampa cave is the only definitive answer where a bottom stamping is clear.

I compared this photo side by side to a inc folmer pat and folmer no pat to my eyes it looked like a no patent though I don’t have photoshop so I couldn’t enhance it

Attachments

• 75EA7CBF-F1A5-4AB3-ABC9-79297ADE9598.jpeg
    75EA7CBF-F1A5-4AB3-ABC9-79297ADE9598.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 81
You and everyone else for the last 40 years :D

I'm not saying it's not possible, but with the evidence we have yet there just isn't enough detail to know. It's also likely tops and bottoms got moved around as things got used and damaged, so there may not be "one" just like how there are variations throughout one movie (wampa cave, dagobah, besbin, etc)

I'm sorry graflexgenie, but there is no way to know if this is a Folmer or not without seing the bottom stamp. Even if you saw smooth contact pins or something like that, It could just be a swaped top or pins. In any case, the ESB sabers are using 2 regular red buttons, It probably means graflex inc flashes were owned by the production or we would probably see more early red buttons with a thin knurl line.

Of course, Folmer flashes are a bit more shinny than graflex inc flashes, but that is very hard to see, I spent hours looking at 10 flashes top I own, trying to decide if one was more shiny. And it's pretty much impossible to decide about that on a set picture.

I just realize you are even talking about comparing between a Folmer with and without patent. How can you say if this is one or the other without seeing the bottom stamp? I'm genuinly curious

Here is a fun test.
here are a Folmer no patent and a graflex inc with same lighting and taken with the same camera.
can you tell which one is which? It's definitelly possible but those are high quality pics compared to what we are used to look at.
Luke_esb_02_02.jpg

Luke_esb_04_02.jpg

The pins are the tell :)

And again, the Ranch Saber's stamp can also be seen... but I've never tried to do the forensic enhancing to make it out. The lower half of the Ranch Saber is definitely used on the Dagobah belthanger, (the top is different).

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 11.17.13 AM.png

Thanks for adding those photos so quickly teecrooz. The patent number is visible at 10 o’clock with the clamp card at 12 o’clock and the d-ring at 6 o’clock.

Last edited:
Ranch/Dagobah saber is a Folmer patent. Let's call that a fact!

And while all the belthangers use Late Folmer/Inc buttons, I will point out that the short-bladed stunt(s) that have images of (Wampa Cave and Dagobah training) both have earl Folmer buttons with the knurling strip.

Add in the fact that the Ranch saber has the same bottom, but different top as the Dagobah, (not to mention the changes to the grips from glue, to silver screws, to black screws, to additional tiny screws), and that there are several different stunt sabers, puts me firmly in the "they had a big box of Graflex parts" camp. I think there are parts from all of the main Graflex eras in the mix.

Well, thanks to Chris and those pictures, at least we (or at least me!) now know that the Ranch Saber was a patent!

I'd tend to say that it was a Folmer patent over a Graflex patent based on the look of the stamping....

Ranch.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for always being willing to lend your opinion and for the continued education on saber topics, SethS.

So technically, either a Folmer no patent or Folmer patent would be equally as screen accurate for a Luke ESB saber, correct?

You're never going to get me say anything is screen accurate. There's just too many variables. Especially on ESB when we know parts were swapped around, and the prop changed significantly throughout the movie, if it wasn't in fact multiple props.

Everyone is obsessed with getting the Wampa Cave stamping to match, and yet no one wants to shave down half the grips, keep the beer tab, put an early Folmer button on and short blade on it. The Wampa cave was a short-blade stunt, not a belt hanger. But yes, it was an Early Folmer.

The Dagobah WAS a belthanger-- but was also missing a button. And we know it's a Folmer Patent.

Point being, there's no one true ESB version of the prop because it changes so frequently.

So I wouldn't say that all Graflexes used on ESB are Early Folmer or Folmer patent... we do not know that. But I would say that we know one of each was used. Just like I wouldn't say Disney has made the worst Star Wars movies... but I would say the worst Star Wars movies have been made by Disney. (Because I think Rogue One is as good as the OT, but TROS was a complete disaster.. .for example).

I would also say that Inc. Graflexes are so ubiquitous, I'd be shocked if they didn't have some in that box as well.

You want definitive answers where there are none. It kills me too.

Last edited:
The pins are the tell :)

And again, the Ranch Saber's stamp can also be seen... but I've never tried to do the forensic enhancing to make it out. The lower half of the Ranch Saber is definitely used on the Dagobah belthanger, (the top is different).

hey Seth, sorry for coming back to that after all those very interesting new messages. But if you are talking about my photos, both sabers have smooth pins. That's why I'm telling graflexgenie to be careful about swaped parts.

hey Seth, sorry for coming back to that after all those very interesting new messages. But if you are talking about my photos, both sabers have smooth pins. That's why I'm telling graflexgenie to be careful about swaped parts.

I was speaking in general of the one big tell outside of the stamp-- but the case you're making is 100% on the money, especially in light of us talking about ESB potentially swapping pieces.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back