Bespin lightsaber folmer or inc

Have a look at this. There's a ding on the upper of the dagobah saber, which is also present on the promo shot saber.

View attachment 1274698View attachment 1274700

Problem is, there are other marks on both of them the other doesn't have.

I feel most people would use a Folmer no-patent for a Hoth build, since we see a no-patent in the ice cave. I believe that the Hoth and Bespin sabers at least share a bottom (if they aren't in fact the same saber), so I'd use a Folmer no-patent for Bespin.

Wampa cave is a stunt saber, shot on a set in England. Hoth belt hanger in exterior Hoth scenes was on location and we have no idea what its stamp was.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, people have to decide how they want to build their replicas. Evenly cut and tidied up cuts in the grips isn't accurate really either, yet people do that for aesthetic reasons, which in one way can be looked at as being something that affects the screen accuracy of that prop. It would he nigh on impossible to match the exact way the prop makers slapped these things together like they did back then. As I've said in another post, that 100% screen accuracy is something to strive to, not an end state, simply because of how they were put together originally.

Wampa cave is a stunt saber, shot on a set in England. Hoth belt hanger in exterior Hoth scenes was on location and we have no idea what its stamp was.

True, but the fact that one Hoth saber (stunt or otherwise) is a no-patent would be good enough for me to use it for a Hoth build.

But yeah, the exact stamping is unknown. We see a no-patent on a Hoth stunt saber and a Folmer patent on the Dagobah saber. As long as it's a Folmer I guess [emoji106].

Last edited:
At the end of the day, people have to decide how they want to build their replicas. Evenly cut and tidied up cuts in the grips isn't accurate really either, yet people do that for aesthetic reasons, which in one way can be looked at as being something that affects the screen accuracy of that prop. It would he nigh on impossible to match the exact way the prop makers slapped these things together like they did back then. As I've said in another post, that 100% screen accuracy is something to strive to, not an end state, simply because of how they were put together originally.

The grip notches and (painted black) screws arguably aren’t even supposed to be there, in-universe. They’re a production necessity that the propmakers tried to hide, but which have a certain aesthetic value to us. Sort of like how that one Artoo prop seen in the opening scene of the original film has the rivets all along the chest plate. They shouldn’t “really” be there, in-universe (and they’re not on the other versions of the prop/costume), but they’re still a visible feature that some people like to replicate.

Well for what its worth, Im using a patent Folmer for my all vintage ESB build. Its even got proper "ranch stamp" alignment :lol: Because thats a thing now.

The grip notches and (painted black) screws arguably aren’t even supposed to be there, in-universe. They’re a production necessity that the propmakers tried to hide, but which have a certain aesthetic value to us. Sort of like how that one Artoo prop seen in the opening scene of the original film has the rivets all along the chest plate. They shouldn’t “really” be there, in-universe (and they’re not on the other versions of the prop/costume), but they’re still a visible feature that some people like to replicate.

Yes, which is one aspect of my point on what direction people want to go with their builds. Do they want one to match the prop exactly? Which makes the whole Wampa Cave alignment stand out as a complete anomaly. The fact their grips are nicely cut automatically makes that "screen accurate" replica, less than accurate.

Overall, my point is that as a community we strive for making replicas of these props as best we can, but it can get lost and forgotten in that journey, that essentially many of us are applying details from a range of Graflex props in ESB, to create replicas that could potentially be never 100% accurate, and which sell for astonishing amounts of money at times. I mean $5000 dollars for a graflex that replicates multiple ESB props, is mind boggling when it's thought about.

Well one of us will eventually found out I still have hope we can find this

Last edited:
Thanks that’s what I thought but I’ll definitely keep looking
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the Hoth/Bespin belt-hanger is 100% confirmed to be a no-patent. The Hoth stunt is, but the Hoth hero is a mystery. I'm just saying that a no-patent is what I'd use for a Bespin build.
But can you explain why the kobold placement is different
Hm? Different how? For all of ESB, the kobold is mounted with the curved side facing up.

No the bespin belt hanger has the two rivers facing directly to the left where as the Hoth belt hanger has it slightly angled

Graflex halves can slide/rotate... its how they come a part, even if its locked down you can still move them. I highly doubt it was fully slid to the same degree every time it was taken a part

No the bespin belt hanger has the two rivers facing directly to the left where as the Hoth belt hanger has it slightly angled
Here's a screengrab of the Graflex as it appeared during the Hoth exterior shoots:
koboldlineup2.jpg

Notice how the gap in the kobold lines up with the edge of the grip. Now here's a picture of Luke on Bespin:
koboldlineup1.jpg

You can see the gap in the kobold and the grip align in the same way.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back