Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider costume WIP

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Web_Slinger, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Web_Slinger

Web_Slinger Active Member

Hi guys i thought i would share my first costume build with everyone, ever since i first saw the scarlet spider suit i loved it so i decided to build one for myself.

As it's still a work in progress i would like some constructive criticism :lol

now i know i might of done this wrong but with the lycra suit it didn't feel right walking around without shoes on and i have seen spiderman suits build by people who put the soles of shoes on the bottoms and i ended up using some aqua shoes and some shoe goo to get the sole of the shoe onto the lycra.

[​IMG]

it turned out messy but as it's clear goo it's not that bad....right ? :lol

[​IMG]

I did have the chance to get the logo on the hoodie done by a t shirt printing company but to me the logo has always been something that needed to look like it was made at home and not in a factory so i went with the template spray paint method, it went bad i know but i'm gonna get fabric paint and make the logo look a little crisper so fingers crossed it'll turn out fine.

The one thing i am waiting for is the eye lenses, i did think about making them myself but i ended up seeking the help of someone who has been making costumes for ages and my eye lenses should be here within a couple of weeks.

2. joedc27

joedc27 Member

Likeing it so far. Reily was all ways a favorite of mine. I also like your idea with emblem. Maybe you can color the soles of the feet red so it blends in better,just a thought.

3. Web_Slinger

i have thought about making some shoe covers for the bottoms as i have alot of spare lycra so i might give it a try once i've finished everything else. :)

4. ben reilly

ben reilly Member

i like how you have soles on the suit. I'm starting my own scarlet spider movie replica suit and saw someone else with soles on the bottom and was trying to figure out how to do that. also i like the way your stencil came out, i plan on doing the same and spray painting the stencil myself. i just need to decide if I'm going to use the regular spider symbol or design my own. what are you doing for the ankle bags and web shooters?

5. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Nice Start rebz caint wait to See more !

6. tk6214

tk6214 Active Member

Dude I wanted to make this last year but no money. please post more build pics!

7. Web_Slinger

The web shooters are being made for me by an awesome guy at 4th wall design he's also making my eye lenses for me, the ankle bags i have had the idea of taking normal cigarette packs and just covering them in leatherette they are a perfect size for the ankle bags.

I have thought about turning the whole suit from a one piece to a three piece suit so the legs chest and head would be separate easy for storing plus easy to put on and take off, right now im waiting for the eye lenses web shooters and face shell to arrive which should be here in the next few weeks *fingers crossed* the belt how ever im looking at a shotgun ammo belt as it's exactly like Ben's belt in the comics, the buckle im toying with making it myself or getting the help from 4th wall and seeing if he can give me a hand at showing me how to make the buckle from scratch.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. Web_Slinger

Little update, the webshooters im having made by the guy over at 4th wall showed me a wip pic so i wanted to share with you guys.

[​IMG]

9. javelin7369

javelin7369 New Member

impressive, cant wait to see more.

10. Web_Slinger

i should be getting some wip pics of the eye lenses soon so i'll share them soon as i can, i spent the whole weekend re-stitching the lycra suit due to it being way bigger then planned.

11. javelin7369

javelin7369 New Member

Where did you get the suit, if I may ask?

12. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Great job !

13. Baelsan

Baelsan New Member

makes me wanna wear that one right now :D

Scarlet Spidey is one of my favorite versions of Spider-Man.
    Can't wait to see more :)

14. Web_Slinger

as it's my first build i got it cheap from ebay, the color is perfect but the size chart they use is way off so i ordered big and restitched to give a super snug fit.

15. ben reilly

ben reilly Member

those web shooters look great! the shotgun shell belt will work great. i was considering getting one but i needed something cheaper so i ordered a regular leather bullet belt. I found a belt buckle on ebay with a red spider that I'm using as well[​IMG] I'm considering cutting the spider out of fabric and sewing it onto the chest. i figure having it hand sewn gives it a little more Home made look.

16. Web_Slinger

the only problem with hand sewn logos is they can look either really cool or really tacky the ends can fray off sooner then expected or the stitching can come away from the logo and hoodie.

I should have an update on the eye lenses either tonight or tomorrow.

17. Web_Slinger

Ok another update, the guy who is making the eye lenses got a little busy with real life stuff and said he should have the lenses finished by tonight, just for a teaser i thought i'd show the eye lenses i drew up on photoshop which are the ones he's making for me.

[​IMG]

18. joedc27

joedc27 Member

Nice. They have that 90's Spidey look to them.lol

19. The Ronin

The Ronin Well-Known Member

That was always my favorite Spidey eyes. Started by McFarlaine and continued by Larson and Romita Jr. Gotta love the big eyed spideys.

20. Web_Slinger

I never liked the smaller style of eye lenses they looked like normal sun glasses.

21. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I agree that this is a neat take on the Spidey look.

-For those who may have to Google it:

[​IMG]

22. EamonClark

EamonClark New Member

Very nice. Are you sewing the zentai suit yourself? If you are you are a god among sewers. I made a Spiderman 2099 mask by hand and I was cursing myself every time it moved a millimeter.

23. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For those of you who haven't used 4th Wall, I highly reccommend! Laban is speedy, talented, and fairly priced! Check him out on the facebook! Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

24. javelin7369

javelin7369 New Member

This is giving me idea's on my scarlet spider, thanks again for posting.

25. Web_Slinger

It was already stitched together but as it was a cheap suit the stitching wasn't very strong so i re did the whole suit, didn't take as long as i thought lol.

26. Web_Slinger

I was hoping to have this finished this week but i'm still waiting for my eye lenses and web shooters from Laban.

27. AZspidey

AZspidey Well-Known Member

Any news on this?

28. Web_Slinger

Yeah small update the guy who was making the eye frames and web shooters ended up sending them to my old address, then found out it was the wrong items sent so had to send it back.

fingers crossed they should be here this coming week and the suit will be complete lol.

29. Web_Slinger

Ok new update, webshooters and eye frames arrived today so i've glued the eye frames on and they look massive! almost perfect for a comic book style costume so im happy with how it turned out.
    excuse the poor angel of the photo self shot with a mask on is a nightmare lol.

[​IMG]

next task is the belt, belt pods and buckle then the ankle pockets.

30. SqueekinOrka

SqueekinOrka Well-Known Member

That looks awesome and i really like the eyes. With the huge white frame and well just how they look. Great costume :)

31. TaylorMcManus

TaylorMcManus Well-Known Member

I love those eyes! This is coming out awesome!

32. Web_Slinger

half suited up photo.

[​IMG]
    slightly better self shot this time lol.

33. AZspidey

AZspidey Well-Known Member

This all looks fantastic!

34. Web_Slinger

i'll take a few more tomorrow when the sun comes back out so it'll show off the awesomeness of this suit and you'll see the web pod bracers as well, which are seriously cool lol.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  35. Web_Slinger

Little update for people.

I doubt i'll be finishing the costume any time soon as im having trouble finding ankle pouches and i am also struggling with the belt pods and buckle, i could take the easy way out and just get random bits from ebay but i want to do the costume right so i'll be working on making the belt pods and buckles myself which knowing my luck will be a pain in the *, that and finding leather pouches to fit the ankles is almost impossivle.

36. spder15

spder15 New Member

i was just wondering was it hard to glue that to the suit? could you go into detail how you did it cause im trying to do it and im afraid itll be hard!

37. Web_Slinger

which part are you on about, the eye frames or the sole of the shoes?

38. spder15

spder15 New Member

both im mostly scared about the shoes hahah
    can you run in them also

39. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

hey man i love this suit especially the eyes i started working on scarlet spider but ended up getting drawn to the new suit lol for the leg pouches what about some leather and cover 2 of these

Cigarette Case Holder Polished Stainless Steel Sprung | eBay

sorry i cant post actual hyperlinks atm but using this covered in leather it will stay sturdy and you can carry things around it it :)

40. Web_Slinger

I was lucky enough to find some help with the ankle pouches and ended up getting these, LEATHER GUN PELLET POUCH *NEW* WITH BELT LOOP | eBay pretty much spot on for what i wanted, i just need the leather straps now to hold them in place.

the way i did mine i can run, jump, flip and skid across the floor without worry, if i have time tomorrow i will make a video for you explaining the whole process i used to make the soles of the shoes as strong as possible.

41. spder15

spder15 New Member

thank you so much if not tomorrow soon is good cause i need mine as strong as possible
    :p

42. Web_Slinger

Ok little update for you guys, I had a package arrive from Laban a couple of weeks back and what was inside the package.....

a belt buckle and waist pods :thumbsup

[​IMG]

Now after getting this from Laban i've decided to completely rebuild my suit so i can do his work justice i've now got Sonjou designing a new suit for me and i'm going to be getting it printed off asap.

the hoddie will be redone as well and im going to be using a thin urethane spider logo for the front and back as well as change the style of shoe soles i was using i'll be switching to a kung fu style of shoe sole so expect more updates as and when i get the new stuff in. :lol

43. dms54nyc

dms54nyc Active Member

Suit is awesome man, great job

44. Nerfinator92

Nerfinator92 New Member

Wow this is exactly what I'm wanting to do!
    Kudos on the great work!
    What materials did you use for the eye pieces, if you don't mind me asking?

45. Web_Slinger

The eye frames were made using urethane rubber and mesh, i had them made by Laban from Fourth WallDesign facebook page --->https://www.facebook.com/4thwalldesign :)

46. theogpurp

theogpurp Active Member

love the scarlet spider look definitly one of my faves

47. GreenLightning

GreenLightning Active Member

I love the Scarlet Spider man costume you've made. Now I kinda want to build one ;)

48. SpideyMan

SpideyMan Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the suit man, its encouraged me to make my own.

49. Randavian

Randavian Active Member

This is my favorite version of the spidey suit. So simple, but awesome.

50. Doctorskywalker

Doctorskywalker New Member

Amazing :D planning to do one next month myself