Ben Grimm, The Thing, from the Fantastic Four.

Rocket Rider

I have started this cosplay a long time ago. Long before the Hellboy comic book version I also posted about on the rpf. All those custom cut, beveled, tooled rock pellets made from EVA foam are taking forever. I'll be posting some more progress soon.

Attachments

• Thing tease 05-2.jpg
    Thing tease 05-2.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 493
  • Thing-RPF-01.jpg
    Thing-RPF-01.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 591
  • Thing-RPF-02.jpg
    Thing-RPF-02.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 528
  • Thing-RPF-03.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 866
My main motivation is putting together a version of the character that would blend the classic comic book version(s) to a somewhat realistic rendering.
At the time those images were taken I thought the head was good enough. As I made progress on other parts, I decided to to make improvements on it. I'll post some pictures later.

Back to that " early version ". I couldn't wait and did a paint test. It would prove not smart, later on.

One of my intentions is also to make the best of all the foam left-overs I have or will generate fabricating this costume. For example, the dented trim of the eva foam square I bought could be used for parts that would not be in the spotlight, like the neck junction.

Attachments

• Thing-RPF-03-02.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-02.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 545
  • Thing-RPF-03-03.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-03.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 509
  • Thing-RPF-03-04.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-04.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 471
Some progress on the body and limbs. So much more to be done... I don't know if it's the beveling and tooling of the pellets or the gluing that is the most time consuming...

Attachments

• Thing-RPF-03-05.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-05.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 571
  • Thing-RPF-03-06.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-06.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 520
  • Thing-RPF-03-07.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-07.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 509
  • Thing-RPF-03-10.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-10.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Thing-RPF-03-08.jpg
    Thing-RPF-03-08.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 531
Where was I when this thread started !? Holy cow !
So sorry I missed this, but great job so far !! Good luck with the rest and can't wait to see more !

Where was I when this thread started !? Holy cow !
So sorry I missed this, but great job so far !! Good luck with the rest and can't wait to see more !
Thank you! Getting back to it. Redoing some small parts. And now that weather is improving in our neck of the woods, I'll be able to do more texture work and painting.

Some close-ups on that ever lovin' blue-eyed mug!

The version on the left is how the head looked until recently.
I then did what I usually do after I put a project aside for a while: get back to it with a fresh eye and tweak some parts on the computer.

These tweaks usually serve as my new guidelines and templates. In this case, it meant having to build up some extra foam on the Uni(rocky)brow and add some cheekbones. I sanded the paint away on the surfaces I wanted to add extra foam to. I cut, glued/modge podged the newly added parts before adding texture with the wood burner. and podged again as I realized the seam between the old brow and the new one needed to be almost undetectable.

At this stage, there was still something bugging me. And yes it had to do with how it looked like John C; Reilly! I found out how to fix it after giving it another period of rest...

Attachments

• Thing RPF 03-09.jpg
    Thing RPF 03-09.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Thing-RPF-04-3.jpg
    Thing-RPF-04-3.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 345
  • Thing-RPF-04-2.jpg
    Thing-RPF-04-2.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Thing-RPF-04-4.jpg
    Thing-RPF-04-4.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 272
Eyes got fixed, eventually. I pushed them apart a little more, which creates a blind spot in the middle. Nothing impeding my vision, though. I just have to turn my head now and then more. I still need to rework those hands, make them more massive. Right now the silhouette seems somewhat slim ( phone camera stretches the full fig picture a bit and I am 6'6" ) but the calves are bulky and when on they really changes the silhouette. I have one done. I'll work on the other one this summer.
The cigar is equipped with a magnet that locks to the ones inside the lower lip. Bulky fingers can't aim right to put it back; believe me...
One more fun fact about the cigar, I printed a ring I found online and enhaced it on Pshop, of the now defunct brand Jack Kirby used to smoke. That ring brings it full circle, I guess. ;)

Attachments

• Thing-RPF-05.jpg
    Thing-RPF-05.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 487
  • Thing-RPF-06.jpg
    Thing-RPF-06.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IG square TRY OUT FULL.jpg
    IG square TRY OUT FULL.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 406
  • IG-square-frame-01.jpg
    IG-square-frame-01.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 506
So cool :D the wider eyes ('visually' - pun intended) are indeed an improvement.
Can't wait to see this project develop ! Thanks for sharing your progress !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back