Ben Burtt's "Special Effects: Anything Can Happen"?

PHArchivist

Master Member
This was an Imax/Nova release back in 1996.

I've looked and looked and come to the conclusion that it may have never been released on home video.

Anybody know for sure...?

This documentary was notable for our community in that for the film, they re-shot the opening sequence of (ahem) ANH. However this time they used the eight-foot long, hyper-detailed ESB Star Destroyer model. And I recall it being stunning...!

If this film has been lost to the archives, then we may have to ask Julien to allow us to use his so we can shoot our own version!

I don't think it was a series but that doesn't mean they didn't borrow any footage. We've got an IMAX dome here at work. When the exhibit Where Science Meets Imagination was here I tried to convince the boss to bring this film back. I recalled seeing the film at the same theater years previous paired with a special effects exhibit that featured everything from a snowspeeder to a Earl's head from ABC's Dinosaurs.

BUT technically it is still available. We could get the film print and run it, but who would by tickets?
IMAX.com > SPECIAL EFFECTS

Sometimes IMAX sends dvd versions for review. I'll let you know what I find.

I don't think it was a series but that doesn't mean they didn't borrow any footage. We've got an IMAX dome here at work. When the exhibit Where Science Meets Imagination was here I tried to convince the boss to bring this film back. I recalled seeing the film at the same theater years previous paired with a special effects exhibit that featured everything from a snowspeeder to a Earl's head from ABC's Dinosaurs.

BUT technically it is still available. We could get the film print and run it, but who would by tickets?
IMAX.com > SPECIAL EFFECTS

Sometimes IMAX sends dvd versions for review. I'll let you know what I find.

That would be cool - thanks!

This was an Imax/Nova release back in 1996.

I've looked and looked and come to the conclusion that it may have never been released on home video.

Anybody know for sure...?

This documentary was notable for our community in that for the film, they re-shot the opening sequence of (ahem) ANH. However this time they used the eight-foot long, hyper-detailed ESB Star Destroyer model. And I recall it being stunning...!

If this film has been lost to the archives, then we may have to ask Julien to allow us to use his so we can shoot our own version!

I saw this film in Minnesota when the Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit went through. (We were out there visiting family) It was awesome. The opening King Kong sequence scared my niece to death. :lol The reshoot of the Star Destroyer scene was awesome.

I would love to see this released on Blu-Ray someday.

I actually asked Ben Burtt about this very thing when I was out at the Ranch in early 2002...His response was basically that he would love for it to be released, but it sounded like it was out of his hands.

That re-shoot of the ANH opening in full IMAX glory was worth the price of the ticket all by itself...

Jason

Nearly twenty-two years since it's debut, and this title has still never been released on a home video format. It is also not available on the NOVA or PBS website. Shame. This would look spectacular on a 4K Blu-ray disc.

E

Oh man, that ANH opening scene was AMAZING in Omnimax. I remember being surprised that they didn't just port that over to the Special Edition when it was released.

It was really cool, but the ships moved a lot more slowly than the ANH shot, so it wouldn't drop in without manipulation.

I remember seeing this 20 years ago in 1998 in Washington DC, when they had all the models there as well. Wish I could remember more of it, can't believe its been 20 years.....craziness......

I saw it at the Grand Adventure theme park in the SF Bay area. I have a crappy bootleg cam version on VHS somewhere...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back