Bel Air, Fresh Prince reboot.

mattycsi

Master Member
Trailer

I was very skeptical of this dramatical reboot on Fresh Prince. But the trailer has me intrigued.

No one will ever fill the shoes of James Avery as Uncle Phil, but I think this guy seems to have the core of the character down as a wise, dutiful family man somewhat frustrated with the situation. I hope they keep the element that Phil can become a real badass when he needs to be.

Carlton seems to be a little too cool though, I doubt he's listening to Tom Jones in this!

It will be interesting to see the fleshed out back story of the "one little fight" that got his mom scared.

I was waiting for Carlton’s introduction. It’s different… I certainly will give it a shot though, as long as it’s on Netflix lol

I thought the original video was a really cool concept, although I’m skeptical how well it will translate to a series. Guess we’ll see…

Sean

I'm torn on this. I love the original show. It was a perfect blend of comedy and drama and the cast was pitch perfect, especially James Avery! Even watching it today it holds up so well.

I recognize that this new iteration could have a significant perspective in today's world but I also feel like it's just another unnecessary reboot in a sea of reboots. There were moments of the trailer where it felt compelling and others that felt like a fan made spoof trailer. I think a wholesome show that promotes family values is a hard sell in 2022. That was the core of the original and if this has any chance of working on its own it needs to focus on the same.

Though since Afterlife I'm mostly sworn off any type of reinvented property. It's time they come up with some new material.

I'm torn on this. I love the original show. It was a perfect blend of comedy and drama and the cast was pitch perfect, especially James Avery! Even watching it today it holds up so well.

I recognize that this new iteration could have a significant perspective in today's world but I also feel like it's just another unnecessary reboot in a sea of reboots. There were moments of the trailer where it felt compelling and others that felt like a fan made spoof trailer. I think a wholesome show that promotes family values is a hard sell in 2022. That was the core of the original and if this has any chance of working on its own it needs to focus on the same.

Though since Afterlife I'm mostly sworn off any type of reinvented property. It's time they come up with some new material.
1000% agree with this… time to think up new stuff.. the movie industry has failed to realize people don’t want reboots..

They just keep wasting millions and millions of dollars on these and still don’t get it…

I think the idea is really good. The original show's "inciting incident" was a serious drama-laden situation that was mostly glossed over.

This one looks more like a cross between FP and the early years of 'Beverly Hills 90210' (which had more dramatic weight than you remember).

But, I dunno if this can work without the Carlton Dance. That's gonna be hard to replace.

The whole reboot was instigated by the director with this fan made spoof trailer:
I was waiting for Carlton’s introduction. It’s different… I certainly will give it a shot though, as long as it’s on Netflix lol
It says ita on Peacock, I have no idea what that is?! I'm guessing its a channel you have out there in the colonies.
I think the idea is really good. The original show's "inciting incident" was a serious drama-laden situation that was mostly glossed over.

This one looks more like a cross between FP and the early years of 'Beverly Hills 90210' (which had more dramatic weight than you remember).

But, I dunno if this can work without the Carlton Dance. That's gonna be hard to replace.
The incident is big enough, I feel, to provide a springboard to dive deeper into the characters. I like how they've kept the origin of the basketball bouncing off the guys head!

Carlton dance can't be done, needs to be left out!!!

The whole reboot was instigated by the director with this fan made spoof trailer:

It says ita on Peacock, I have no idea what that is?! I'm guessing its a channel you have out there in the colonies.

The incident is big enough, I feel, to provide a springboard to dive deeper into the characters. I like how they've kept the origin of the basketball bouncing off the guys head!

Peacock beats the hell out of me I’ve never heard it… looks like I’m passing this one up then lol

I recall that spoof trailer.

Alfonso Ribeiro and the Carlton dance are both iconic. Not that they would fit at all in this show judging from the tone of the new trailer.

Idk. I'm still mixed on this at best.

1000% agree with this… time to think up new stuff.. the movie industry has failed to realize people don’t want reboots..

They just keep wasting millions and millions of dollars on these and still don’t get it…
People here don't want reboots but the public at large and China do.

Not so much a fan made spoof. More of a reimagining similar to the RIS Battlestar Galactica. Mr. Smith himself weighed in on the idea of it.

Do we really need another troubled youth moves to Southern California and takes their problems with them only to find a new set of problems to deal with as well? Hasn't that been done to death? I think this would be better if the whole Fresh Prince of Bel Air angle was completely dropped and a less overused setting applied. It looks like there might be some decent acting in this though, so who knows.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back