Beginner's Grail Diary (Printable Pages + Inserts)

This is my first attempt at doing anything like this. Well, aside from staining paper in preschool I’m really happy with it so far! It’s not perfect, but it makes the kid in me happy so that’s a win! Now onto the inserts D346BC93-A2CA-4FBD-8C1E-3D60098198A4.jpeg

Attachments

• 674F2D40-EA57-4DE6-B9F8-68DD26C43534.jpeg
    674F2D40-EA57-4DE6-B9F8-68DD26C43534.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • AF8FE84C-6EA0-44B6-AD14-CD54144823F9.jpeg
    AF8FE84C-6EA0-44B6-AD14-CD54144823F9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 129
anyone have text for the note at the bottom of the long fold out dead sea map? I keep coming back to it and so far I have:

This way was found in and (*) (*some/same/lame?) old (*) (*) or any way I could find. Attached is the best image I could find of the text. The arrow points to a road gap between two hills on a clear copy of the map. Thanks!

Attachments

• indy magnoli diary version Screenshot 2021-09-28 190818.png
    indy magnoli diary version Screenshot 2021-09-28 190818.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 187
- Maybe the text starts with "This map".
- Maybe the text is a variation of the other text about the "old trunk"?

"This fragment is kept with my papers and maps. I found this fragment in
one of the books and amongst the papers and maps in the old trunk."

Last edited:
- Maybe the text starts with "This map".
- Maybe the text is a variation of the other text about the "old trunk"?

"This fragment is kept with my papers and maps. I found this fragment in
one of the books and amongst the papers and maps in the old trunk."
"This map" has been suggested previous by others but doesn't seem to work with the text "This map was found in and...". I'm wondering if "map" contains a spelling error that is noted in other parts of the hero prop text and might be "way" as suggested by the arrow on the map. Although I agree the "w" is the following word is completely different form. Is there a real doctor in the house who can read this?! LOL

I like the idea of the map in the old trunk so thank you for that but the arrow on the map suggests something different to me. I believe the intent of this map notation from what I can decipher is that there was a location of interest identified but upon a visit did not show anything meaningful in finding the Grail valley. I most likely will invent text here along these lines thus my swapping of 'map' for "way" trying to figure out this text. I don't think the second sentence is gibberish but I've not been able to find any additional examples this prop master's handwriting to figure out how they make their letters for more clues to the text. Anyway, thank you for your reply!

How about this? the first "nag" is a "map" and the second "nay" is a "way". -> So we can have both: a map in a trunk and an arrow on a map.

There are some other spelling errors in the diary. So this is of course here a possibility.

The handwriting is an other faszinating point with this text. It seperates from the other handwriting in the diary. And both handwritings seperates from the regular writing from Keir Lusby (the prop maker). I have added an example to this posting...

I am reading this here meanwhile:
This ruag was found on and had Iam old bare rest or any may I could find
:D

Attachments

• 1983- img_0144.jpg
    1983- img_0144.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
It seems like the prop person was copying text from another source and introduced some errors. I've gone back and think the second "way" is really an error and it is "any" again? I'm not fully convinced of the bold words below but I think this is a closer translation of the text:

This map was found
in and showed same old roads as
any re any I could find

Therefore, based on your previous suggestion, the intent (?) of the text may have been as follows:

This map was found
in [my trunk] and showed same old roads as
any I could find

This seems more in keeping with the annotated text on the other maps and the arrow may simply refer back to the roads on the map in general and not a specific location. I can live with this as my text but not convinced this is what it really says!

Figuring out those bold words would greatly help. The first one looks like "found" again but the "F" is wrong and may include an "i" so might be hired or tired. Again, without additional examples of this person's handwriting, its difficult to translate.

This handwriting looks similar to the pencil text additions to the various Map With No Names... and they have similar variations of the phrase/theme "I could find" etc.

It's quite possible that these insert maps were done by someone other than the main scribe of the diary (Eric).

This person has a distinct "F" when it is the first letter in a word and not present on any of the Map with No Names or the Leap of Faith. I guess this is interesting from a diary production perspective but I was just trying to find a similar hand to help me interpret the text! Thank you both for your insights and help.

Really fun project to make. A lot of test printing and rewatching the last crusade. Thanks a lot Celeste!IMG_20220622_113013425_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20220622_112522334_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220622_112522334_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20220622_112611209_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220622_112611209_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20220622_112807967_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220622_112807967_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20220622_112850896_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220622_112850896_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20220622_113315816_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220622_113315816_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20220622_113740701_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220622_113740701_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 137
Very nice, I need to find someone to print maps for my diary, as the only printer I have doesn't handle anything over letter size.

I always wished it was easier for starting diary makers to get desired inserts (offical and fan made) so i'm just gonna dump my entire file of inserts
Dylan Conway
Raider of the Doomed Crusade

EDIT:
I've removed these inserts as I feel uncomfortable sharing these inserts as they are other people's work and I've forgotten to properly credit them so I don't feel right freely giving them compared to my own work in the Signatures, if you still wish to get a hold of my collection of inserts request an invite to the Archive Google Drive.
I just recently found this thread. I realize it's been several years, but do you sill have the file of inserts available for download? Thank you for your time and hard work.

First off, I want to say thank you for posting the Grail Diary in a format that was really simple to print. I was able to put together a few props over the months of June and July (2022) using a laser jet, Amazon, Staples (the store), A prop vendor, the local railway museum, stuff I had laying around my desk at work, and stuff I had at the house. I printed the Diary on aged paper from Amazon, and made the cover from cardboard that was in a calendar from the railway museum and an 8X11 piece of cowhide leather from Amazon. I am a drafter so I have access to some really large format printers so printing is fairly straight forward for me. I did a lousy job of binding the book but it was good enough for what I wanted. I was mostly looking to do something interesting that would use existing skills and build a few new ones. This was a training exercise more than a boredom reliever.

Now here is the problem I am facing, I have most of the inserts and I honestly am having fun tracking them down so I am not looking for them, what I am looking for is a list of where the inserts go in this particular variant of the diary. I have seen a list of insert locations for a 16 signature version of the diary but I can't find that information for this 10 signature 240 page diary. So far I have been doing what I did with my Ravenwood Diary and using the dates on the insert and putting it close to the same date in the diary. I have attached a photo of the bag Items I have put together, my diary has been aged a bit sense this photo. Thank you for any help you can provide.

1659576745237.png

I was trying to decipher the Pinkerton letter posted by the Prop Store but no luck and I did find the home made Sam Spade letter which was interesting but did not scratch the itch. So I decided to make my own fan made Pinkerton letter based on a real one I found on-line:
pinkertonhomemade.jpgI feel it nicely weaves together different different parts of the story. Still needs weathering and I need to make the envelope but happy the way it came out. Thanks to all of you hear posting bits and pieces of the Grail Diary and curse Adam Savage for showing me something that I never thought about or thought I needed but now almost done and ready to print by first diary!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back