Beginner sculpter clay ?

inkmonster

Since I havent been able to locate a set of skins I like to put together a wolf costume. Ive been thinking of having a go at sculpting them myself. Whats the best clay for a beginner waterbased or chavant? I know the waterbased is great if your a real fast sculpter but being that Im just getting started I may have to use the oil clay so it dont dry up on me before I get a chance to finish it. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Id say go for a oil based clay, be it chavant or something similar. I started out with chavant so im sure if i can make some interesting lumps, so can everyone else.

I found the chavant too hard for my liking, even the soft compound. I went to klean klay for my gort, and I think it would have taken me a LOT more work to do it with chavant. The klean klay is a lot easier to push around with your fingers. I would maybe recommend buying a few lbs of each to have a practice run, then buy enough of whichever you prefer to do a complete skin. It also depends where you'll be doing it. If you're going to be in a garage, or somewhere non-airconditioned, the chavant might be a better bet.

So to sum up, it really all depends. o_O I've never used waterclay, so I can say nothing useful about it.

I found the chavant too hard for my liking, even the soft compound. I went to klean klay for my gort, and I think it would have taken me a LOT more work to do it with chavant. The klean klay is a lot easier to push around with your fingers. I would maybe recommend buying a few lbs of each to have a practice run, then buy enough of whichever you prefer to do a complete skin. It also depends where you'll be doing it. If you're going to be in a garage, or somewhere non-airconditioned, the chavant might be a better bet.

So to sum up, it really all depends. o_O I've never used waterclay, so I can say nothing useful about it.
I thought kleen klay is just waterbased clay just a brand name? I know the chavant is harder to push around but with a water based if your not a quick sculpter you have to keep it wrapped good in plastic or have towels over it. I also heard it can get away from you pretty easily to as beginners tend to use to much water or not enough. I have a few pounds of both I guess I can expirement as it may be abit before I get my lifecast done to sculpt over.

The klean klay I have is oil clay. Don't know if they do a water based clay as well, but the stuff I have is significantly softer than chavant. I got the regular firmness, and it's softer than chavants soft. The firm would probably be on par with their soft, I imagine.

It's also about half the price of the chavant, at least where I bought it...

Klean clay is what i enjoy using. A very nice oil based workable medium to sculpt with. o_O
Stay away from water based clays if you are begining

Looks like kleen klay or chavant it is. I was under the impression that kleen klay was a water based clay but apparently I was wrong. Im hoping to get a lifecast done soon and I think Im gonna go for sculpting a full set of skins for a wolf suit. Im hoping to sculpt the armor into it atleast the leg armor. I will definatly post pics of the progress as soon as avalible for pointers. I dont want anyone to hold back either I want them to look good before molding them. So comments both good and bad will be welcome. But take into concideration Im new at this sculpting thing.

thought i would let you know chavant has like 18 different mediums of of clay from super soft to rock hard. i would recommend you contact them directly and ask them for a sample kit it s wel worth it and only 15 bucks u cant go wrong. good luck.

Thanks so much for this post inkmonster I was going to ask this myself but searched this topic up I want to make a
skin for my P1 costume cannot wait to get started I found a seller of these oil based clays near me here in australia
my god never thought i would LOL thanks again guys for answering his question :)

i just started sculpting as well .
and i went straight for the Klean Klay, and i find it works great...
and as far as tools for sculpting may i suggest that making the tools your self is better than paying $5 or $6 for one tool! and like $30 and up for a set of tools that are probably made from plastic.....all you need is a long wood rod and some wire Hangers. look up sculpting tools and start making them thats what i did,
i'll put up pictures of them...
Klean Klay and home made sculpting tools is the way to go dude!
Good Luck

i just started sculpting as well .
and i went straight for the Klean Klay, and i find it works great...
and as far as tools for sculpting may i suggest that making the tools your self is better than paying $5 or $6 for one tool! and like $30 and up for a set of tools that are probably made from plastic.....all you need is a long wood rod and some wire Hangers. look up sculpting tools and start making them thats what i did,
i'll put up pictures of them...
Klean Klay and home made sculpting tools is the way to go dude!
Good Luck
Hey mate I'm going for the klean klay as well cannot wait to get started and upload some pics what type are u using?soft regular hard?
thanks for the suggestion of tools i never thought of it :)

The ONLY thing i do not like about KLEAN clay is the fact that it does not react very well to a flame ( for blending and getting sagging effects ) it just seemes to bubble up and became sticky real quick.

I think KLEAN clay was not designed for sculpting, but not 100% sure, ill have to try find the link.

Having said that i guess the best clay is one you are happy working with hehe.

The ONLY thing i do not like about KLEAN clay is the fact that it does not react very well to a flame ( for blending and getting sagging effects ) it just seemes to bubble up and became sticky real quick.

I think KLEAN clay was not designed for sculpting, but not 100% sure, ill have to try find the link.

Having said that i guess the best clay is one you are happy working with hehe.
yeah i suppose like everything trial and error and preferences of different people thanks for the info again :)

Hey mate I'm going for the klean klay as well cannot wait to get started and upload some pics what type are u using?soft regular hard?
thanks for the suggestion of tools i never thought of it :)

i think its medium/hard don't remember as i don't have any wrappers left for it!
here you go... these are the ones i made...
and the ones on the bottom i looked up for ideas!

As a beginner myself - I like Klean Klay - firm.

It's quite pliable when warm and once in place is very forgiving if you nick or strike the sculpt where you didn't mean too.

To soften it - I 10-15lbs at a time into an aluminum roasting tray - like you bake a turkey.

Then I put a heating pad - like for your back or sore muscles - UNDER that tray. Cover it with a small hand towel to keep the warmth in.

I have this setup on my sculpting table. When I get home from work, I go by and turn on the pad - go inside, change clothes, grab a cocktail...... maybe a snack..... by the time I get back, the clay has started to soften. It's if still not soft enough...... YEP have another cocktail. eventually you won't care how stiff the clay is. I'm just kidding... sorta.

but seriously - 10 -15 mins and the clay is easily pliable. Summertime - I don't even use the pad.

A good resource tonline for Klean Klay is "Brick in the Yard" BITY. helluva nice guy in Texas - name is Mitch. Has a TON of tutorials on their webistem and if you call either he or his wife typically answers the phone. I think I paid about $110.00 including shipping for 50lbs.

Hope this helps.

E-O

Hey guys, maybe off subject but what is the estimated amount of clay you use for lets say a simple P1 mask? i am about to order 10 lbs. and i know it will be enough but didnt know if i could get maybe 2 out of it? Thanks

Kammo

For a mask, I'd say you're probably going to come up short with 10lbs. I used 12lbs to sculpt my gort bio. If I was going to do a mask (someday Lee, I promise!) I'd probably make sure I had around 20lbs of clay on hand. Of course, if you're on a tight budget, buy what you can afford, and buy extra only if you need it. By then you'll probably have a better idea of how much you'll need to finish.

I know I have just about 30lbs of chavant medium on one of my pred head sculpts. So it's all down to the size of the head your making. You can always order less, and then while your sculpting you can determine if you have enough or not.

-Chris

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back