Beginner question

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by GDCarlyle, May 5, 2012.

  1. GDCarlyle

    GDCarlyle New Member

    Trophy Points:
    Hey everybody,

    I'm following the stunning work of some prop makers for a while now and while my english isn't that bad, I sometimes having a hard time understand specific words or expressions. Maybe you can help.

    I often read that two things get "epoxied" together. My guess is that two pieces get glued together by laying down a layer of polyester/polyurethane resin between them. Or is it a special type of glue?

    Regards from germany.


    I posted something about dissolving foam weeks ago. Regarding images are available on my flickr account.
  2. Nwerke

    Nwerke Master Member

    Trophy Points:
    It's a type of glue. Epoxies are a family of two-part adhesives and resins. They were developed during WWII then rapidly found a commercial market. Araldite is a well known brand name. Not the same chemistry as urethanes or esters.

    Welcome to the board, by the way.
  3. robn1

    robn1 Master Member

    Trophy Points:
    There are different types of epoxy for different applications. There are adhesives, laminating epoxy (for fiberglass), and casting epoxy (for molding parts).

    For things "epoxied together" you want the adhesive type, 5 minute cure being the most common. But there are slower formulas, 10 min 20 min etc., depending on your needs.

    But even adhesives have different types. The clear type is more commonly used. Another type is better for bonding metals, these are a dark gray color. They have metal powder added to make them harder.
  4. GDCarlyle

    GDCarlyle New Member

    Trophy Points:
    Thanks for clearifying you two!


Share This Page