Beginner question

GDCarlyle

Hey everybody,

I'm following the stunning work of some prop makers for a while now and while my english isn't that bad, I sometimes having a hard time understand specific words or expressions. Maybe you can help.

I often read that two things get "epoxied" together. My guess is that two pieces get glued together by laying down a layer of polyester/polyurethane resin between them. Or is it a special type of glue?

Regards from germany.

Oli

ps.
I posted something about dissolving foam weeks ago. Regarding images are available on my flickr account.

It's a type of glue. Epoxies are a family of two-part adhesives and resins. They were developed during WWII then rapidly found a commercial market. Araldite is a well known brand name. Not the same chemistry as urethanes or esters.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

There are different types of epoxy for different applications. There are adhesives, laminating epoxy (for fiberglass), and casting epoxy (for molding parts).

For things "epoxied together" you want the adhesive type, 5 minute cure being the most common. But there are slower formulas, 10 min 20 min etc., depending on your needs.

But even adhesives have different types. The clear type is more commonly used. Another type is better for bonding metals, these are a dark gray color. They have metal powder added to make them harder.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back