Bear Grylls fired from the Discovery Channel

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by terryr, Mar 13, 2012.

1. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Weird.

Discovery seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. "if you won't make more stuff, we're gonna take off your hit show."

They better drink their own urine.

2. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Maybe they'll realize their mistake and beg to have him back. Otherwise I don't see why bear can't do a similar show at a different network.

3. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

He'll have a queue at his front door, likely.

He can be quite entertaining, but I did laugh out loud at the Youtube expose of his "walking on hot Hawaiian lava" fakery. Good lord, did they ever fake/amp up that segment.

4. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just like watching him climb stupid rocks and eat bugs.

5. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Yeah, I agree. Dance, monkey! DANCE FOR MEEEE!!!!

6. Contec

Contec Master Member

7. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Maybe he quit because he was tired of reality TV?

8. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe he can guest on "Man vs. Food" and they can see who can drink the most urine. Good riddance. I never liked that guy.

9. sgtski

sgtski Member

I referred Les Stroud on Survivor Man. Not only was he really alone, he carried all of the film equipment himself as well. I know he had a safety crew not far away and a radio to call if it got too bad, but that shouldn't take away from the survival training he was demonstrating.

10. ArtemiHo

ArtemiHo New Member

Well at least we have something to watch. There are a lot of great episodes of Man vs. Wild.
    They captured a lot of wild places, this idea began to repeat itself.

11. DoubleD

DoubleD Sr Member

I too prefer Less, but I like Bear as well. He's got a certain charisma that makes him fun to watch.

However, he gets out of situations that no normal human could ever hope to get out of. It's not so much of a survival show as a "look at me climb down this sheer cliff and jump into a freezing river".

12. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

EXACTLY!! Les is the man. I have all of his episodes of survivorman. He's just awesome and doesn't take ridiculous risks to get the job done.

13. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Yeah, I was about to come on here and go "LES!!!" Much better.

I'll say it about Bear: FINALLY. Guy's a moron.

14. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Yeah at least Les would be like, "Hey this crap is not possible for a normal man to do, I quit."
    Bear jumps off the face of a cliff covered in Camel entrails and says, "This is normal."

15. Hecubus114

Hecubus114 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not only that - all the urine drinking, bug/feces eating, etc. on Man VS Wild was usually completely unnecessary, and a complete gimmick for shock value. Never liked the guy, and after hearing about all the staging, I completely tuned out. I might as well watch Operation Repo.

I agree - Les is the man and LOVED Survivorman.

16. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I never watched the show, but that sounds like "Fear Factor/Jackass Goes Camping" to me.

17. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

Les Stroud is the best..glad to see Bear go

-James

18. Hecubus114

I remember seeing him squeeze the water out of (I think it was horse) crap to drink it. This was out in an environment where there were plenty of other water sources, but he did it, I guess, to show it could be done if there was no other option... I guess...

And he did that all the time with bugs/animals. He was a big fan of biting the heads off of live creatures. When it's being done as PURE entertainment then that kind of rubs me the wrong way.

19. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I always preferred Les and Survivorman over Bear and Man vs Wild. Survivorman was more of a realistic take while Man vs Wild always seemed to be about how much Bear could shock you

Bascially how to cook grubs and stuff to survive vs giving yourself an enema with seagull crap polluted water for shock value

20. Sigma-LS

Sigma-LS Sr Member

+1

Les actually taught me useful things that I don't have to risk killing myself to capitalize on. And watching him get great shots and having to go all the way back to get the camera always gave me a laugh.

And it just showed up on Netflix. Guess I know what I'm watching after I wrap up Voyager.

21. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Les Stroud is like a guy driving cross country. Bear Grylls is a guy driving up a rock face 'just because'.

When you're out hiking and come to a cliff, you go around. Bear jumps off.
    But the show is entertaining.
    Instead of all those stupid actor guest stars, he should have had Stroud and other survivalists.

22. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Oh, no problem then. They can just get this guy to do the show instead.

[​IMG]

23. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Les Stroud is a really good guy too. Not saying BG isn't but you can put me in the Survivorman camp any day. Man vs. Wild was just bad. Gives the wrong impression to those who think "that's what you do in the wilderness."

24. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I'm gonna go the opposite. I like Bear's show better. It was entertaining. Les' was boring IMHO

25. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never went out of my way to watch 'Man vs Wild', and I never watched on a regular basis, but the few episodes I have seen I didn't think the show was complete crap. It was exactly what I expected it would be.

26. leafman

leafman Well-Known Member

I think you guys are blowing some of this out of proportion. He only drank is own "urine" a few times, like < 5. (Urine is in quotes because it was probably just yellow water :rolleyes) Biting heads of animals? He only did that with bugs that could bite back, as far as I've seen.

Les teaches smart and safe survival, but does he always have to whine about how lonely he is? I get that a good portion of survival is psychological and being able to deal with it emotionally, but for crap sake, go one episode with out complaining.

27. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

While I did not go out of my way to watch his show, when I did catch an episode, I generally enjoyed it. Honestly though, who names their children Marmaduke and Huckleberry?

28. Hecubus114

You're right, fighting for your life in the wilderness isnt that bad, why cant he just have fun with it? :rolleyes I guess its easier not to complain when you get to pack up and stay in a motel between takes. As far as killing animals, I cant throw out an exact figure because I haven't watched the show in so long - but my point wasn't about simply "biting heads off". My point is that he uses killing live animals and eating them like a savage as a tactic for cheap ratings. I don't disagree that sometimes that's necessary to survive in the wild - but using your teeth to kill a live snake before you eat it on camera is just to be shocking and make "good" TV. Survivorman taught how to make traps for animals, cook them, etc., but he never made a big silly show out of killing them. In fact, as far as I know, he never even showed the actually killing on camera because it wasn't relevant to the message he was trying to send. Bear Grylls seems to pride himself on having no gag reflex and wants to show it off at every possible instance.

29. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

30. leafman

yes, yes, you both have points. :lol

I guess my point about Les was that he's getting paid quite nicely to go out there and make the show, I don't really want hear about how much it sucks.

31. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Bear is just showing extreme survival, Les does a more what 90% of the population would need to do. Survival is not about taking risk.....it's eliminating them. I read 2 of Les books. Really smart, clever, realistic stuff. Les full time live off the grid. He's the real deal. They should face them off head to head, that would be a good show.

32. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Alot of times these shows try to get more out of the talent than originally contracted. I'm sure his departure from the show was under the advisement of his agent, lawyer, manager - If you agreed to do 5 things and suddenly they asked for 15 without any kind of compensation, well, walking is an option as long as you have F.O. money in the bank.

33. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

So if you got paid to go out in the middle of nowhere for a week and survive on your own while lugging multiple cameras with you to film it all yourself (including constant backtracking to get shots of you approaching or walking away or whatever) you wouldn't ***** once?

Right.

34. rlh11bravo

rlh11bravo Member

Les Stroud was married on a frozen lake then him and his wife left immediately for their honeymoon... which was to live out in the wilderness alone for a year... And filmed the whole thing! Les Stroud - Snowshoes and Solitude - YouTube Snowshoes and Solitude show's a real man doing man things, Man v.s. Wild show's a little kid doing stunts that nobody should ever attempt, especially when you are trying to survive in the wild!

35. sgtski

sgtski Member

One time drinking urine is enough to show that yes, it is possible to drink your own urine if it is necessary. In the Man vs Wild scenarios, it is not necessary for him to constantly do that since his camera crew are probably loaded with water and food.
    I get the difference between constantly moving and trying to get to civilization and setting up camp to survive. They are 2 different shows and i enjoyed both for different reasons. If i was to take anything away that i would personally use in a survival situation, I would go with Les Stroud. If i want something shoking to watch for entertainment, Bear Grylls is a great way to spend an hour in front of the TV. As for Les and his complaining, I think it does add to the sense of sharing his feeling of isolation. I like the Bear Grylls branded Gerber tools and the pants, they are decent products.

36. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

I prefer Will Willis on Spec Ops Mission.

Not only does he lug all his own camera gear and survive in the wild, he's got real military operatives hunting him while he's trying to pull off a realistic clandestine mission.

That simunition stuff they use in real M4's is no joke to get hit with, either - can cause death or serious injury if you're hit in the face.

37. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

38. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Bear Grylls: Ludgrove School - Class of 92 - Voted Most Likely to Drink His Own Pee."
    The dude seems obsessed with it. I drink alot of beer but don't constantly bring it up.

39. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Never heard about that until now. But it's on a channel I don't get.

Did you ever see Alone In The Wilderness, on PBS? Dick Proenneke moved to Alaska, built a log cabin, then lived in it for 30 years.

Alone in the Wilderness, the story of Dick Proenneke, by Bob Swerer Productions

Alone in the Wilderness - YouTube

40. leafman

I probably would, but I'd least edit it out in post-production.

41. DoubleD

DoubleD Sr Member

42. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Who says the talent gets a say regarding editing? :)

43. terryr

terryr Sr Member

It happened to be on PBS last night right after I posted.

44. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I watched The Special Ops Mission show, it was actually pretty cool. It was nice to see actual ex/current military members serving as OPFOR. I was scratching my head at that Jen X chick on the show though. Kinda scratched my head though when they had that Jen X chick on there though.

45. rlh11bravo

rlh11bravo Member

@terryr yeah I saw Alone in the Wilderness too and it was amazing! He didn't just build his log cabin, he BUILT his log cabin! As in he cut all of the wood, he lugged the gravel for his foundation, he cut the logs into lumber by hand, lugged tons of moss for his roof. What he did was awe inspireing!

46. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Yeah, it was amazing. Most 'survivalists' live off of stuff from the store and go back home after a few weeks.
    He was out there 35 years!

So what did you think of that Jen X chick on the show?

47. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Haha whoops, repeated myself. I thought women weren't allowed to serve in combat roles in the US military? If that's the case, I'm wondering what kind of combat experience she has. I know here in the CF, we have several tanker, arty, and infantry women. I went through basic with a chick that went infantry and she was a tank.

I only watched the Somali pirate episode with her but it really just seemed like she was T & A for the show. She didn't really do a whole lot.

48. rlh11bravo

rlh11bravo Member

Scareb you are correct that in all branches of the U.S. Military women cannot serve as combat arms, this includes but is not limited to: Infantry, Artillery, Armor, Rangers, Force Recon, Special Forces, and many others.

49. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

I have never liked Bears show, too many staged scenes and climbing things with a safety rope going down his shirt sleeve. Not to mention the guy never looks like he's spent a night out in the bush.

Les Stroud is definitely the man to watch. Very useful information and the guy uses a great deal of common sense amd will bail if things get too bad. He also has that puffy face you get when you go camping for a while, and have had a tough nights sleep.

He earned my respect in the episode he did here in Australia, he had eaten just a few Witchity grubs and Yabbies over several days. You could see he was incredibly hungry, as you would be. The day before he was due to leave he found a sheep and mentioned he could kill it and eat well. But there was no point as he was leaving the next day.