BB-8 Toy

Discussion in 'Collectibles' started by newmagrathea, Sep 3, 2015.

1. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

RC BB-8 made by sphero.

[video]https://youtu.be/i3OkEpkwC4E?t=4h4m41s[/video]

2. bartek

bartek New Member

newmagrathea likes this.
  3. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    MCM and newmagrathea like this.
  4. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wish it was bigger, but you cant deny that's an amazing engineering feat.

JPH likes this.
  5. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm excited for someone to get one of these and then reverse engineer a bigger version :cool. I kind of want one of these. I imagine it would be quite entertaining chasing my dog (the guy in my avatar) or my father-in-law's cat around :devil

7. jkno

jkno Master Member

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

9. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

UK buyers getting ripped off again at £129 :angry

10. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I ordered mine tonight. RC and gadgets is one of my main hobbies, and I've owned everything Orbotix has released. They've all been top notch, well designed products that withstand plenty of use.

I'm sure this BB8 will be no different.

11. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My cat will enjoy destroying this! :lol

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  12. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

You should dress your cat up like Kylo Ren and make your own fan film.

dejordzta likes this.
  13. VeryExciting

VeryExciting Active Member

14. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. VeryExciting

VeryExciting Active Member

I was thinking of the Target one for my Daughters that way they don't need to use my iPhone to play with it.

16. Gimpdiggity

I've seen the Target one move.

When it comes to a stop, it wobbles around a LOT. It doesn't have nearly as good of balancing technology. For a kid, I'm sure they'd enjoy it, but for an adult the Sphero will be a much better product.

17. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

OK People

Time to admit it... How many of you are buying this to take it apart to see how the mechanism works? :ninja

I know at least a few of you BB-8 builders have to be tempted. :darnkids :D

18. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And bought :D

19. MastahBlastah

MastahBlastah Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. Gimpdiggity

Here is a .gif of Hasbro's BB-8.

https://vid.me/A6dn

You can see how wobbly it is. I don't think there's any way it's one of the designs where the brain and wheels are in the head...the head would fall off based on how wobbly it is.

21. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

I have the Hasbro version. The head might have something in it for basic orientation as where the main eye looks is the direction it travels in but that's about it. Everything else is in the ball. In fact you have to put the main unit inside the ball. It moves quite slow but does make droid sounds and with the remote (uses infrared just like your TV remote), you can rotate the head independent of the body when stopped.

22. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

23. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

So, I bought the Sphero & just had it dropped off. Spent about an hour with it. If you know what you're buying, it is incredible. I'll list my pros & cons.

PROS-

The packaging isn't just a 'box'. It's heavy card, with a solid foam rubber insert that fits all the parts & accessories perfectly. It's designed to look like an 'in-universe' shipping crate that your droid would be sent in. Definitely made for long term storage, or just to look great on a shelf.

The app is very easy to use, but you can tell that with some time put into it, you can get pretty precise with the movements. It screams STAR WARS, from the music to the graphics. It really gives you the idea that the app was carefully put together.

The movement of the droid itself, is full of personality. The subtle head movements & sounds really give the illusion of life.

CONS-( in the same order)

Nothing bad to say about the packaging. Five stars across the board.

The app has the SW theme playing all the time, unless you sre on one of the function screens. You can turn off the droid sounds & even the interface sounds, but not the music. The holographic message feature looks like you'd expect, but can be kinda funny with the angles. Sometimes, it projects off the screen.

From what I've seen, the voice command isn't on the app yet, or I just haven't found it. I've also tried to install the app on my tablet (Lenovo Yoga 2), but keep getting a message that it's not supported.

The droid moves pretty realistically, unless you are at a higher speed. On a hardwood or tile/linoleum surface, there's a fair amount of rocking that goes on at a stop. Turns also tend to make the head go all the way down & smack on the floor, once hard enough to pop off, but there was no damage, & it's only happened at a really high speed.

as far as the head goes, as I saw in an earlier review, it's held on with magnets, but moves on a couple of wheel/rollers. These tend to get a little gunked up, much like an old track ball in the bottom of a computer mouse. It's easy to see when it happens, & a real quick rolling & wiping action on the wheels fixes everything right up.

These are just my first thoughts, so if anyone has any other questions/concers that they want to know about, just let me know (I'll be up for a while tonight...:facepalm:thumbsup).

Such a nerd.

dejordzta, Kevin Gossett and Serenity like this.
  24. FastballSpecial

FastballSpecial Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I need this!
    anyone else hoping for a life size version ;)

25. Gimpdiggity

I would buy one.

26. FastballSpecial

The display model in stores would work in the mean time :D

[​IMG]

27. Gimpdiggity

28. FastballSpecial

I was planning on wearing a red polo and khakis and just wheel it along saying "This guy needs maintenance" out to my car. Fool proof plan ;)

29. Gimpdiggity

I don't see any possible way that the plan could go wrong. :lol

30. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

31. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That model does lack a lot of detail, however.

32. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

Don't look at it as a finished project. Look at it like a good starting point. ;)

33. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

It looks identical to the one here in Long view as well.

34. cyberpyrot

cyberpyrot Well-Known Member

FYI guys GameStop online still has 10 in there warehouse ready to ship in case you guys are looking to avoid the price gougers on eBay I will have mine by Wednesday

35. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I was able to get one yesterday at a Best Buy. It's a really fun toy, my 2 year old son loves watching BB-8 run around the floor! He keeps running away from me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  36. jkno

jkno Master Member

My own BB-8 :p

bb8.jpg

robn1, dejordzta, Getoninja and 4 others like this.
  37. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

38. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

39. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

I got one as well.

My cat wants to attack it... But when its head turns and faces her she jumps and runs. 5 month old Maine Coone "kitten". It's hillarious.

She is yet to actually touch it.

40. darthvader073

darthvader073 Active Member

roygilsing likes this.
  41. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Getoninja likes this.
  42. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It seems that Bed Bath & Beyond of all places is stocking the Sphero version too. So that's another place to check.

43. Valor

Valor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked up the Hasbro version that's exclusive to Target. I like him a lot. He's a good size and the remote works quite well. I know it doesn't have the sophistication of the Sphero, but for almost half the price, it's a pretty great toy.

One thing I like is that the Hasbro version has carved panel lines (unlike the smooth painted details on the sphero). I found that painting some weathering really brings out the panel lines and makes him look more "scale model", less "toy". I even weathered the remote!

Attached Files:

bikemancs, E Williams, robn1 and 4 others like this.
  44. MastahBlastah

MastahBlastah Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Valor, that look awesome! A little weathering definitely goes a long way in this case!

45. Gimpdiggity

Seeing more and more of the videos is making me more and more excited for my BB-8 to show up on Tuesday. I should've paid for the Saturday delivery...oh well...it'll be here soon!!

46. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

Picked up a Sphero BB-8 at Barnes & Noble of all places. Fun little toy. And yes, despite what Sphero says, it really is just a toy... just a really expensive, really cool toy for grown-ups, like everything else we do here on the RPF.. hehe. Like others have said, the cat doesn't know what to make of it.. she'll chase it up until the point where I turn it around and start chasing her, at which point she wants nothing to do with it.. lol. Control is pretty solid, easy to get back in line if it loses which way is forward. Has a little trouble with deep carpet, as far as getting started, but once it gets some momentum going (it's surprisingly heavy for its size), it's fine going over the little bumps and stuff.

The only con I can think of is that I wish they could have made the sounds come out of the droid itself rather than the phone. Seems like it would have been pretty easy, but maybe they just didn't have the time or the space to put in the extra chips and speaker and stuff.

For anyone that was wondering, it does work with both iOS and Android... most of the articles I was reading about it before release only mentioned that it worked on iPhones, which seemed highly limited to me, but no worries, it does work on everything.

Oh, and an FYI for people just getting it set up for the first time. When the app tells you to hold the phone up to BB-8 to pair the Bluetooth, they mean it.. you really have to hold your phone like an inch away from the droid for it to pair. But once they're connected (you have to do it every time you turn it on), the range is pretty impressive, I can send him all the way down the hall and around the corner and he's still going.

Haven't tried out the "patrol" feature yet, but I might do that when I take him into the office next week.. lol. Let him run around the office on his own for a bit.

47. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Picked up a couple at the Disney store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Country Paul likes this.
  48. bdgr

bdgr Member

49. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

My Sphero BB-8 won't be here until next week & then my wife is gonna hide it away until Christmas :lol

so I had to go to the Disney Store today & console myself with the big Disney Store Sound activated one & I love it

it's a nice size & beautifully detailed (hard to pick up in the pictures but it's subtly weathered)

not many "toys" that I put on my display shelf but this little fella just bumped my medal of Yavin :lol

He can be either button or sound operated, head rotates & lights up with sound effects

movement could be smoother but I don't care for under £30 I think it's great

Attached Files:

50. Gimpdiggity

That is nicely detailed!