This so far has been made from 2 bowls I got from Party Galaxy and used a plate I got from Dollar Tree. I had to take my heat gun and soften the plastic and used a swimming pool filter cover for my mold and pressed formed the plate. So the top of the head would be curved. After that a took some ABS plastic shavings and acetone and made a sludge. that's bonds very well to most plastics. I glued the plate to the bottom of the bowl and that made the top of his head. There were stair stepping lips on the bowls that I cut off. Then cut off some of the plastic off the bowls on what is the back side of the head. I took out equal amount of plastic off each bowl so the two parts match up. I made more of the ABS sludge and taped the two parts together and added the sludge in the seam on the inside. The sludge take about three to four days to harden. Well that's where I am at as of today, i will be back in a few days to putty and sand and prime. I will mark out the eyes and cut them out after I prime the head. See you in a few days.
I wasn't happy with the simple shape, so I adding the the spacers on the bottom half to get the shape right. These are the basic measurements I started with. I will mod them as I work out better measurements.
I bought an inflatable costume for the fan unit to keep it a soft air filled suit. I wish I could make it out of latex sheets but I will use windbreaker material to make him.I had to edit this post, my cell phone was having issues.
I cut some strips out of ABS plastic leaving the strips too long, so I can cut to fit the the curve. I used a heat gun on the strips until the parts got rubbery. then using gloves I bent them into shape.
Then I put the rubbery strip in the dome and let it cool down and get hard. Once that is cooled down I mark what I need to cut off.
Once the strips are scored I used a vise to hold it and bend the plastic on the score and it just snaps apart.
After I snap off the extra plastic I put in on the dome to make sure I made it right. then I score on the strip and use a die grinder with a sanding disk and remove the extra plastic off.
I am 1/4 fo the way done on the strips going on the dome. The strips act like ribs on a boat that I will skin over.
This is the suit I bought at the Halloween store this year. It had the unit I wanted to inflate the suit. I took my wife and my two little girls to see the movie today and we thought it was great. And yes it pulled at the heart strings. I will be going back to see it.
The two bowls I used came from Party Galaxy and cost $5.00, I have not been able to find them on their website. I will find out what the part # is for the bowls next time I run into town and let you know what it is.
Let me try to explain what I did here. After I heated the plastic strip I would contour it to the dome as seen in the above post. After that I marked and cut to length, then I measured from the bottom of each piece. This one was 4.5 from bottom then I would mark the plastic. this will be the widest point of this part. On the dome I marked what each new part will be. The center was 3 off bottom then the next one on each side of center went up by half a line, so it was 3.5 off bottom. and this kept going until I got to 6 off bottom. So here you can see the increase on numbers on the dome. I would just eyeball the curve from end to end with 4.5 off bottom being the widest point.
Once I made the first one I would make its mate for the other side.