Battlestar Galactica - Cylon Centurion (Revell) Quick Build

jharvey

Hi All,
Thought i'd make my first post something hopefully interesting. I’ve been away from prop replica and model building for a while.

On Friday evening, I was watching videos on the Tested channel, more specifically the ‘Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Cylon Models with Battlestar Galactica's Aaron Douglas!’ video.

You can see that here:
https://youtu.be/LHITcrnGn1U

After watching that video, I was left feeling thoroughly inspired. On Saturday I decided to go get myself a model and start building again!

Well, upon visiting my local modelling shop, what was sitting on the shelf, the very same Cylon Centurion model.

Before I get into the pictures, I just want to make it clear that this was just a quick and dirty build with minimal paints. All in build and paint time was around 5-6 hours.

001.JPG
Looks quite clen on the picture. I don't think i'm going to create a clean looking Cylon.

001.JPG
Second stage in the build is the lower half. The model is really well made and the parts fit together very cleanly. I will clean up the seems a little but as stated, this is a quick and dirty build. :)

002.JPG
Right arm completed.

012.JPG
Here is a close up of the head section (the first stage in the build) and the left arm. For the inside of the eye piece, I used some of my wife's red nail polish :lol. The head is not glued on to it's neck yet. The neck area is fiddly and I wanted to wait until I had painted in there before attaching it permenantly. To be honest, it's such a tight fit I might just leave it at that (without glue).

013.JPG
So, the build is pretty much complete in his picture. I just needed to glue the head and shoulder section on top of the torso.

016.JPG
Another hot of the model prior to primer. I masked the eye in the head off.

019.JPG
First coats of primer going on. All I had was light grey, preferably I wanted dark grey or black.

020.JPG
As I said earlier, I left the head off so I can get in there with the paint. The head will be the last thing to go on. There's something missing, can you spot it?

021.JPG
Nice detailing on the left hand. I'm really impressed with this kit and it's a really nice one to start back into it again with.

022.JPG
Right hand is open as opposed to the left.

023.JPG
Head with the eye masked off.

024.JPG
With the primer dried it's time to shoot the base layer (Small tin of Tamiya Gunmetal Grey).

025.JPG
It's getting exciting now. Painting is one of my favorite bits!

029.JPG
With the base layers on, time to spray a light coating of the highlight paint (TS-30 Silver).

030.JPG
I do not want loads of the silver as that's not the look I am going for.

031.JPG
The head looking almost ready. Next stage is to add the detail work.

033.JPG
Here we are, model complete and painted. Actually can you spot the mistake yet? It was visible in earlier photos!

034.JPG
For the was I used a dark brown enamel wash from AK Interactive. Just liberally brushing it on and then carefully wiping it off for the desired look.

035.JPG
For me, I think the weathered and dirty look works well. The seems are fairly visible on the inner thighs but that's okay.

032.JPG
The finished model, on it's base. I painted the base with the same paints and wash.

So there we have. It's not perfect. I did also correct the mistake after these photos were taken!
I am so thankful to Adam as his videos online are so inspiring!

Might go for a prop build next.

Thanks! Yes, lots of fun. It was nice and straight forward.
Not sure what to go for next. I have an 80's issue M1 Helmet that I was thinking of converting into a saving Private Ryan or a Full Metal Jacket prop replica.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back