Battlestar Galactica 1/2 Studio Scale

Thanks.

I casted two parts. Better as expected. Now I will prime an paint one together with the other parts to see how it looks.

Greetings, Hermann

Hi

As someone who is making some enhancement parts for this kit too, I've been watching your progress. You're doing a terrific job.
I plan to re-do the landing bay parts pretty much as you're doing.

The new casts have worked really well. Looks like you managed to do a one part mold. How easy was it to pop the casts out though, would have thought those ribs would tend to lock it in a bit?

Great job :)
Nick

Thanks.

I casted two parts. Better as expected. Now I will prime an paint one together with the other parts to see how it looks.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/Lynx1964/Half Studio Scale TOS Galactica/IMG_4157.jpg

Greetings, Hermann

Hi

As someone who is making some enhancement parts for this kit too, I've been watching your progress. You're doing a terrific job.
I plan to re-do the landing bay parts pretty much as you're doing.

The new casts have worked really well. Looks like you managed to do a one part mold. How easy was it to pop the casts out though, would have thought those ribs would tend to lock it in a bit?

Great job :)
Nick

Hi Nick, thank you very much.:)

The master lost some of the ribs as I pulled it out of the mold.:D But the casts comes out without any problems.

Hermann.

Ok, the painting test is done.

I used Vallejo Panzer Grey as primer.

The grill at the upper side isn´t well cast. I forgot the talcum at this one... Ok, I will cast some more...

Then I painted the red stripes with Lifecolor and used tape to mask it.

After that the part got the main color - again Lifecolor, this time Light Grey

And so it looks without tape:

Here and there you will see some imperfections of my cast and painting. Something to do. For the first test it is ok - the panel lines survived the casting process very well.

Hermann

More pics under natural light.

Here are the parts for the interior, some painted, the first lightbox is already taped.

Bottom and roof of the interior.

Lights on

So it looks if you insert the lightbox

Next for the electronics will be the chasing lights.

Hermann

I noticed on the back of the gatorhead the top has a slight radius to it while the top of the neck, where it would butt up against the head, is flat. Is this area filled with detail parts? Can you take a close-up snapshot of this join area (where the head meets the neck) on yours? Thanks!

I noticed on the back of the gatorhead the top has a slight radius to it while the top of the neck, where it would butt up against the head, is flat. Is this area filled with detail parts? Can you take a close-up snapshot of this join area (where the head meets the neck) on yours? Thanks!

This is an area that needs a little tweak, I think part of it is a slight distortion when it's cast, there is a lot of hydro static pressure pushing on that back wall of the gator head. On mine i will be filling it with a bit of apoxy sculpt once assembled, it's much easier to use and protect the details. If you do it with using the minimal amount of apoxy sculpt, you should be able to get away with minimal sanding.

mike

Awesome Mike. Thanks for the heads up. Still weeks away from starting mine. Need to finish a project first.

Wow ! What a great thread on one of my favorite kits. Thanks so much for sharing Hermann!! It looks terrific so far. Keep posting updates. :)

Thanks!
Dave

Thanks, guys.:)

I casted two new end parts with 5 minute Resin. It worked very well. For the conection with the pod, I insert two 1cm magnets.

In the pods, I insert two 6mm magnets

The new end parts are light enough to hold without problems.

Layout of the underside. Nice comparison with the TimeSlip Galactica, wich is the same scale as the Monogram/Revell/Moebius Galactica.

I will use two 1cm brass tubes as stand. Through the right one will go wires for some led and the fiberoptics for the running lights. The controls and the led for the running lights will be outside of the model.

Hermann

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back