Battlestar FTL Key

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Gordon Gekko, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've never seen a proper FTL key from NuBSG, so I thought I would take a crack at it.

I'm not sure how many keys were made for the production, but I am aiming for this version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pics are a bit hard to read, since everything is in clear plex. CNC machined cylinder, laser-cut stacked plex for all the other parts.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to make a few more adjustments to the overall shape and machine out the cylinder for electronics and then on to final finishing.

I think the hardest part of this project, is finding the correct acrylic rod for the light up part. I'm hoping to hear back from a manufacturer on that end.:love

Thanks for looking, comments and crits :)behave) welcome!

-GG

2. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

It's been discussed at length before, so I bet a quick search will be good for you.

As I recall, the light rod is just a part of an inexpensive light up saber thing.

3. Gordon Gekko

I've seen the other threads, but no one seems to have gotten off the ground yet.

It's frustrating, I know exactly which light was used but for some reason, it's easier to find hens teeth. Someone on Ebay wants $40 for one light!!

I keep expecting to walk into the dollar store someday and see them lined up.:unsure

4. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

I obsessed over this prop after the first episode it was in aired. Alas, I never made one. I feel the same way about the little "lightsaber" thingy, I remember getting some at a dollar store years before, but never could find one with the lines once I started looking for them.

5. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Yeah, you're already farther along than most I think.

6. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

7. Gordon Gekko

:cry:cry

"We currently ship only to Australia. We ship all orders next business day via Australia Post (Delivery times for: Express Post and Regular Post). Postage is at cost only, calculated by weight and size."

At least it give me another search term.

8. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

ooh very nice. I'll be subbing for sure. This is rekindling my fire to finish up my munitions key. Looking forward to updates!

9. Gordon Gekko

Seriously Phil, thank you!! You totally jump started my search for the rod.

10. MoviefanAZ

MoviefanAZ Member

I now want one!

11. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you just need the rod then this will probably work for you: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Lightsab...O53A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1327025563&sr=8-6

12. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. If ya ever do a run, I'd be interested in one.

13. Gordon Gekko

14. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why are you making the body in acrylic when the screen used piece is machined aluminum?

Just curious. :confused

-Rylo

15. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

16. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man I really hope you pull this off. :thumbsup

17. Gordon Gekko

Cause I don't machine aluminum.:confused

18. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fair enough. Good luck with your project just the same. :thumbsup

-Rylo

19. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Awesome GG ,cant wait to see the ending results and lit up, I would definitely would like to have something like that laying beside my polystone BSG statue....OOOHHHHH !!!

20. SG-0

SG-0 New Member

21. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

22. Rik1138

Rik1138 Sr Member

Don't buy these, they are way too small... The exact model used on the original prop is an LED-Lenser brand Flash Fire, model LL7596. If you Google just the model #, you will find a lot of sites that have offered them for sale in the past, but they all seem to be out of stock... The model was discontinued several years ago, and they don't seem to be easily found anymore... I managed to buy a couple off eBay a couple of years ago, but never found them since (but haven't looked all that hard...)

The entire Flash Fire is about 5 inches long, with the acrylic part being about 3.5 I think... (I can measure it tonight if you want) Obviously cut shorter on the prop to get that angle...

Nice work on the key though, I almost want one just made out of clear plastic like that, it's pretty cool looking. :cool

23. bobatrek

bobatrek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll be watching - always wanted one too.

24. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

double ditto !

25. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

Triple Ditto!

26. Gordon Gekko

Hmm. I'll have to take a closer look at the key chains. I have one of the Flash Fires, but like you said, all sources seem to have dried up.

27. FuseNova

FuseNova Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It should be easy to duplicate the look. Any idea of the diameter of the acrylic rod? these are readily available in a number of sizes:

[​IMG]

28. Rik1138

Rik1138 Sr Member

And original rod is 4.5 inches from tip to base (before cutting for the FTL obviously) and is 3/8 of an inch in diameter. And looks exactly like the second one in that picture (with white fiber optics, or whatever those are).

(The whole Flash Fire is about 7 inches long, I was a little off on that...)

Rik

29. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Cool. where can you get them?

30. Gordon Gekko

If you have any sources, please let me know. I found a company in Australia that makes them, but the order number is huge.

I've seen several companies on Aliexpress that offer them, but I haven't heard back from any yet.

31. FuseNova

FuseNova Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I assume you're talking about 372acrylic. What is a crazy amount?

I searched acrylic rod line on ebay but only found 15-25mm tubes. Looks like we need a 9-10mm tube.

Alibaba has 10s or even 100s of suppliers and the minimums vary from 1 single rod to .2 metric tons.

Group buy anyone?

32. Gordon Gekko

372acrylic doesn't typically make the size needed, so they were looking at several thousand feet.

I've been waiting to hear from any company on Ali if they will combine shipping. The way they have it listed, shipping more than quadruples the price.

Not going to be a need for a group buy, whatever I end up finding, I'm going to pick up plenty of rod.:love

33. redlocker35

redlocker35 New Member