Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) - God Phoenix

anamorphicWayne

Sr Member
I was blown away from the 70's TV series, Battle of the Planets and always wanted the Phoenix as a model. I did have Entex's model set, Mark's jet and the Phoenix, when they came out, but I played them to death. So I decided to build the F-5 from scratch. It's made from styrene, wood, and aluminum.

god phoenix 11.JPG

2018-01 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-02 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-03 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-04 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-05 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-06 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-07 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-08 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-09 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

2018-10 BOTP God Phoenix.jpg

This, Starblazers and Robotech were my all time favourite anime series growing up too.
Still remember the incredibly stirring opening themes to them all , before losing oneself in their pretty ‘mature seeming’ (at the time) episodic stories...
Congrats on a terrific build, and Thanks for sharing ;)

As a kid I once tried to make cardboard Phoenix and what I remember gave me trouble was that depending on the angle shown, The Phonenix seemed to have different proportions. Sometimes the front would look narrower other times it didn’t. Other sections like the fuselage width would look different too. Drove me nuts! I

We also had Kimba The White Lion, Starblazers, Capt. Harlock, but they were dubbed in French. I watched them anyways even though I couldn't understand it. In fact, I originally thought these shows were produced by the French being so similar.

In the 80's I watched Robotech and Astro Boy. I then joined a Japanimation club and discovered other shows, direct from Japan. Shows like the real Macross, Iczer-One, Zeta-Gundam, Dirty Pair and Project A-KO.

Yeah, the Phoenix also drove me nuts as well. The drawings in the show weren't consistent from shot to shot. But when they had close ups, that's when things were the same. On this model, the biggest issue I had was with the three wings on the top. Again, drawings had them long and upright. While others had them stream line and angled back. Other issues were the intake vents sections. So in the end, I had to use creative license.

That came out AWESOME! Looks like you used one of the toys for detail references. I like it. Whats the size? Most recreations of the Phoenix are way to small.

Nice job.

I used to watch G-Force and Starblazers before going to school.
It was the highlight of my day.

In college a friend had a pen pal in Japan that would send him stuff.

Macross, Votoms, Orguss, Aura Battler Dunbine, Giant Gorg, Space Cobra, Dirty Pair, Dominion Tank Police, Zeta Gundam, Shrungle, Mazinga and some others.
(Probably spelled some of those wrong)

The video store I worked at had Galaxy Express 999. (With Capt Harlock)

I saw the first showing of Akira in the U.S. at the UC Theater in Berkeley.

That came out AWESOME! Looks like you used one of the toys for detail references. I like it. Whats the size? Most recreations of the Phoenix are way to small.

Thanks knightdriver2001. Yup, I did based some detailing off a toy. Not sure who was the maker of that toy. I'd thought it look good enough to use. I also referenced screencaps from the show for other details like the landing gear. For the most part, I redesign the ship in Illustrator and printed up templates. But I agree. Other than some printed versions, there's nothing larger. My Phoenix measures about 11"(L) x 12"(W).

Awesome work! brings back fond childhood memories:) You think the Phoenix is wonky, try making Speed Racer's Mach 5. That thing changes from every angle!

Robert:)

Thanks Robert. I guess quality of animation in them days weren't all there. One thing that impressed me about their animation, was the multi-shading.

Nice job.

I used to watch G-Force and Starblazers before going to school.
It was the highlight of my day.

In college a friend had a pen pal in Japan that would send him stuff.

Macross, Votoms, Orguss, Aura Battler Dunbine, Giant Gorg, Space Cobra, Dirty Pair, Dominion Tank Police, Zeta Gundam, Shrungle, Mazinga and some others.
(Probably spelled some of those wrong)

The video store I worked at had Galaxy Express 999. (With Capt Harlock)

I saw the first showing of Akira in the U.S. at the UC Theater in Berkeley.

Thanks division 6. G-Force was mine too as well as Robotech. Thru the Japanimation club, they had members bring 2nd - 3rd generation videos straight from Japan. So we watched stuff that wasn't available in the US on pre-recorded tapes. This was way before the internet. And I still have some of my Anime books from those days.

Akira. Now, that's a film I haven't seen yet. And I've heard so much about it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back