Battle: Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by SPS, Nov 3, 2011.

1. SPS

SPS Active Member

So I watched it last night. Enjoyed it. A couple of things that bugged me like the jittery handheld camera shots, but overall thought that it was rather good. After checking the web afterwards, I read nothing but seething reviews???
    What's the go? Have I completely lost touch with the understanding of what a quality film should be? Or is it just that movie critics are jerks?
    Cheers - SPS

2. Contec

Contec Master Member

it's a bad movie...crappy end...good idea but badly executed.

3. JasonCash

JasonCash Well-Known Member

I'm sick of reviewers, they always want some movie that's gonna be this huge life changing experience...what ever happened to just sitting down and enjoying yourself for an hour or two.......

4. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I thought it was a great video game--I mean it was basically just an actioner, pretty light on character and plot. I thought it was forgettable, but for 90 minutes or whatever I DID enjoy it. What I didn't enjoy was how it was so flagrantly propogandistic (is that a word?). At a few points I felt like I was watching an Army recruitment video.

5. Yarko

Yarko Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I didn't care about the recruitment effort. The movie was really exciting, the alien invasion felt scary and believable, the battles were epic and heroic, special FX and audio were really amazing... I do love the movie for what it is.

And by the way, am I the only one who doesn't care if good guys are american and love their country? Patriotism seems to be a sin nowadays. I'm not American, but as long as the characters are human and show such a human behaviour, I can like them and want them to survive. And being able to give your life to protect your country is admirable, no matter what the colour of the flag is (unless, of course, you take inocent lifes with you)

6. SPS

SPS Active Member

Interesting point you raise. I'm not American either, Australian, but it's so common place for films to be American that it sometimes seems a bit odd when they're not. Take for example, 28 Days Later. I thought it was pretty cool, but there's definitely moments, for me at least anyway, when it just felt strange listening to the British English. Nothing against the movie, but hearing an American accent appears to be an engrained expectation.
    At the end of the day, whoever happens to make the movie deserves to choose how it's heard, no? Just seems to be that most blockbuster films seem to come out of the US.

7. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

^ Hollywood is about the only film industry with the money to support the budget for Blockbusters and survive a loss if a movie flops.

8. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I thought it was a good action flick. Not every film needs to be a work of art. It felt a lot like Black Hawk Down with aliens to me. Just a good old fashion shoot 'em up war movie. The handheld camera work didn't bother me, and usually that does. Granted, I did not see the film in the theater.

I'd certainly rather watch this over Independence Day, or War of The Worlds.

9. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really liked it. I liked how the aliens were portayed. When I saw one alien dragging another fallen alien behind cover, I thought, "Wow. I've never seen that before in an alien movie."

10. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

This was not a perfect movie, but I REALLY enjoyed it! I loved that the military weren't portrayed as baby-killers. I liked that it wasn't anti-American. I liked that it didn't try to be something it wasn't. I liked that Michelle Rodriguez, for the first and only time in her career, didn't act like a *-off-at-the-world-I-am-woman-and-I-constantly-have-something-to-prove kind of person and you actually FELT something for her... that alone made the movie worth seeing.

The characters might not have had a lot of depth (neither did the story for that matter) but it was exciting and eventful and I really enjoyed it.

11. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

People have confused the ability to ridicule something with sophisticated taste.

Just because you go into a movie on a mission to shine a big magifying glass on every flaw, doesn't mean you somehow have higher standards.

More likely, their seek and destroy movie watching agendas are keeping them from actually enjoying themselves.

12. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Utterly awful - no plot, no characters, tedious design, boring set-pieces, horrid cinematography. The RPF is the only site I know where this boring POC gets a pass. Very odd.

protokev DMD likes this.
  13. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I enjoyed it for a 'one viewing'

Don't know if I'd ever watch it again, tho.

14. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

It was ok. I watched it a second time, same opinion. I dare say that Skyline (similar movie released just before it) had a more interesting plot.

15. cayman shen

It's no sin to be patriotic...I wish GI JOE had been a flag-waver. Ol' Larry Hama can make my chest swell with pride in my country.

What I object to is being flagrantly emotionally manipulated. It's the same reason I more or less roll my eyes at Saving Private Ryan. They're trying so hard it's almost embarrassing.

Yes, I love my country, passionately.

No, I don't like clunky, didactic, manipulative attempts at evoking it.

16. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I thought this was a great movie. Saw it twice in theaters.

17. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

First time at the movies? :lol

18. cayman shen

You know, I guess it depends on the topic. There's something dangerous in manipulating patriotism. So I can like Lars Von Trier, who's outrageously, shamefully manipulative, but dislike Saving Private Ryan. My inner "reader of dystopian fiction" starts seeing red flags when I feel like my patriotism is being coerced. I can cry at the beginning of Up but not at the end of Private Ryan. Does that make sense?

Not to say it's ONLY patriotic movies. The Butterfly Effect and Legends of the Fall both made me roll my eyes so hard I thought my head was gonna split in two.

19. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

if you thought this movie was bad, watch skyline first. youd think battle la is a masterpiece in comparison.

20. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

I value most movie reviewer's opinions: 9 times out of 10 if they hate it I think it's great!:lol:lol

I thought Battle LA was a pretty enjoyable flick...not a block buster by any means, but fun.

Robert

21. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I just liked that this film was portrayed from a military units viewpoint. More often then not these movies are seen from some civilian who is running around hiding from the aliens and somehow thwarting their plans. Instead this is from a military view so I enjoyed it a lot.

Also don't even compare this to that abortion of a film skyline. I will NEVER willingly watch that movie ever again.

22. Larry Young

Sure, I understand what you're saying, but I guess from a writing perspective, all storytelling is, at the core, manipulating the emotions in your audience. If the story doesn't invoke a passion of some kind in the audience, why bother telling the story in the first place?

I would submit that BATTLE: LA did its job on you in that it invoked such a passionate response. That's why it drives me nuts when people talk about movies and books and TV they've consumed and at the end of it say, "meh." That's the biggest insult to storytelling the Peanut Gallery can give.

23. Melanie

Melanie New Member

I watched the trailer and it seems to be a nice movie to change your ideas...

I think I will rent it soon !

24. cayman shen

Oh I hear you. But it's also the sign of a skilled writer to either a) not be too shamelessly obvious. You don't want the puppet's strings to show. You need willing suspension of even emotional disbelief or else your story is clunky and hackneyed. Or b) be so good the audience doesn't even care it's being played like a violin. Kill Bill comes to mind here. Toy Story 2. The Iron Giant. Yes, I was obviously being played, but the story was so * good I let it ride. Battle LA is no Iron Giant.

25. Larry Young

•*What's "emotional disbelief?"

• I hated KILL BILL VOL. 1 so much I never saw the second one. Talk about the strings showing. :lol

26. Melanie

Melanie New Member

( :) thanks ! )

27. cayman shen

"Emotional disbelief"...not sure how to articulate it. My way of saying I'm resisting allowing you to manipulate me? So if I suspend my emotional disbelief, I'm intentionally letting down my guard so you can have your way with me as an audience member.

And yeah, Kill Bill isn't everyone's thing, but the end is very emotional to me, so I used it as an example. But you get what I'm saying when I mention Toy Story 3 or Iron Giant, right?

28. Larry Young

Isn't this why people go to the movies? To be entertained, experience the story with a room full of other folks who've chosen to go see the same film at the same time? Isn't that the contract you have with the movie makers? You're paying them for the opportunity for them to entertain you?

I talk with A LOT of people about audience expectation and have for YEARS and I've never heard from anyone that they go have the experience but they resist it at the same time.

I mean, I can understand that if you need brain surgery, then of course you want the brain surgeon to prove to you he's the best. But with something as self-selecting as your own personal choice of entertainment... not going in with an open mind just seems self-defeating and... well... odd... for an entertainment choice.

29. cayman shen

It's not that I don't GO IN with an open mind. I do. But bad writers or actors can spend all your goodwill in a hurry. You've never rolled your eyes at some trite, cheesy, cornball sentiment, at a time when a movie was trying to have or provide deep emotional impact but failed? How about Vader's "Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"? I WANT to be moved emotionally, but I want it done skillfully. I want to be seduced. I showed up to the party; you don't have to slip something in my drink.

30. Larry Young

Naw, I haven't rolled my eyes at anything since I was about 13 or 14. I think rolling your eyes at something is about the most immature of all the nonverbal cues people have, and is the reason why when people use the rollseyes emoticon here I always type " **** that rollseyes emoticon and the horse it rode in on."

I am also notoriously easy to entertain. If there's some trite or cheesy or cornball sentiment in a movie that I find out of place (which would be impressive, because I love that writ-large stuff), I'd concentrate on the stuff in the movie I liked instead of the stuff I didn't. The fact that movies get made at all is such an impressive achievement I spot filmmakers a lot of points just for getting the stuff up on the screen.

Also, I don't have the huge problem with the prequels everyone else has. I don't mind the NOOOOOOOOO in ROTS at all. The one put into Jedi so Lucas has a parallel narrative structure after the fact is a hair more troubling to me, but I don't much like Jedi anyway and if I really cared I have my laserdisk rips to watch.

31. yt

yt Sr Member

I really liked the movie.

32. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Battle LA is still on my list to go see, under the "mindless yet entertaining" slot.
    (Kill Bill 1 Was PURE cheese!! And I loved every second of it!)

33. Mrjdogg131

Mrjdogg131 New Member

it is a movie, you are thinking of battle field 3

34. Larry Young

No, he's using a metaphor.

35. jfennell

jfennell New Member

Loved this movie. Another good BUG movie, so to speak. Didn't have to concentrate or try to 'read' the characters. Just a relaxing, fight for human kind, butt-kicking, shoot'em up mindless movie. Definitely won't win any Oscars, but heck those are overrated anyway.

UPDATE: 02252012. Liked the movie so much I have acquired 3 character full uniforms and a stunt rifle. Final battle, Cpl. Harris and stunt rifle, Tech Sgt. Santos from alien autopsy scene, and SSgt. Nantz hospital and bus scenes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  36. cayman shen

EDIT: whoops

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  37. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Finally saw this movie. I liked it a lot. I would describe it as Independence Day crossed with Cloverfield.

38. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Saw it a little while ago. Didn't see it in the theatre because I thought it would be crap. My sister, who saw Skyline and BLA said to go see it. So I did.

I didn't mind that there was little character development. To me, it seemed like we were supposed to just go along for the ride with whomever was taking us. I enjoyed it because it wasn't dull and it wasn't another "America vs. ________" so much as it was people against an outside threat. Being non-American, I appreciated that there was consideration given to the rest of the world - that this wasn't just happening in the USA.

My usual philosophy when going to the movies is to just go along with things. The whole experience should be like a good waterslide (one that keeps ya going the entire duration of the ride and doesn't stop anywhere in the middle).

39. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

If everyone viewed movies that way, they would enjoy them a whole lot more.

Instead it seems most people would rather pick a movie apart and bash it. They think it means they have a more sophisticated taste. Its the equivalent of making fun of others to feel better about themselves

40. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I like hamburgers, but I don't like having them all the time.

Sometimes I get to eat a fine steak. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it is amazing.

If a movie is the equivalent of a hamburger to me, that's okay. I just don't want "every" film I watch to be a hamburger.

I don't think anyone here has called anyone an "idiot", or "simpleton" because they liked a particular movie.

However I have seen people called "film snobs" or "elitists."

I guess the door swings both ways.

Having said that... :rolleyes

I just bought Battle L.A. on bluray last week. :)

Do I think this is a "great" movie?

No.

However I like "Aliens vs Earth" movies in general. My collection ranges from classics like the 1953 "War of the Worlds", to movies like "Mars Attacks", and even movies like the 2005 "War of the Worlds", and "Independence Day" (which to me is like a hot dog).

Kevin

41. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

I certainly do not mean to offend anyone. Just sometimes it seems as if the hate train gets rolling out of control. The Internet gets everyone in this pack mentality where they take down a movie as of they were out on the Serengeti.

In my opinion, if people just sit back and enjoy movies for what they are, instead of expending so much effort nitpicking, they might be entertained more often.

Everyone isn't going to like everything, but if you find yourself hating everything, might want to take time and reevaluate. Finding entertainment shouldn't be that hard.

42. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Wait for it.

Aliens.

OH SNAP!!

Audiences love ALIENS.

HOLLA!!

43. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the big thing with some is that they look for more meaning than what's presented on screen. Kinda like folks who read a book and delve into the text to find something more. Some really get disappointed when a movie is just what it is instead of something deeper. I find those folks tend to be more critical. Not hating, just stating my experience.

That said, I stand by my comments in favour of the flick. I like it and I thought it had some interesting and different elements that we don't usually see in alien attack flicks.

44. cayman shen

I can enjoy a movie on a surface level if it's well done, despite my advanced lit degree :p ANY movie has broader themes (courage, patriotism) that can be considered "meaningful." However, my problem with BLA is the opposite of the usual "hater" gripe: I think the deeper theme is TOO prominent and the film becomes preachy. I'm a relatively patriotic guy, but I tend to react poorly when a work of art pushes an agenda. I support gay marriage but HATED "Chuck and Larry." I support environmental activists but rolled my eyes all the way through "Avatar." I just think BLA was too ham-fisted in the way it tried to be all "America, **** yeah!" Kinda like "Independence Day."

To me, a perfect movie is entertaining on multiple levels. And it doesn't have to be dull, pretentious Oscar bait. "The Iron Giant" comes to mind. "Robocop" as well. (And many others that don't feature friendly robots :lol)

But looking back over the thread, I see I'm repeating myself, so I'm out!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  45. Art Andrews

This was on TV today and just reminded me of how much I enjoy this film. Not perfect (as I think I mentioned before) but I absolutely love that it is just a story, with no Hollywood message. No agenda. No BS. Just a great little solider's story that happens to include some of the coolest aliens and alien tech I have seen in a long time. Just seemed very well thought out. I want more movies like this and less like "The Earth Earth Stood Still" remake that was on right before it and was the essense of everything that is wrong with modern movies.

46. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Totally agree. This is why I think Dredd was such a great film.

47. Art Andrews

You know... I hadn't made that connection, but you are absolutely right!!!

48. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I find it funny that the vast majority of people who love this movie are either currently in the military or have been in the past.

The reason why is pretty simple: The way the military units behaved in the movie, how they moved, the tactics they used, the little details on how to clear a room, how they take cover, or even they way they double checked everything was extremely true to life. That is exactly how a real military unit acts in an urban setting.

As a veteran, I love how realistically the military was portrayed.

49. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I like that they portray the military guys as intelligent, caring and competent forces. You know, accurately. Just that is enough to make me like it.

50. yt

yt Sr Member

I never thought about it, but you nailed it. It also seems that most of the people who didn't like it were on the other end of the spectrum. :thumbsup