Battle-damaged Cap Shield

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, it took a couple of beers first, but I took the black spray paint to my formerly pristine Cap shield. WHY? ... Well, I've stripped and refinished it twice. and I'm still getting a haze appearing in my clear coat after a few weeks. Here's the thread showing what I mean: http://www.therpf.com/f9/clear-coat-questions-136909/

So, I figure, if the thing is battle damaged, I won't sweat every oddity in the finish. I'l chalk it up to battle damage. Plus, I've been paranoid about chipping the finish, especially on the edges. If you've ever had a new car, you know what I mean. The first couple of paint nicks really hurt.

Getting the effect was really simple. To get the bullet hits I held a can of flat black spray paint 5-6 inches from the shield and quickly fired a shot. Make sure you use a paint can that has a vertical thin spray tip, not a round one. I then dry-brushed the silver scrap in the middle of the black. The rest is various weathering around the shield. I didn't want to actually scrape or scuff the shield (damaging the metal itself) in case I change my mind and want to undo the weathering.

I also weathered the back. Mostly dry-brushing around the metal to make it look worn.

Hope I still like it when I sober up :)

Attachments

• DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 485
  • DSC_0153.jpg
    DSC_0153.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0159.jpg
    DSC_0159.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
That's awesome. :thumbsup :thumbsup

But then again, I'm a big fan of prop-weathering, in general.

Sell, it .... sheesh ... maybe, you guys are tempting. I got a bunch of cash into it. I'd need to ask a bit to make it worth my while ...

Very nice I was waiting for someone to do this right, this is the way mine will be getting finished now that I see this. :thumbsup Really makes the shield stand out from the rest of the builds, excellent work. :cool

Sold! ... To the same guy that bought my first shield ... I see a pattern developing here Ken :) On to version 3.0

Hey Valor (and everyone else that is so very helpful with the paint stuff), couple of questions. I just got my shield (long story, but it was just one of the blanks from Chris' second run with star) and it was painted beautifully by someone else. Unfortunately, I was frustrated that three of the points on the star weren't held down and proceeded to glue them down. I got superglue everywhere. At this point I'm thinking of either stripping the whole thing :( or doing something similar to Valor here. If I strip the whole thing and repaint it, what type of type is best to mask it off with? And does everyone use a straight edge/razor to cut the tape off?

Finally, Steve (valor), what kind of paint brush and paint did you use to dry brush? And would really high grit sandpaper hurt at all to weather it, just wondering if there is any other methods. so I'd love to do the same if that is the route I take. Thanks for all the help guys!

Aaron

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back