Battle-damaged Cap Shield

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Valor, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Valor

Valor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, it took a couple of beers first, but I took the black spray paint to my formerly pristine Cap shield. WHY? ... Well, I've stripped and refinished it twice. and I'm still getting a haze appearing in my clear coat after a few weeks. Here's the thread showing what I mean: http://www.therpf.com/f9/clear-coat-questions-136909/

So, I figure, if the thing is battle damaged, I won't sweat every oddity in the finish. I'l chalk it up to battle damage. Plus, I've been paranoid about chipping the finish, especially on the edges. If you've ever had a new car, you know what I mean. The first couple of paint nicks really hurt.

Getting the effect was really simple. To get the bullet hits I held a can of flat black spray paint 5-6 inches from the shield and quickly fired a shot. Make sure you use a paint can that has a vertical thin spray tip, not a round one. I then dry-brushed the silver scrap in the middle of the black. The rest is various weathering around the shield. I didn't want to actually scrape or scuff the shield (damaging the metal itself) in case I change my mind and want to undo the weathering.

I also weathered the back. Mostly dry-brushing around the metal to make it look worn.

Hope I still like it when I sober up :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

Good thing is if you don't end up liking it you can always re paint

3. darthwhitey

darthwhitey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Or if you don't like it you could always sell it to me...:love

I think it looks great!

brad

4. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I think it looks great!

5. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's awesome. :thumbsup :thumbsup

But then again, I'm a big fan of prop-weathering, in general.

6. nlschutd

nlschutd Well-Known Member

looking good! and if somebodyels wont buy it i will ! :p

7. fettster

fettster Sr Member

Very well done. Looks totally believable

8. kantgetnun

kantgetnun Member

Looks awesome! Let me know when you want to sell this one! Haha!

9. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Good job with the weathering. :love:thumbsup

10. Valor

Sell, it .... sheesh ... maybe, you guys are tempting. I got a bunch of cash into it. I'd need to ask a bit to make it worth my while ...

11. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

*, that is beautiful! :)

12. yt

yt Sr Member

Looks great, I may do that to mine someday.

13. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

Looks awesome!!

14. mandio222

mandio222 Active Member

realy good job, amaizing paitjob

15. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Awesome technique, thanks for sharing. You did an amazing job. It looks outstanding. :thumbsup

16. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Very nice I was waiting for someone to do this right, this is the way mine will be getting finished now that I see this. :thumbsup Really makes the shield stand out from the rest of the builds, excellent work. :cool

17. jagz

jagz New Member

Your shield is awesome. Love the effect of the black spray like its got scorch marks on it.

18. Mordor Brass

Mordor Brass Active Member

Wow.Great paint job.And very nice weathering.Simple method great finish.

19. Valor

Sold! ... To the same guy that bought my first shield ... I see a pattern developing here Ken :) On to version 3.0

20. Crusaderman2004

Crusaderman2004 Active Member

Hey Valor (and everyone else that is so very helpful with the paint stuff), couple of questions. I just got my shield (long story, but it was just one of the blanks from Chris' second run with star) and it was painted beautifully by someone else. Unfortunately, I was frustrated that three of the points on the star weren't held down and proceeded to glue them down. I got superglue everywhere. At this point I'm thinking of either stripping the whole thing :( or doing something similar to Valor here. If I strip the whole thing and repaint it, what type of type is best to mask it off with? And does everyone use a straight edge/razor to cut the tape off?

Finally, Steve (valor), what kind of paint brush and paint did you use to dry brush? And would really high grit sandpaper hurt at all to weather it, just wondering if there is any other methods. so I'd love to do the same if that is the route I take. Thanks for all the help guys!

Aaron

21. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

I used blue painters tape. If your shield has the grooved rings in the front I would mask the entire shield and then use a straight edge and cut the tape away using the grooves as guides

22. Valor

Hey Aaron, man I feel your pain. I've been there when "I'm just going to fix this little thing" turns into "I SCREWED-UP THE WHOLE THING - AAAUUUGGGHHH!!"

You're kind of asking a few different questions. I think the first thing you need to decide is do you WANT a battle damaged shield or a new looking one. One is definitely much more work from where you are at right now. But you should pursue what YOU want, or you'll probably regret it later.

Like I said, the amount of work from where you are to a) a battle damaged shield, or b) a completely refinished shield, are really different. I battle-damaged mine in an afternoon. If you are going to attempt a refinish, you're probably looking at the better part of a week, (or more depending on your skill and time available). And ask yourself how confident you are in your painting abilities. These shields can be a bit finicky. You could also pursue having someone else refinish it.

Regarding your battle-damage questions. The black spray paint was a simple flat black primer (this created the black scorch marks), and the silver scrapes are a silver metallic enamel. I used a 1" brush with just a wee bit of paint. Practice on scrap til you get the technique down. The cool thing about this is you are not actually damaging the underlying metal (which scuffing it with sandpaper would do). Meaning, if you decide you don't like the battle-damaged look, you can strip everything off and refinish it. You DO NOT want to scrape or sand fake battle damage, you'll wreck the spun aluminum look.

Regarding your tape questions. I avoid painters tape for this because you need to force the tape down into the grooves of the shield. I've found painters tape is not tacky enough to stay there – it pops right back out. I buy a good quality masking tape. I work my way around a groove, laying 6" pieces of tape overlapping the groove, pressing it down into the groove with my thumbnail. Then I take a brand new exacto blade and cut around the groove and remove which ever side I need to expose. The tip of the blade will ride in the bottom of the groove nicely.

Again, good luck!

Valor

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  23. Crusaderman2004

Hey guys thanks so much for the answers. This is why I love the RPF. I very much appreciate both your responses. I also realized that I was asking two completely different questions. That's what I get for typing in desperation at 11 at night. :)

Couple questions for you experts. If I completely strip the shield what has everyone found is the best process to completely clean the shield of paint (safely, avoiding any rust problems), keeping in mind there are super glue spots in a couple of isolated areas?

Now, if I go with the battle damaged look, would it be best to keep the super glue spots (which are just a few and not on the whole shield), or would I lightly sand them down? I can see that the super glue spots could just be chalked up to battle damage, so I'm not sure it'd be worth messing with them.

Anyway, thanks all for your responses again. Off to work, I guess! :)

24. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't sand anything! Sanding will ruin the spun finish as Valor has stated. Acetone can remove the superglue you may have to let it soak for a bit though. Keep in mind if you clean all the paint off with acetone it will also get under the star and the star may pop off. You can always re-glue it. I recommend a two part epoxy over super glue.

Another note on painting and masking.. I use frog tape.. love the stuff. And I use a v groove roller to press the tape into the grooves. Goes pretty quickly.

25. Valor

Here's another thought, depending on where the glue mess is you could possible strip ONLY the rings that have the glue. Acetone will take the glue off, and with a steady hand, only the area you want. Unlike paint strippers that you need to glop on, acetone can be wiped on and off.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  26. Roc74

Roc74 New Member

Ive seen the frog tape at walmart, but whats a v groove roller and any ideas where to get one? Thanks.

27. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can find them at homedepot or lowes. I am using one for pressing screening into grooves. I found one that had a v groove on it, though most are rounded. Plastic roller pizza cutters work well as well. :)

28. Crusaderman2004

Guys, again, I can't thank you enough. I've got several ideas on where to go with this now. And I definitely have a trip to the hardware store ahead of me.

Thanks guys!