Battle Damaged Batsuit

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Gojira, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Gojira

Gojira New Member

So this is sort of my take of the Dark Knight Returns armor:
    20150317_185050.jpg 20150317_185855.jpg 20150317_190459.jpg
    I do want to carry around a torn up Superman cape to show that Batman won the fight. I did redesign the helmet a bit too. I'm referencing Pacific Rim for the burned/melted armor look from Superman's heat vision.
    f8974c57fc45b89eb0a934b502940452.jpg
    I already have a good plastic mesh material as the layer underneath the armor. And I think the melted metal look can be achieve by just taking a blow torch to the foam. I'll experiment with that when I get there.

But I started working on it today actually! Woohoo for progress! I started the torso and a bit of the helmet. Might as well use my Spring Break to be productive before going back to college.
    20150319_165932.jpg 20150319_225307.jpg
    Hopefully the chest won't look so fat once I have the other pieces together. I definitely need to trim down the neck guard unless I decide to be an armored Count Chocula...next project? haha

RooBee likes this.
  2. Override

Override Active Member

SUBSCRIBED!!
    looking forward to the burn damage

3. Gojira

Gojira New Member

Haha thank you! I'm looking forward to the burn damage too. It gives me an excuse to burn some foam.

4. rclmzn

rclmzn New Member

I really like the idea of this suit ,also the fact you are able to give it a bit of story as well. Subscribed and good luck!

Gojira likes this.
  5. springsteel

springsteel Well-Known Member

This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see the carnage.

Gojira likes this.
  6. Gojira

Gojira New Member

Sorry I haven't made any updates. I've been working on paper templates to make sure things will fit properly. Also I keep redesigning the helmet. I just can't decide among my designs to choose.Nothing picture worthy on that. But I've also been playing around with making foam look like damaged metal.
    Here's some experimental damaged foam pieces: Supposed to be dented metal
    first attempt: 20150321_151006.jpg 20150321_151013.jpg second attempt: 20150322_112045.jpg

I think I have the right idea for how to make it all look dented I just need to work on the technique. All I did was make an imaginary circle and then make slits from the center out. Then heated the center with a blow torch lightly (could have used a heat gun) then hammered the dent spot while it was still warm. I like my first attempt better

springsteel likes this.
  7. springsteel

Looking good! If only you could make yourself a fist-shaped "stamp" out of wood and hammer that in for a nice Superman punch! Something else I just thought of, I've noticed that if I try reheating Worbla or foam that's already been painted, it gets bubbly and pitted (kind of like the reference images you showed). Might be something to experiment with. Does rattle-can spraypaint eat EVA?

Gojira likes this.
  8. Gojira

Gojira New Member

Funny you mention that, I was actually planning on making a metal (maybe wood, we'll see) fist shaped contraption in the hopes I can make a Superman fist dent. I typically seal my foam first before painting it. If unsealed, I imagine the spray paint will just get sucked up in the porous foam like acrylic does. I'll definitely play around with heating already painted foam, thanks!

springsteel likes this.
  9. springsteel

Any updates?

10. Gojira

Gojira New Member

Not really sorry. I've had a much busier semester than anticipated. I mean I have a bunch of paper templates I've made, but those aren't very exciting. I'm also just realizing my roommate "borrowed" my cutting mat and knives and hasn't returned those yet. So whenever I get those back, I'll be able to make the foam pieces. Oh I've also played with making foam appear melted. Here's what I've gotten with that:
    Here's a thick piece of foam: 20150321_002245.jpg And here's a thin piece of foam: 20150321_002258.jpg

I like the thicker piece as it helps show more depth, like a deep layer of metal armor has just been melted through. I assume batman would need some thick stuff against Superman

SocialMogo and DAVIDYR1 like this.
  11. springsteel

That thick burned piece looks great! And yeah, you'd likely need some pretty heavy-duty armor for Superman. Are you going for a suit a la Frank Miller DK Returns?