1. Welcome to the Want to Buy Forum!

The name of this forum alone is self explanatory. What you may not know is that any member can post a WTB request, but only Premium Members are able to respond to those requests. Why? Because this sub-forum is, at its heart, a sales forum, only Premium Members can advertise their wares and services by responding to WTB requests.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Want to Buy Batman's 2 piece/3 piece cowl from Arkham Knight

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by tehdarkknight, May 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Hi,

Been making an arkham knight inspired batsuit for a while now, but have not seen a corresponding cowl for sale.

I'm looking for a 2 piece (head and neck/shoulders) or maybe even 3 piece (similar to the arkham origins set up) cowl, if possible cast in easy flo or smooth on 65D.

I have got a limited budget (something around £200, approx $315 for the 'muricans), but if the quality is high, then I'm likely to give way.

Regarding size, not too big (over 24 inch head), but nothing under 22 inches.

If this is possible, I'll give more details.

2. KJC

KJC Active Member

I would love to do this. I have been wanting to do this cowl accurate to the game model with the separate parts. My idea is to do the top of the head and ears in resin with a metallic finish and the slight weathering as shown in the close up game screen shots, and the rest of the parts as urethane rubber with the sections in between as some type of mesh fabric.

3. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Sounds great, really like the whole separate parts idea, but where would you divide the head in terms of urethane/resin, and is there any way to make them look similar? Sketches would be appreciated, and good luck.

4. KJC

KJC Active Member

Here's the reference images I have that I used to determined how I'd separate the parts.
    face close up.jpg

Here is a mock up of how it would be divided and materials for each part.
    arkham knight cowl.jpg

As for making them look similar, they are clearly made from different materials based on the game model, so they would not look identical in real life. The soft urethane parts would be semi gloss black. The hard resin front face and probably back to the ears would be cold cast with metal powder then painted black and scuffed like the game model is depicted. My goal would be to recreate what is represented in the game model as opposed to just doing a solid urethane rubber or latex cowl. If you're interested, I'll post up my own interest thread in JY. This is something I've been considering making for a while, but I'd like to know I'd have buyers. I'd be looking at a price of probably $300 for this since it would be a multi part assembly with separate molds needing to be made.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Awesome, I'll get back to you in a bit because I've got a Physics exam :D , but the price sounds about right for the detail and all, just in addition, are you thinking of doing the neck piece/collar bone area or not?

The collar bone area is a bit detailed, and shouldn't really be one urethane part imo, so if not, then I'm sure I can do it with 1.5mm and 3mm eva foam, but what about the immediate neck area?
    Capture2.JPG Blue is the sort of ridged neck armour and red is most likely my bit (the eva foam idea).

All in all, it sounds like an awesome idea, but as I said, I'll get back to you later on whether I can or cannot buy it 'now'. arkhamknight6.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  6. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Update: yes I do have enough money for it, and will definitely buy it for the price, assuming the quality of the piece is the same as all your other work ( which I'm sure it will be).

Can you please tailor it to my head size or something similar? I wouldn't want to spend 300 usd and have it not fit me/ look bad, so if you do tailor it to my head size/ approximately, then I will definitely buy it.

Looking forward to it.

7. KJC

KJC Active Member

I would probably only do the cowl down to the jawline. For this suit, it looks like the neck and collar bone parts should be attached to the suit part and not the cowl. In fact, the UD replica suit has the ribbed neck detail. The space between the cowl and suit would be different for each person based on their body size/shape and how their particular suit sits on them and is built. As for sizing, I would be doing generic sizing for widest marketability. Typical cowls are 23-24 inch sized and usually fit well on most average people if you don't have a particularly small or large head. For this, I'd want to do 24 inch since the top portion going around the forehead would be rigid and not stretch or flex to various head shapes/sizes. To do it specifically sized to one person would defer other buyers and I would need more than one sale to justify the time and materials cost of producing and molding the master. To do this quality of cowl on a custom sized commission would be more than $300. The lower price comes from factoring in sales of repeat casts.

8. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Ok, having measured my head as 23-23.5 inches, I have decided that yes, I will purchase a cowl upon completion.

What would be the estimated completion time (1 month/2 months?), and when do you plan on getting started, as I may be out of the country after 2 months and a bit.

9. KJC

KJC Active Member

I'd be working on this among other projects for probably a month or two starting in June.

10. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Glad to hear it, keep me updated, and good luck.

11. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Hi, just wanted to know: how's it going?

12. KJC

KJC Active Member

I haven't been able to start yet. I am working with a prop company now and have been busy trying to finish off my commissions as well as my new work load.

13. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

That's fine, all the best with your other work :)

14. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

15. KJC

KJC Active Member

I've got a 3D modeler lined up. We're waiting on the PC release of the game to pull references.

16. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

I've already got the game on PC, I can upload some screenshots shortly

17. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

2015-07-04_00001.jpg 2015-07-05_00001.jpg 2015-07-05_00002.jpg 2015-07-07_00016.jpg 2015-07-07_00017.jpg 2015-07-07_00018.jpg 2015-07-07_00019.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2015-07-07_00020.jpg 2015-07-07_00021.jpg 2015-07-07_00022.jpg 2015-07-07_00023.jpg 2015-07-07_00024.jpg

18. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

19. KJC

KJC Active Member

Hey again, I've got mine modeled and have started printing the parts.
    arkham knight front.png arkham knight side.png

After seeing footage from the game, I am planning to do the helmet cast as multiple pieces separated like it is when he opens it to take it off.

Undertaker6x3 likes this.
  20. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

That sounds awesome, good luck!

21. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

KJC youll have another interested buer afterr the xmas rush im planning to commision someone to do the pep files of the entire costume but not having to make the cowl would be a big help looking freat

22. tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight New Member

Any news on the cowl, or are you busy?

As a side note, have you tried out the game, enjoyed it?

23. KJC

KJC Active Member

I've started my interest thread. You should be able to find it in the Project Runs section.