Batman v Superman Wonder Woman sword build

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Alright, I've been working on this for a while now, but I finally have some decent progress done that I can start to show pics :
WW_Swrod2.pngWW_Swrod1.png

Everything was 3D modeled or drawn by myself, the handle was 3D printed on my form1, and the blade was laser cut in MDF wood (both sides have the engravings and details of course.).
The whole sword end to end is about 37,5", with the blade itself 27,5".
I tried to put as much details as I could in both the blade and the hilt, especially in the blade engravings. There is still work to do, mainly gluing all MDF slices of the blade together and carving the edges, as well as making the raised details at the beginning of the blade. That's why there is a hole there, so I can 3D print it and just insert it in the hole. Once the master is done, I'll attempt to mold it, but I've never made a mold for something that big and "thin", so it's going to be a challenge for sure. If somebody has experience casting swords, please do share ! Otherwise I'll just paint the master.
But I'm really eager to experiment, possibly with cold casting for this one !

Yeah sorry, the lightning was bad and with the watermarks I didn't realise it degraded the visibility so much. Here are some pics in better lighnting and without watermarks, hoping nobody is gonna steal my pics this time around though.

IMG_4447.JPGIMG_4448.JPGIMG_4449.JPG

started to carve the grooves around the lettering with a dremmel, it's gonna need some good hand sanding to get that nice and smooth, then on to the other side.

Nice work. Don't blame you for the water marks when yo think back to your belt and how someone was using it to sell a bad file.

Got some more work done. Still a lot of cleaning to do, but it's looking a little more like it now.
IMG_4455.JPG

Well thanks. I've been working a lot on it lately, even got a shoulder tendinitis from sanding it so much by hand. But it's almost ready to be molded. I got most of my supplies, my resin, my real iron and bronze powders, and half of my silicone. Apparently I've swapped a bottle of silicone for a bottle of vytaflex urethane rubber by mistake in my last order. That's alright, I ordered the rest of my silicone and I'll find a use for the vytaflex. Hopefully I'll have some exciting pics to show in the coming days !

Thanks man. I'm done with one side of the mold, fiberglass jacket included, starting the other side today, then the fiberglass tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a first cast of the blade tomorrow. But then I have to start the process again for the handle, as I need a blade inserted to mold it, so I can cast them around a blade and insure a perfect bond between the two.

Focusing on the sword now, but I'd like to make the leather harness that holds it afterwards. WW doesn't have a proper sheath that I know of, so it's just a matter of finding a good match for the leather mostly.

Well the mold turned out a complete failure. Not salvageable at all, and almost 200$ worth of silicone down the drain. I even damaged the sword cutting it out of the silicone. Debating wether to try again with a regular 2 part mold or just give up.

It was a 2 thin part mold with a fiberglass jacket, instead of a simple 2 thick parts silicone. Unfortunately, it as if the ease release spray wasn't even there. Sealed shut. I did buy 5Kg of regular cheap molding silicone though, gonna fix the chip of the sword that's broken off and try again. I already have the casting resin I was gonna use, as well as the iron and bronze powder, so I might as well finish this, and maybe do a few extra cast for the junkyard to compensate for the loss on this. We'll see. But I was and still am relatively upset mostly because I was hoping to have one finished cast for a con in one week and a half, which is now going to be really tight. Especially if my silicone supplier takes his sweet time to send me the stuff like last time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back