Batman sculpture work. Chest is Cast Up!

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
Total is about 5 days work to this point. They're not the most current pics of this sculpt but those will follow when I'm ready.

Based on the information publicly known about Bale, we sourced someone who 'more or less' fit his size, weight and body form. Full life casts were taken of this guy and when complete, pics will follow of him wearing it too.

croppedone.jpg

The details on the Begins suit are deceptive at best. Not an easy form to decipher, but a straight forward sculpt once things look clear from all angles.
It's getting there...but I dont expect to finish it for a long time.

croppedtwo.jpg

Feedback welcome.
Enjoy.

David

Thanks buddy.
I really want this done to the best of my ability and to be able to show it off proudly. I'm happy so far, hopefully I wont need to drag this out too long.

I guess Bat's isn't that popular around these parts but I do look forward to some more feedback as I show more WIP pics.
Thanks again man and great meeting you.

David

Well its my favorite suit.

I loved the suit from batman returns. I always thought it should be more like armour as Batman doesnt actually have any "super" powers and would have to protect himself and when begins came out, well that was it. perfect design.

I have a begins bust which i plan to paint soon.

keep us posted with progress as and when you have it.

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ May 5 2006, 05:07 AM) [snapback]1238786[/snapback]</div>
Well its my favorite suit.

I loved the suit from batman returns. I always thought it should be more like armour as Batman doesnt actually have any "super" powers and would have to protect himself and when begins came out, well that was it. perfect design.

I have a begins bust which i plan to paint soon.

keep us posted with progress as and when you have it.
[/b]

Thanks fettster. :)
Yea, Begins is my favorite suit too.

Batman Returns eh?..I recall 'wanting' to fall in love with that design, I really really did...I mean the Batman 89 costume really touched me in that way that many of you SW guys feel about Darth Vader, Stormtroopers and BobaFett...so knowing a sequel was on the way meant 'hopefully' a new suit. Unfortunately I didnt 'feel' the same way about the returns suit. Sure, the suit of armor logic is there and I love that, but the design left me just wanting more. Still, we did get a million other cool suits after words anyhow and of course....the BEGINS suit now... :)

...a few more updates..

Little more work done here. Might be hard to see from the pics. You be the judge.:) Also these are once again older pics as I didnt realize they didnt get posted here until now. Sorry, I've just been really buisy with a million things currently and dont have much time to work on this after hours. I'm actually sleeping regular hours now too...still wondering how that happened.

I forgot to remove the fishing string so ignore that, and by the looks of these pics I have to reduce the cod area....yikes.
***cod area already reduced. I'll add new pics shortly..had a few camera problems after I dropped it...again... :cry .***

I'm really looking to get the bevelled edges done right. Not easy to make out all the details or how they 'fit' geometrically with eachother but I feel pretty good about how it looks. Still a work in progress...:)

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides4.jpg[/image]

Getting there....SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW.
:)

David

At the risk of sounding like your own personnal ass kisser but thats coming on great.

proportions look good as does the sharpness of the detail.

Keep us updated.

I think I said it in another thread last year, but you make me wish I had Bill Gates style money so i could buy you and have you make cool stuff for me for a living :p

Wow. That's looking great, David. Goes to show what the experience of a rough draft does for you; it's one of the best I've seen already.

I´ve done a (very) little sculpting, being artistically inclined and all, but David... the energy and work you're putting into this in incredible. (One of these days I'm really going to have to order something from you.)

Superb work. :thumbsup

/Joe F
Sweden

Thanks everyone.
I will admit it is nice to read the comments here and I truly appreciate you all taking the time to let me know your thoughts on this so far. I was actually tempted to take the next pics with a Vader Helmet on the top of the bust, just to stay somehow in the SW universe with this...LOL. Truly humbling comments here and I will certainly continue to do my best with it...maybe even finish it in this lifetime..:)

This Version is from Batman Begins. It's my 3rd attempt at it and 'hoping' 3rd's the charm.:)

Thanks for the comments once again bro's. Seriously, Much appreciated. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(GuntahKela @ May 24 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]1249758[/snapback]</div>
Is this the chavant clay you talked about the other day?

coughcoughAlso, XmensuiteinOctobercoughcough.
[/b]

Yes, that's right JC, Chavant. Seeing as my sculpting background since the mid '80's was water based clay, and I only gave oil clays a shot over the last few years or so I'm not yet comfortable with harder clays so this is Chavant Soft NSP. Water clay is soft and pliable so I still stick to NSP soft.
It's a great clay to sculpt with. I love it. The company is also fantastic. They do have quite a few different types of clays. Anything to suit the need, ability or desire from the artist. For now, NSP soft is my clay of choice and even though it's not a firm 'hard' clay, I still do my best to get good hard edges and will look to have a nice smooth finish when done.

Also, speaking of Chavant, I'm very grateful to them for adding my Predator head sculpt to their catalogue. That was also done in NSP soft. Synasp..finally finished the dreads BTW.... ;)

catalogue.jpg

As for the Xmen suits...man I get a lot of emails for those now. The new movie has certainly sparked that interest all over again and yes, I do love those suits but I'm just swamped at this time. I've shelved a lot of projects be it past and on going ones simply because we have no time to dedicate to their ultimate production or completion. Will that change in the future? Maybe, but for now our main focus is on our current contracts and I just cant risk inserting anything into the mix that will throw us off our current direction.

David

Still trying to make heads or tails from this new camera. Still old pics for now but while cleaning out my folder I found these...thought they were cool.
Gives a 'bit' of an idea of what's to come when it's all ready.
:)

clouds2.jpg

clouds3.jpg

I'm looking forward to posting CURRENT pics... :(

David

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back