Batman sculpture work. Chest is Cast Up!

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by DAVIDYR1, May 3, 2006.

1. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Total is about 5 days work to this point. They're not the most current pics of this sculpt but those will follow when I'm ready.

Based on the information publicly known about Bale, we sourced someone who 'more or less' fit his size, weight and body form. Full life casts were taken of this guy and when complete, pics will follow of him wearing it too.

[​IMG]

The details on the Begins suit are deceptive at best. Not an easy form to decipher, but a straight forward sculpt once things look clear from all angles.
    It's getting there...but I dont expect to finish it for a long time.

[​IMG]

Feedback welcome.
    Enjoy.

David

2. fettster

fettster Sr Member

looks good,

i hope it goes well for you

3. DAVIDYR1

Thanks buddy.
    I really want this done to the best of my ability and to be able to show it off proudly. I'm happy so far, hopefully I wont need to drag this out too long.

I guess Bat's isn't that popular around these parts but I do look forward to some more feedback as I show more WIP pics.
    Thanks again man and great meeting you.

David

4. fettster

fettster Sr Member

Well its my favorite suit.

I loved the suit from batman returns. I always thought it should be more like armour as Batman doesnt actually have any "super" powers and would have to protect himself and when begins came out, well that was it. perfect design.

I have a begins bust which i plan to paint soon.

keep us posted with progress as and when you have it.

5. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ May 5 2006, 05:07 AM) [snapback]1238786[/snapback]</div>

Thanks fettster. :)
    Yea, Begins is my favorite suit too.

Batman Returns eh?..I recall 'wanting' to fall in love with that design, I really really did...I mean the Batman 89 costume really touched me in that way that many of you SW guys feel about Darth Vader, Stormtroopers and BobaFett...so knowing a sequel was on the way meant 'hopefully' a new suit. Unfortunately I didnt 'feel' the same way about the returns suit. Sure, the suit of armor logic is there and I love that, but the design left me just wanting more. Still, we did get a million other cool suits after words anyhow and of course....the BEGINS suit now... :)

...a few more updates..

Little more work done here. Might be hard to see from the pics. You be the judge.:) Also these are once again older pics as I didnt realize they didnt get posted here until now. Sorry, I've just been really buisy with a million things currently and dont have much time to work on this after hours. I'm actually sleeping regular hours now too...still wondering how that happened.

I forgot to remove the fishing string so ignore that, and by the looks of these pics I have to reduce the cod area....yikes.
    ***cod area already reduced. I'll add new pics shortly..had a few camera problems after I dropped it...again... :cry .***

I'm really looking to get the bevelled edges done right. Not easy to make out all the details or how they 'fit' geometrically with eachother but I feel pretty good about how it looks. Still a work in progress...:)

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/bothsides4.jpg[/image]

Getting there....SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW.
    :)

David

6. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

dude you are amazing.

7. fettster

fettster Sr Member

At the risk of sounding like your own personnal * kisser but thats coming on great.

proportions look good as does the sharpness of the detail.

Keep us updated.

8. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

I think I said it in another thread last year, but you make me wish I had Bill Gates style money so i could buy you and have you make cool stuff for me for a living :p

9. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Wow. That's looking great, David. Goes to show what the experience of a rough draft does for you; it's one of the best I've seen already.

10. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

Is this the chavant clay you talked about the other day?

coughcoughAlso, XmensuiteinOctobercoughcough.

11. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Looking really great. Can't wait to see more. :thumbsup

12. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Oh man. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Great work David, can't wait to see more :)

13. Jediwannabe

Jediwannabe Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy cow Batman that's pure talent.

14. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Very very excellent.

15. synasp

synasp Sr Member

You never cease to amaze, David. What version sculpt is this?

16. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

:eek :eek :eek :eek

17. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I´ve done a (very) little sculpting, being artistically inclined and all, but David... the energy and work you're putting into this in incredible. (One of these days I'm really going to have to order something from you.)

Superb work. :thumbsup

/Joe F
    Sweden

18. DAVIDYR1

Thanks everyone.
    I will admit it is nice to read the comments here and I truly appreciate you all taking the time to let me know your thoughts on this so far. I was actually tempted to take the next pics with a Vader Helmet on the top of the bust, just to stay somehow in the SW universe with this...LOL. Truly humbling comments here and I will certainly continue to do my best with it...maybe even finish it in this lifetime..:)

This Version is from Batman Begins. It's my 3rd attempt at it and 'hoping' 3rd's the charm.:)

Thanks for the comments once again bro's. Seriously, Much appreciated. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(GuntahKela @ May 24 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]1249758[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's right JC, Chavant. Seeing as my sculpting background since the mid '80's was water based clay, and I only gave oil clays a shot over the last few years or so I'm not yet comfortable with harder clays so this is Chavant Soft NSP. Water clay is soft and pliable so I still stick to NSP soft.
    It's a great clay to sculpt with. I love it. The company is also fantastic. They do have quite a few different types of clays. Anything to suit the need, ability or desire from the artist. For now, NSP soft is my clay of choice and even though it's not a firm 'hard' clay, I still do my best to get good hard edges and will look to have a nice smooth finish when done.

Also, speaking of Chavant, I'm very grateful to them for adding my Predator head sculpt to their catalogue. That was also done in NSP soft. Synasp..finally finished the dreads BTW.... ;)

[​IMG]

As for the Xmen suits...man I get a lot of emails for those now. The new movie has certainly sparked that interest all over again and yes, I do love those suits but I'm just swamped at this time. I've shelved a lot of projects be it past and on going ones simply because we have no time to dedicate to their ultimate production or completion. Will that change in the future? Maybe, but for now our main focus is on our current contracts and I just cant risk inserting anything into the mix that will throw us off our current direction.

David

19. DAVIDYR1

Still trying to make heads or tails from this new camera. Still old pics for now but while cleaning out my folder I found these...thought they were cool.
    Gives a 'bit' of an idea of what's to come when it's all ready.
    :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking forward to posting CURRENT pics... :(

David

20. billy1974

billy1974 Well-Known Member

Awsome work David. Detail is really sharp. Keep it up :thumbsup . Bill

21. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Its bat man :eek

22. fettster

fettster Sr Member

thats really coming along great, looks dead on, please keep the pictures coming.

23. DAVIDYR1

Thank you guys... Very kind.

Weekly update...:)

Some WIP back pics..still some lumps in the clay but they'll get tooled out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front is pretty much done...some little tweaking but he's just about ready to be made uber smooth..

[​IMG]

The light off to the right plays a funny effect on this pic...amkes it look as if he's walking forward with one arm forward and one back..:lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little bit of time and this week he could be done...time time time...
    Critiques always welcome. :)

David

24. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

Wow Dave, that is just mind-blowing.

-Robb

25. MGC

MGC Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It seems completely beyond me that someone could do this stuff from clay. I've only used it a few times but I was absoultely awful with the stuff. It just seems more than impossible to me.

Incredible work, really.

26. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

dude you would make a killing selling copys of that for halloween.

27. fettster

fettster Sr Member

yet again im picking my jaw up off the floor, im gonna have a real problem unless you hurry up and get this finished.

awesome.

28. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Looking better with each pass. Sorry if I missed it, but what's your final material slated to be? Latex? Urethane?

29. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(westies 14 @ Jun 5 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]1256749[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks..
    Wont be latex or urethane.

Silicone for sure, and I'm giving this a shot with foam latex. Will be my first torso foam casting. Been working at it for a while...trying to find my comfort zone with foam but it's going to be a long and expensive road...still, time to try new things.

David

30. womo68

womo68 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That suit looks awesome. Don't worry about the negative posts David...there are a lot of keyboard commando's out there. Keep the pics coming and let those who say "they know best" prove it. So far you've done just that.

womo

31. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(womo68 @ Jun 5 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1256763[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Womo.
    I'll just keep doing my thing..their agenda is clear. I'm starting to feel I should apologize for having a life.. :lol :lol :lol

David

32. BelmontBat

BelmontBat New Member

Love seeing the progress, Dave. Now, if you had only sculpted half of it and photoshopped it to the other half, you might get some props.

Hella job.

DT

33. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(BelmontBat @ Jun 5 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1256774[/snapback]</div>
    :lol :lol :lol
    Thanks Warren...
    Unfortunately this is all elbow grease and patience......and I'm not computer handy anyhow.... B)

David

34. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

35. DAVIDYR1

Wow...thank you so much...
    You can never have enough reference material.

Truly appreciated.

David

36. Cptnchaos

Cptnchaos Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(DAVIDYR1 @ May 28 2006, 02:20 AM) [snapback]1251951[/snapback]</div>

I am moving to canada to be one of your costume models...

Damian

37. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Incredible. You never fail to impress, David. And thank you for sharing your talent with us here and allowing us to drool over your hard work.

You've got scary skills and attention to details. Keep it up. :thumbsup :thumbsup

D

38. DevilInThePaleMoonlight

DevilInThePaleMoonlight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Cptnchaos @ Jun 5 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]1256908[/snapback]</div>
    Oooh, can I help do a lifecast on ya big boy? :love

Great work there Dave. It's really coming along from when I last saw it.

Jonathan

39. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Dave you rock. You got skills and talent. Please keep us updated ...

Kell

40. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(kell @ Jun 5 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]1256957[/snapback]</div>

Thanks everyone.:)
    Damian...any time buddy. Let me know when you want to drop by....just bring your work clothes...:)

Jonathan, yea, been a while since you saw this...almost there buddy. If Damian swings by...you can bet you get the gig to life cast him from the waist down.... :lol

Synasp and Kell...thanks guys. Only my 3rd try at this....hoping 3rd times the charm. Appreciate the kind words. :thumbsup

David

41. Ben_Forsaken

Ben_Forsaken Active Member

Just,.......stunning really

42. DAVIDYR1

Ben_Forsaken,
    Thanks and hope to hear what you think of the finished sculpt. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 5 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]1256840[/snapback]</div>

Hey Thanks again buddy.
    Just went through all the photos and realized I had this link months ago...but lost it. This is really going to come in handy now. :)
    Truly appreciated...once again thanks man....

David

43. brin

brin Well-Known Member

STill as awesome as ever Dave. :thumbsup
    I missed the negative stuff, but I'll bet I know where it came from without even having read it.
    Keep your head up high, your work speaks for itself.
    -Brin

44. Cptnchaos

Cptnchaos Well-Known Member

[/quote]

Thanks everyone.:)
    Damian...any time buddy. Let me know when you want to drop by....just bring your work clothes...:)

Jonathan, yea, been a while since you saw this...almost there buddy. If Damian swings by...you can bet you get the gig to life cast him from the waist down.... :lol

Synasp and Kell...thanks guys. Only my 3rd try at this....hoping 3rd times the charm. Appreciate the kind words. :thumbsup

David
    [/quote]

* I KNEW there would be a catch involving Jon... :confused

I just might have to twist your arm for one of those... Let me know if you ever need models for your booths. Talk to you soon man.

Damian

45. DAVIDYR1

Damian and Brin.. :thumbsup

Ok some more pics.
    Begun evening out the clay..free from lumps and getting it smooth...here are some close ups..

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/sm4.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/SM3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/SM2.jpg[/image]

Seriously looking forward to this being finished.
    Enjoy.

David

46. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Jaw-dropping amazing. :thumbsup

47. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Words cant describe how good that is.

48. greatgarlando

greatgarlando Well-Known Member

:eek Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, :eek

49. celtic touch

celtic touch Well-Known Member

I just absolutely love seeing this work in progress, Seeing this made me go to my supplies and see if they sell this chevant clay as I so badly wanna have one of these, fantastic just cant say anthing but brilliant love it.
    CT

50. fettster

fettster Sr Member

just gonna say, awsome.