Batman, Robin, and Catwoman costumes underway - COMPLETED - Pics on pg 2

Coop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Last year I did a GI Joe themed "family" costume project - Major Bludd (me), Baroness (my wife), and Storm Shadow (my 7 year old daughter). It was a ton of work but we had such a great time at Phoenix Comicon that my wife suggested I do a Batman theme for this year - Batman, Robin, and Catwoman.

I'm not planning on adhering to any particular incarnation of the characters, but I do want them all to have a retro feel. I'm using the Sideshow Catwoman figure as the primary influence for my wife's costume:

And this is a pretty good idea of what I'm going for with the Batman and Robin costumes:

I really love the blue & grey Adams-style Batman, but I think I may have to go with a black & grey combo since I'll be sourcing parts from different vendors. I'm going to modernize the robin costume a bit with green leggings (instead of briefs) and boots, and a black & yellow cape.

I like to start with small details on my costumes to get a feel for the project. Here's some of what I have so far:

Amazing what you can do with a plastic garage sale sign!

For the "capsules" on the utility belt, I'm using metal cigar tubes. I cut them to length and then fit them over a dowel wrapped with a little duct tape for a snug fit. I have one finished and painted I'll post later.

Last edited:
Re: Batman, Robin, and Catwoman costumes underway

Are you giving Batman his super undies or are you going the same route as robin?

Made some progress on the belts this weekend...

Robin belt is just about done. I need to add some velcro to the belt. In the second pic you can also see what will be the base dor my Batman belt.

Decided to change direction on the buckle style for the Batman belt - and I may change it yet again. I hate it when I'm almost done with something and an idea pops into my head that I like better... :p

MDF covered in a layer of styrene.

Robin tunic is coming along. My sewing skills leave much to be desired but I think it's looking okay overall.

Great job!

Thanks!

I decided that my original Robin badge was too small (2.5"), so I'm making a new on that is more retro looking and larger (3"). Painting it tonight.

What is the best way to attach the badge to the tunic? Velcro? Glue (a la E-6000)?

Made a lot of progress on the Robin tunic this weekend...

5/16" grommets installed:

I was originally going to use wide shoelaces for the lacing, but found some ribbon-like material. I added stitching to each edge for some detail.

Pretty much all done. I have not attached the emblem yet. I'm leaning towards Velcro.

I'm also moving along on the Batman belt. I ended up making two different buckles. I think I like the look of the one that resembles an actual buckle more. I still have a few tubes left to finish.

I like the retro "R" for Robin much better, great choice. I really think this is going to be a kick ass end result over all. Just love what I've seen so far!

Thanks guys! I'm currently working on the Robin cape. I'm doing a black/gold combo. Pics later!

Made some progress on the Robin cape this weekend:

The pattern - ridiculously simple - spans about 56":

I'm using yellow/gold satin for the lining - the back side is visible here. It doesn't have the same sheen as the primary side:

Black crepe material for the outside - the less shiny side will show:

Two pieces pinned together for sewing:

It's all sewed up! I just need to finish the collar. More pics later.

I also finished the Batman utility belt:

Wow, that's so clean and crip, amazing work! Can't wait to see more :thumbsup

Finished the cape!

I used theses Dritz hooks (in black) to close it. They're the same hooks I use on my Vader cape. Very sturdy. I finished the collar with some double-fold bias tape. Worked pretty well, I think.

My duaghter saw a pic of Damian Wayne's Robin costume and really liked the boots, so I (she) decided to go that route. Found some knockoff DM's on ebay, added some red laces, and voila!

Her costume is complete, except for the gloves. The green gauntlets shown in the pic a few posts back just don't look that great, IMO. I'm going to have to do something else for that component. I'm going to put her in the costume tonight and take a couple of pics to post later.

Wow, her costume looks great. It looks like you've got your hands full with a feisty little Robbin there. I can't wait til my son gets old enough to do this.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back