Batman from Cardboard, Foam, Duct tape and anything else I can find LOTS OF PICS

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by writefast, Oct 22, 2011.

1. writefast

writefast Active Member

First: Ive never done anything like this before so dont laugh.

Second: All credit goes to the fine efforts of Omel http://www.therpf.com/f24/batman-ba...ic-heavy-some-stuff-done-kids-costume-126746/ and Chimmera30 http://www.therpf.com/f24/batman-dark-knight-eva-foam-116224/. Anything that is broken or screwed up is totally my fault.

After wandering around through a couple of different ideas and a couple of hundred threads I finally decided that I wanted to do a Batman costume. As I said before Ive never done anything like this but you guys... you people make it look so easy... alas. It is not. But here's what Ive done.

So, I could only find one pep of Batman's cowl and I didnt care for it so I decided to create my own. I used closeups of a fantastic Dark Knight model/toy found here The Dark Knight | The Pop Culture Junkie. This is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this point it's all cardboard and duct tape. I looked at Omel's cowl and never could get my head around how it was made so I riffed my own idea. I have since learned the secret of plastic bags and duct tape.

Really doesnt look awful so far... so here is where I start to go wrong:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is thin craft foam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. writefast

writefast Active Member

Now I'm pretty unhappy with the cowl so I've put that aside and started work on the rest. I didnt take a lot of process pics for these, pretty basic draw, cut, and paste work.

[​IMG]

Did this work last night.

[​IMG]

From the top. Thats camping mat foam for the pecs. Got two roles from WalMart for 6 and change a piece.

[​IMG]

And this is what I'm working on now.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  3. writefast

writefast Active Member

The cowl, btw, took a long time. 6 to 8 hours would be my guess but that may be high. I have to squeeze this in between everything else I have going on so it's 5 min here, half an hour there, so it's hard to keep track.

4. writefast

writefast Active Member

The neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the end result:
    [​IMG]

This is all done with cardboard wrapped in duct tape.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. omel

omel Well-Known Member

hiya writefast....great to see that my diy budget build tdk has inspired someone to begin his own suit, there are lots of templates for foam bats here on RPF contributed by great members, also on BOTB (http://bbrotherhoodofthebat.runboard.com/t215838) and The Cave (http://bthecave.runboard.com/f4). this kind of build really is a hit and miss method, dont be discouraged, attitude is all thats needed, looking good so far, keep it up and keep everyone posted.

hers is a link for a batman duct tape you might find helpful, saw this after i made my first cowl ( would have helped lessen my hit and miss with the first attempt. lol)
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Duct-Tape-Batman-Mask/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. writefast

writefast Active Member

Hey Omel, thanks for the kind words. Love your work.

Yeah, I came across the same instructable after I had already finished board work on the cowl. At the same time I also came across this work of art Batman Cowl . I wish I had found it earlier as the style would have suited the hard lines on my cardboard build perfectly. Could have gone with a Batman: Animated style costume from there. Ah well. Perhaps next time.

Parksdesign likes this.
  7. writefast

writefast Active Member

Abs. Camping foam with craft foam accent.

[​IMG]

8. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Sir, your build is looking very good. Keep it up...

9. writefast

writefast Active Member

Thanks man!

10. writefast

writefast Active Member

Slight enhancement to the chest.

[​IMG]

I should say that I used a pattern to get the basics on the chest and abs. I have hunted all over but have yet to find the creator. I know I DL'd from a link on this board but I cant find the d* thing. To the creator of that pattern: Thanks in abstentia!

11. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Lookin great! I am just about done my Dark Knight suit. I really like your chest piece! I have gone through about 5 versions and still can't get one I like. How did you get the bottom bits to form like that? That is just what I need!

12. writefast

writefast Active Member

Hey thanks Egon! The bottom of the chest is just craft foam cut to fit. It's so flexible that it molded naturally, making that nice sort of smooth valley you see running under the pecs. All I did was run a bead of hot glue just below the camping foam, attached the craft foam and that was it.

13. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Sr Member

That is really coming together. It never ceases to amaze me what some common items can be used for with someone who has imagination and talent.

14. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Ohh, when I tried the craft foam it was not sturdy enough for the tension i put on it = /. I tried two brands, foamies and Foam Zone. The Foam Zone seems to be better in my opinion. Looks like you are using a couple different types of foam as well.

I would love to see pictures of the back of the chest piece and how it all attaches when that time comes!

15. writefast

writefast Active Member

Bandit-Jedi thanks man but I assure you I have neither. I do however have internet ;)

Egon, I'll show you the pics but all you're going to see is wide strips of duct tape! I'm not sure what my plans are for the back as yet. Playing very much by ear at this point. Also, I am using two diff types of foam, thick camping mat and thin craft foam. Haven't had trouble with either tearing but then I haven't put them under a tremendous amount of stress.

16. writefast

writefast Active Member

17. writefast

writefast Active Member

Shoulder 1. Well this was a pain in the astro spanner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now I have to do it again. ugh.

18. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Wonderful! I thought that looked familiar, but I didn't want to assume.

I have been trying to get the shoulder bell template up, but I haven't had time. I will say that making the second piece that fits under the bell attached to the tricep armor will probably give better movement in the arms..

19. writefast

writefast Active Member

Shoulder bells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. omel

omel Well-Known Member

those bells are looking good:thumbsup, yep i agree w/ egon,the tricep piece and the part that attaches to the initial bell should be separate for better mobility, prolly attach them by elastic straps . thats the mistake i did, my bells and tricep piece are all attached to each other:thumbsdown, will be re-doing it after halloween ( i doubt i can fix it before that)

21. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

is that you tony stark???... getting your hands on the bat suit?... lol:lol

nice work man... keep it up!

You and omel are very inspiring and feel like pushing me to follow your foot steps...;)

cheers!

22. PrimoOptimoso

PrimoOptimoso Well-Known Member

The armor is coming along great so far! If you're having issue with the domed shape of the cowl, you can try something I did a few years back... The craft store should have plaster-impregnated cloth strips, like cast bandages. You basically just tape a layer of plastic film down to your head (don't cover your face; safety first!) tightly and papier-mache your head with a few layers of those plaster bandages - gives you a perfectly shaped base on which to build whatever head accessory you like!

Here's looking forward to the rest of your budget batsuit!

23. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Good tip on the plaster bandage strips. I might have to try that soon! Think I might try it on a magneto bucket. Thanks for the tip!

Those shoulder bells are lookin good! I like the bit added on the interior, I might add something similar to mine.

24. jackhellcrow

jackhellcrow New Member

Wow, Its coming out very nicely. Keep up the work \o

25. Shellhead

Shellhead Active Member

"A little tape and a lotta patience goes a long way..!"

This is great! Cant' wait to see how this turns out!

26. writefast

writefast Active Member

A vambrace.

[​IMG]

Man, Halloween is gaining on me like the freaking Headless Horseman.

27. writefast

writefast Active Member

I ended up making the bells too large. Not sure how I'm going to fix that.

28. writefast

writefast Active Member

hmmm ... That's not a bad idea. An Iron Bat costume...

29. writefast

writefast Active Member

Dude that is an awesome idea but I am trying to stay within the "what I've got laying around the house" budget. Having said that... I may have some elmers glue laying around here...

30. writefast

writefast Active Member

Thanks gents! The learning curve on this has been steep but worth it.

31. Plugz

Plugz New Member

This is how I got my start. Keep up with the cardboard and someday you'll get into the heavier stuff. Practice makes perfect.

32. omel

omel Well-Known Member

ei writefast, dont forget to cover the insides with duct tape as well, so sweat wont get to the cardboard and make it go all soggy:)

if you're find the bells a bit big for your taste just trim away at the edges small increments at a time

33. writefast

writefast Active Member

Two vambraces.

[​IMG]

Proportions got all out of whack on these. Blades are much larger than they should have been. Alas. My eyeballing has failed me and Halloween looms.

34. writefast

writefast Active Member

A harness to begin to put this all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. writefast

writefast Active Member

Playing around with different mounting ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Looking really great! Love that chest piece.

37. SGT Tasty Wheat

SGT Tasty Wheat New Member

It takes talent to start with so little and make it look so good. Nice cuts on the cardboard especially. Good job man, keep it up. I'd love to see this finished.

:thumbsup Bob

38. writefast

writefast Active Member

Alas. Fail.

Was not able to finish the thing before Halloween. Overtime at work had to take precedent. I barely had time to paint the pieces I had and end the end just could not get them all to work together the way I wanted to. I wore the cobbled together ensemble until it literally fell off. Ah well.

I'm starting next year's build now. ;)

This is what remains of The Dark Knight 2011:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  39. ironmanpreston

ironmanpreston Member

nice work. love your gauntlets. are you done with your suit?

40. writefast

writefast Active Member

Ironmanpreston I did not finish the build. My deadline was too short, my skills too few, and in the end I started to not like the design at all. I cobbled together what I had completed and wore it. Within 20 minutes the unreinforced cardboard began to tear. Alas.

I may revisit and finish this build later but to be honest the more I studied the DK's armor the less I liked it.

Now, Iron Man on the other hand...

41. catkraze

catkraze New Member

I love it!

42. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

this is the kinda stuff where true talent and determination rise to the occasion. Looks fantastic so far brutha

43. writefast

writefast Active Member

Thanks man! This build has been mothballed for the time being. I got the Iron Man bug and decided to see if I could knock out a MK III. This time I've given myself 10 months instead of the 30 days I gave myself with TDK. It's going good so far.

44. alphamale57

alphamale57 New Member

nice work

45. moses23

moses23 New Member

Pretty awesome dude

46. nislo

nislo New Member

Do you still have the template for the shoulder bells please