Batman Fan Film Discussion. Updated 3/24 W/ storyboard beginning

The Armorer

=BATMAN FAN MADE SERIES DISCUSSION THREAD=

Now, before you go :behave this is not a thread about a currently planned or otherwise ongoing production of a fan series of Batman, I just wanted to ask a few questions to see if producing a fan made series would work. Now onto the questions I have...

(question 1) I'm not Bruce Wayne, I don't have the means to make a series, let alone one that encompass a character like batman, so it would have to be funded through donations (i.e. kickstarter) and would require a lot of money (by my standards, not Hollywood's) to make. In your opinion do you think that there would be enough people willing to donate to this cause? (2) Also does anyone know of DC's rules regarding asking for donations, or contact information that would result in talks about making a series (yeah, I know they would if they could, and they might, but I just had to ask), I'd appreciate info on this subject a lot.

(3) As far as props go, I have no worry about procuring/commissioning the props I cannot make, and with the props/costumes (given the funding) I'm sure I could come up with not 'drop-dead-gorgeous' props, but adequate definitely I can handle, and with funding for the materials a given I'm sure I can find people to help me or make them, so that isn't a big issue (more like a plus :) )

(4) Story, at lest the world that the story would take place would be realistic (no Tim Burton florescent worlds :wacko ) and would be very realistic/present day, but it would not follow the traditional Dark Knight mandate, being that there would be a lot bigger play of light and shadows, and Batman's ability to slip from both (costume wise). Also the target city where this would be mostly filmed in would be the great city of Chicago. There would also be new designs on the characters, not 180's on their current statures, but not the run of the mill designs that have existed in the comics, films, and shows that we know.

(5) About me, I'm a current hourly shift worker, and no, I do not have any 'experience' in this field, I'm book learned about screenplays and stories, but I know how a film 'should' look and how to play off color effects and related aspects of the film. I would obviously bring in more talented people to fill the gaps and create a working body to produce this, if given enough of a feedback/reaction and technical guidelines with DC, to create the script (story) and come up with a budget and production schedule and would push on to the fund raiser.

*Edited*

As far as a little more info on me? Well, here comes a blah blah story folks.

My name is Seth Lind, I'm 18 and I live in Montgomery County Indiana, which in all honesty is a half hour drive from any city worth mentioning. I have started a film group (not company yet, since we haven't got our first short film underway, though currently it is in the writing stage) called Voices in the Night (though I don't think it will be wise to use that name to do the fan film, being that I've heard it's ill advised to put fan films on your resume due to some technicality with the rights owners of something).

My skills are very, well undeveloped :p . I haven't worked on any film project before, but it's something I've wanted to do, for a long time now. I know there is a lot more to filming than just filming, and I'm eager for my chance to progress through every level of it.
My current skills are, Concept Art, Screenwriting, and though I haven't my costume creation skills are decent with pepakura, but I haven't really done much else, though I'm not against helping create the unique props and costumes needed for the film, in fact if there is necessity for it, I'd like to be involved in it.

I have met over the internet a few other indie film makers, the 249th Regiment, and although we both have different genres and methods, we both try for the same thing, originality, seriousness, and professionalism in our films.

I have let one of my new film friends (an acting student at Purdue University) to get the word out to his friends, but I haven't heard back from him yet as to if he knows anyone that would be interested as of yet.

In essence we will need everyone and everything, as I do not have any of the required equipment to produce this. In essence. I have to lean on volunteers and others to make this. I can give you the story, and the direction, but I will need your contributions to make this happen. If you want to see this made as much as I do, then you will have to help me make this.

So let me know if you would be in, and what you could do.

for instance.

Camera Operator: What camera do you have? What experience do you have using it and what other projects have you worked on?
Video Editing: What's your editing software? What experience do you have using your tools and what other projects have you worked on?

(just as examples.)

Also as far as props, I am not sure if it would be a good idea to make up a list of what we would need as of right now simply because most of it is still being decided on, but it probably will not be following the Tim Burton film style, but that's all that's decided as of right now.

When more details of what we would need come to surface it will get posted.

Also, I'd appreciate when you post, write you approve or disaprove of this idea. I can take all of the advice I can, but it doesn't mean anything will come of it if there isn't enough people on board. So even if you don't have anything to contribute, just drop a line saying that you would or wouldn't like to see this made. Thanks.

For concept art look for post(s): 60, 83, 97

For story overviews look for post(s) 65, 82, 108, 120

The Armorer

P.S. and for the trolls... Post 131! :p

Last edited:
Re: Batman Live Action Fan Series. Any interest?

Batman Dead End - YouTube
If it's this one, yes, I've seen it, and yes yes the shadow element would be comparable, no it wouldn't have aliens. And it would be an 8 part series, instead of an eight minute short, and a lot more story.

Sounds like fun. I'm not to far from the area, and depending on the timing, I wouldn't mind helping out.

I've always wanted to do something like this for Spider-man, but the special effects would make it tough.

I'm in northern Indiana, I'd be willing to help out with this project

2 things you need to keep in mind:

1)people will not just give money to you. you have to at least have something to back up the claim of wanting to make a series. like, a fight scene, or an SFX scene. when people have something visible, the will much rather give you money.

2) do not underestimate the cost of this undertaking. props and costumes alone will run you at least in the range of something with three zeros in the back, unless they get donated. you need permissions in certain areas to film. you need gear (video, audio, light, etc), VFX, actors and crew, who, even if they work for free, you have to at least care for with food and drinks.
8 minutes of episode for eight episodes can take more than a month of filming

you say you have no experience in filming. that is bad. that automaticly pushes your staff up. if you intend to do something like this, you want to keep crew to a minimum, and do as much yourself as possible, so you can control the outcome. remember, even if people are willing to help you out, after some time their interest will fade, and the stuff will begin to be half assed.

i dont want to discourage you, but it seems like it might be a little big.
anyway, if needed i can help out with vfx/sfx, as long as its not too much (extended cgi shots etc)

I have a tone of Batman props that I have made. I would be happy to help with this project!!! it sounds like fun.

2 things you need to keep in mind:

1)people will not just give money to you. you have to at least have something to back up the claim of wanting to make a series. like, a fight scene, or an SFX scene. when people have something visible, the will much rather give you money.

2) do not underestimate the cost of this undertaking. props and costumes alone will run you at least in the range of something with three zeros in the back, unless they get donated. you need permissions in certain areas to film. you need gear (video, audio, light, etc), VFX, actors and crew, who, even if they work for free, you have to at least care for with food and drinks.
8 minutes of episode for eight episodes can take more than a month of filming

you say you have no experience in filming. that is bad. that automaticly pushes your staff up. if you intend to do something like this, you want to keep crew to a minimum, and do as much yourself as possible, so you can control the outcome. remember, even if people are willing to help you out, after some time their interest will fade, and the stuff will begin to be half assed.

i dont want to discourage you, but it seems like it might be a little big.
anyway, if needed i can help out with vfx/sfx, as long as its not too much (extended cgi shots etc)

All very good points. I know I have no experience, but that's something I'm planning on changing down the road, I'm currently trying to pull together a script for a short that I'm ballparking to be filmed at the end of the month or sometime early February, so before this would ever get to any major point I'd have something on my resume (hopefully).

About the props, I didn't mean to sound like I'm a know it all about props, I know that there is a large price tag on good props and costumes, and it will be written into the budget for everything. And about that, there is plenty of films/shorts that have been funded by this method, and continue to be funded by them. I know there is a lot more to it than that, having a resume on previous works, talent and experience in this field of work is a definite requirement, but you can't make anything out of air, and that's one of the reasons I haven't made anything yet.

Also with prop donations/lending, if this thing picks up speed then we'd probably let people know of any props we could use then with what we are looking for, I'm kind of happy to see I'm not the only one that would think this could be a good idea :)

-The Armorer

Last edited:

If you decide to seriously undertake this project I'd recommend reading anything you can from Felicia Day on indie film making for the web. While her projects have been a lot different from what you're attempting but the basics are the same and in the beginning I don't think that she had any more support and experience (except maybe as an actor) than you do.

If you decide to seriously undertake this project I'd recommend reading anything you can from Felicia Day on indie film making for the web. While her projects have been a lot different from what you're attempting but the basics are the same and in the beginning I don't think that she had any more support and experience (except maybe as an actor) than you do.

Thanks for the link, I'll be looking into her and her accolades deeply. And yes, I do want to seriously do this, it's just a matter of getting enough people to do this with me, and getting enough money to allow for it to be produced.

-The Armorer

Hey, man!

I'm on the West Coast, so I can't lend a hand in person, but once you have scripts I would be happy to help you break them down (something a 1st Assistant Director does on a movie) and give you my meager insights into what your production issues might be and where you're looking at having budget issues.

I certainly don't know what the legal status of something like this would be, but it doesn't seem like Batman Dead End has received a C&D from either DC or WB... so I imagine that the line might have something to do with not making a profit. If you're doing it just as a fan, with the sole intention of sharing it, then maybe you are okay.

While filmmaking technology has never been more accessible, the thing big studios still have is scale of production -- that overall scope that gives it "production value." I'm not saying this as a discouragement. More that as an independent production working on material that has some big production elements, you just have to be creative and smart about your resources.

It's Batman, so I assume a lot of it will take place at night. Shooting at night can add to your costs, as lighting becomes a greater issue. That said, the video cameras that are now available deal with low light better than film often did in the past. You're talking about shooting in Chicago. Awesome. It gives a lot of value just from being good looking and having a somewhat Gotham City look to begin with. I imagine you will be running and gunning more than doing big set-ups that might get you noticed... I don't know the state of the Chicago Film Commission (or whatever the film office is called, and if it is a city deal or a state office) but going legit and getting permits to shoot, that can get pricey. You might want to think about locations and figure out where you steal shots that have the skylines and the street life you want, and where you will be in back alleys that can be shot in locations away from the city, more controllable by your crew, and yet visually appropriate enough to cut and match. Just thoughts. Assuming you will be getting some kind of camera (Nikon 7D or 5D?), do night photography tests and figure out how much you can shoot with available light. I'm sure you were already planning on something along these lines.

I agree with Eye of Sauron that things add up, even when it's just little by little, and it can get out of hand. Yes, just feeding a completely volunteer crew really adds up. But that said, times have never been better for getting out there and just making it happen. The cameras and their price range that are out there, the accessibility of desktop editing, vfx, and sound editing... All these things are in your favor.

Make sure you're getting good sound while you are in production, and when you get yourself to post hit me up and we will palaver about sound design. Everybody thinks about picture, and most people are noticing picture while they are watching it, but sound is the unnoticed factor that gives films their deepest sense of reality. Janky picture with seamless sound, your brain can handle that; great picture with sound that jumps in quality from cut to cut, or that doesn't create a rich greater context, your brain will resist the material.

Just thoughts. Good luck with this.

A LOT of great advice, even though I don't have hands on experience with film making, I've been doing my best to take everything I can into consideration before deciding anything, I appreciate more than these words can be read the insight and suggestions.

The biggest issue from the start has been budget, it's why I started this thread, to see if there would be enough people interested and willing to support this to it's needed funding. I've never been good at adding up all of the costs (don't worry, I won't be doing it alone) and for the most part it's just because I haven't been on set or in official pre production before, so hopefully there will be some people that have more insight and knowledge about everything (or just a few things) that I can sew the program together and make things work.

I appreciate the offer to go over sound development/production Heiro, sound is a forgotten art that I personally would like to see more articulation in films. Also if this picks up (if crossing my fingers would help, I'd have every digit and ever toe crossed :p ) we may be talking more by skype or whatnot.

Okay, a direct question for class... Does anyone know how to contact DC (and probably Warner Bro's.) about filming rights? Making it 'for profit' would definitly help with the funding, but then again, also would come with a lot of red tape, but it's something I would like to see down the alley and where it leads.

-The Armorer

I am also on the West Coast but if possible to put me up I would find a way/time to head into Chi-town for the right project. I attended some years in film school at Southern Cal before settling in Oregon and working in the tech industry.

Projects like this will "I can't stress this enough" add up in costs. If you can find backing for this that is amazing but plan on spending your own money. Live this dream man and make it happen there is a ton of content out there for you to use and WB/DC is pretty loose with cares as long as you are not taking money or claiming to be any part of their studio in any form.

As for permits...Big cities will give you a run around most times because there is no long term source of taxable income for them. Not in all cases it really depends on what you are asking to do. If it would contain anything stunt wise or possible injury they may ask you to carry insurance before a permit can be issued. Either way I would be happy to help where I can as it sounds like most of the other guys in this thread.

The chances of DC/WB giving you filming rights and allowing you to profit from this venture, especially as it involves Batman, are pretty much slim to none. Even if it was something they would be willing to consider, the cost would be so prohibitive, as to make the whole point moot. They wouldn't even allow Smallville to use any of the Bat characters, they tried every season, but Warner Features kept saying no.

Currently, Michael Uslan and Benjamin Melniker control the Batman film rights.

as long as you dont make it for profit, and state that you are not affiliated with warnerbrothers and DC, youre safe.
there is no way that they will give you the rights for making money. also, you dont need their permission for fanfilms etc, as long as its not for profit.

If you really want to do this, stsrt small and work your way up. Do a 2 minute sketch and see how that goes.

Its like all the plans you see for super fancy iron man suits. All these plans and discussions when the op hasnt made a helmet yet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I agree start off with a trailer and see what kind of reception it gets. Where are you located in Indiana? I've always wanted to be part of a fan film.

Okay, I do agree a preview of what could happen/what to expect to happen in the series would be the best promotion, but the money to rent equipment hire operators and the rest of that fun joy isn't in my pockets at the moment, and probably not for a while. So if there would be something a go it would have to be all volunteer work.

"I agree start off with a trailer and see what kind of reception it gets. Where are you located in Indiana? I've always wanted to be part of a fan film."

I live in Montgomery County, which is in the middle of nowhere near central Indiana. My 'playgrounds' are Lafayette and Crawfordsville. Kokomo would probably be how far North I could go without it getting really expensive to travel.

As far as budget, it would have to be large, just to pay for the room and board of the crew and actors during the filming process, as well as props (I never meant to assume that this wouldn't be one of the largest costs) and as previously pointed out, the right equipment for the job (low light cameras) and permits and insurance.

All of these reasons are why I started this interest thread, there isn't a point in spending time doing pre work, making all of the plans for it not to even come close to raising the needed amount of funding.

Last quick note, I'll be sending an email or two to DC about this project. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath in waiting, thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

-The Armorer

ok, few more things:

you dont need high end gear
got a friend with a DSLR? everything from a canon t2i can shoot full HD video. its a common mistake that camera makes film. any camera that can shoot at least 720 p will get you good results if you weild it right. on the other hand, a red epic or similar wont get you good results if you dont know how to use it. that is one piece of gear, that is very hard to master.
also, if your friend has a camera like this, he probably has one or two lenses.
thats all you need. he probably also knows a little about shooting video with it (otherwise, why would he have the camera, its not the best cam for photos, but a good allround cam for filming and photographing), so maybe he can help you with shooting. pay him a few beers for his time and a pizza. total cost for this: about 15 bucks

for sound recording, everyone has a cellphone. everyone has those headphones with a built in microphone, that come with modern phones.
those are decent microphones. i wouldnt use them for feature films (obviously), but for dialog scenes etc they are very good. just use the internal recording tool on the smartphone for audio. if youre lucky, the friend with the dslr might even have a shotgun microphone, that attaches directly to the camera. with a little bit of audio cable, a long stick and a little tape, you got yourself a shotgun mike. combinations of those two will get you decent audio, for a no budget trailer
before the scene starts, do a loud clap, so its easier to synch audio afterwards. allways have camera audio running, otherwise it will be a pain to synch.

which brings me to my final point, lighting. to film at night, you need a professional light rig. also, you need to have power to get it to run. that wont be possible if you do not have filming permissions. but there is a way easier and cheaper solution.
film during the day. use available light. do a day-for-night alteration in post. i can guarantee you, this will look 1000% better than a scene shot at night without a proper light setup.

there is tons of youtube tutorials, on how to do that. its not the hardest thing to do.
over all, you should learn everything you can from this site:
heres just a few of the tutorials that lend itself for a video like this (not just day for night, a lot of other stuff too)
VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals
VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

lastly: dont contact DC
best case scenario is that you wont hear anything from them
worst case scenario is they say you cant do it.

they will not give you permission to use it i can tell you that for sure. they dont give out freebies.

so, if they tell you you cant do it, then youre done. because if you dont ask, you can still say you didnt know. but after they tell you, you have no excuse.

so, basicly, you can do a short scene (a minute+) with about 30 bucks(of course without costumes) and a friend. you need your actors, a camera man, and maybe a boom operator.

hope that helps you
youre overcomplicating things.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back