Batman DE: My first costume build Completed (Pix Pg 2)

Re: Batman: My first costume build (WIP)

That's a fantastic job so far buddy! Thanks for sharing what you have learned so far, it's a build that has a vast amount of attention to detail put into the development, much appreciated! I've also been inspired by the Dead End film but am planning on an Arkham Asylum/City build.

Cowl lining tutorial link - thank you!!!
Talc works but I'm in pain everytime I remove mine.
Cheers! :)

mustave monkey, Thanks for the compliment. I hope that the lining works out for you. It's so simple and totally worth it. I'd loveto see your AA/AC build. Have you started a topic?

Another quick update, but first let me say that I've never sewn a thing in my life. A huge thanks to my mother-in-law for helping me.

I spent the day working on the cape. I bought some black satin fabric last week that I had been planning on using. The plan was to get the basic pattern sewn and then hit it with the latex. Yesterday I found some black satin stretch material that has a really nice look and feel. It's much heavier than the original stuff I bought. So I thought it would be better not to add any latex to it. I'm leaving it as is.

I am using the basic bat cape pattern floating around the various forums and run boards. You know he one, 11' diameter, divided into nine sections, with 5" scalloped ends. I started by building a pattern to use for cutting the fabric. Using tissue paper I created a pattern for a single panel in the cape. Using the panel I measured the position to ensure that I was leaving enough room for the second panel to be cut from the same square of material. So lesson one, standard fabric bolts are like 60" wide and in order to fit two 66" panels it must start at least 3-4 inches from the end of the fabric, which meant that the 66" pattern measured about 71" from the top. I pinned the pattern each time to ensure that cuts were as close as possible. I managed to get the 6 panels pinned and cut individually in 2 hours.

On to the sewing. Of course the panels were not perfectly uniform, but I found that the stretchy material managed to trick me on two of my panels that ended up being about 2 inches longer some how. I figured that since I would be trimming the neck area to get the right position and size that it made sense to sew from the bottom and line up all of the scalloped points.

WRONG!! When the six panels were sewn it had spiraled around the neck with each piece extending longer than the next. The result was that the cape when draped over my shoulders had the seams all crooked and twisted. It looked terrible. Scratching my head for a while, I couldn't figure it out. So I pulled all the stitching out and thought to give it another try. There are two edges in this pattern, the straight edge is the edge of the fabric that runs length wise. The bias edge runs right angle against both the lengthwise and crosswise grains, it's always more stretchy and has more give than the others. Lesson number 2, start from the top points first and sew with the straight edge on top as opposed to the bias edge.

It ended with the six panels actually lined up both on top and bottom, although I may need to do a little trimming at the ends. It drapes just perfectly over the shoulders and all the seams line up just right. I still have to finish the seams, probably a nice flat felled seam. Also this week I will work on cutting the neck line and figuring out how I'm going to attach this thing to myself.

The completed pattern:
View attachment 72123

The pinning:
View attachment 72124

The twisted cape:
View attachment 72125

Last edited:

Another update.

I enlisted a seamstress I know to help me finish the seams that edges of the cape. It came out amazing. It's pretty amazing what you can do if you have the right equipment. She was very impressed with the work that I had done on the cape at the point, and was very happy to help to me out. The finish result is great.

Yesterday, I found out about a halloween contest at my work today. So I rushed home to try and complete some gauntlets and put the chest emblem on my suit.

The gauntlets are made from grey and red Nike shin guards painted matte black on the center, and I left the grey and sprayed the red. I didn't have enough time to pick up foam or plati-dip, so I improvised and made some fins from thick cardboard and masking tape, which I spray the same color as the shins.

View attachment 72653View attachment 72654
View attachment 72655View attachment 72656

Finished:
View attachment 72657

The Chest emblem I glued using Locktite super glue gel. There's never enough glue in those things. I started but positioning the bat on the shirt while I wore it. Next I used masking tape to outline where the bat was positioned on the shirt. Then I used a large piece of cardboard and put inside the shirt. I stretched the shirt slightly so that the bat fit inside the masked area and pinned it. I glued one half at a time to ensure that the position was even.

View attachment 72658

For eye black, I went to a costume store that carries professional clown make up. I bought a black Color Cup, some setting powder, and sealing spray.

Altogether for the first time!

View attachment 72661

It feels so awesome! I'm really enjoying this today. I got some crazy looks and shouts this morning on my way to work. My whole company just absolutely loves the suit!

Feeling pretty proud about my work on this build.

Even though I completed a usable costume for Halloween, it really was not my initial goal.

I've taken a break from the actual build over the last few weeks but I have not stopped thinking about it at all. I've been planning list of upgrades that include:

• Adding pleats to the back of the fabric cape
  • Creating a slim chest emblem from latex
  • Creating a printed base suit with muscle pattern
  • Creating my own gauntlets
  • Creating shin guards to match
  • Building a more functional belt
  • Creating a latex cape

I have a lot of learning and researching to do to complete some of these items. Especially in the sculpting and casting department. The armor casting is still a mystery, but looks like a good challenge. I'm planning on resourcing and getting all materials before starting. I'm also looking for some classes in my area on sculpting techniques and casting, etc.

Anyway, I hope to provide more information as I learn how to accomplish some of these things.

Hey man
Hit me I have the accurate measurements for the chest emblem , and possibly some accurate gloves.
still working on mine ,amongst others, slowly but surely getting there.. Also I have a couple of big accurate pouches to go with your belt :)

Cheers

Alex

Hey man
Hit me I have the accurate measurements for the chest emblem , and possibly some accurate gloves.
still working on mine ,amongst others, slowly but surely getting there.. Also I have a couple of big accurate pouches to go with your belt :)

Cheers
Alex

Hey Alex, I'm definitely interested in the chest and the pouches :) I'll send you a PM.

looks really nice, look forward to seeing it all together

Thanks swfanfgirl.

Awesome job. It all looks great so far. Can't wait to see it all with the upgrades that you have planned.

Thanks DestinedAnarky. I've started some of the upgrades but have not made much progress. The main items I've worked on so far are new gauntlets, and a new suit. I'll post some photos of the partial work I did on the gauntlets.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back