Batman Begins Foamies w.i.p. and catwoman(pic heavy)

joee

I started off with TDK project
IMG_1781.jpg

but slowly transitioned into a batman begins suit. I used the "archytextural" patterns from botb. Used some ideas from machina28 (botb),chimmera30 and fullmetalsam. thanks to all RPF'ers for making this possible.

First I started with printing and cutting all patterns to foam..
batman004.jpg

I shaped the chest with a heat gun and mannequin..
batman003.jpg

I literally chiseled the abs with a wood burning tool and an xacto knife..
batman001.jpg

batman002.jpg

Glued Together..
batman006.jpg

Glued in speaker wire and rubber tubing..
batman008.jpg

ready for sealer..
batman009.jpg

sealed with 2 layers of h2o/flexbond "milk" solution..
batman011.jpg

Dried and ready for plasti-dip..
batman012.jpg

Dry and ready for straps.I found that the combo of flexbond and plastidip gives the look of a full latex piece.
batman017.jpg

Props..
"Cape Clips"
IMG_1771.jpg

"Grappling Gun"
IMG_1779.jpg

"TDK sticky bomb launcher"
IMG_1775.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Batman Begins Foamies w.i.p. (pic heavy)

In regards to the (h2o/flexbond "milk" solution); Is flexbond an actual product name? I've never heard of it but I am intrested. Would one pick this up at any big box store, or is this more of a specialized item.

Great looking Foamie armor, I may give this a whirl.

That's actually pretty darn clever! By far the best foamie Bats I've seen yet. There are a couple of little symmetry imperfections, but the results on the cheap are incredible. Great job, I want more!

Thanks everyone for the Comments. I'm hoping to finish this by the end of the weekend.

In regards to the (h2o/flexbond "milk" solution); Is flexbond an actual product name? I've never heard of it but I am intrested. Would one pick this up at any big box store, or is this more of a specialized item.
Flexbond is a latex/glue product made by Rosco.It is used for set design and a whole lot of other apps in the film industry. I found a multitude of people using this product on the forum. So I tried it out. Fullmetalsam has lots of good tutorials on his site using foam and flexbond.
I basically put some water in a seal-able jar and mix it with flexbond til I got a milk consistency. I tried allot of different things but I found that it lays perfectly flat when you water it down. It may be my location. Montana is much dyer. With two layers of flexbond you get a good seal on your project. Then you really need very little plastidip to finish it off.

I think it runs about 40 dollars a gallon But it is worth it. I used it on two projects and I still have plenty left.
Rosco US : Scenic : FlexBond

There is a sales locator on the site to be able to find your nearest dealer. You shouldn't have any problem finding it.
Rosco US : Where To Buy

@man bat
Creative Grappling gun (nerf gun?) and sticky bomb gun
I came up with these ideas through a nerf thread in the prop section. They are made from a Maverick rev 6 (grappling gun) Recon cs-6 (sticky bomb launcher) I got the recon for a buck at a yard sale last weekend. So I'm definitely not breaking the budget on props.

@fullmetalsam
you are the man! your tutorials helped so much.

my next project is going to be "the comedian" out of EVA foam. Hoping to start this weekend as well.

Here's the finished gauntlets with temp gloves...
012.jpg

Last edited:

Looking Good! You making the pants at all?
Thanks yeah I'm going to be working on the leg and arm portions today. hope to be done by tonight. Im using the "artsee1" technique of strapping instead of mounting the armor. Ill be using under armor compression suit.

Thanks for the Flexbond information Joee.
Would you mind telling me about the plastidip? I see it mentioned in a lot of threads. Where can i find it and what's the application process?

Plasti Dip is a rubber compound that is used to generally cover tools. You can buy in a spray or paint form. There are different preferences depending on the application. You can find it at most hardware stores. I just shop around and find the cheapest price etc. here is a link to the website.
Industrial Protective Coatings & Adhesives, Plastic Coatings, Protective Foam Coatings

I used the black spray on this because i felt that it coated evenly for what i was doing. Using a sealer first allowed me to get the right texture and use less plastidip on my project. I tried different experiments on foam and spraying it straight on tends to curl and soak in the foam.

Very cool build! Looks really good.
Very useful information. Might try this build.

Nice job!!!!! I'm a big fan of foamies myself, and I'm always amazed by how good a piece of craft foam can look with the right treatment. And you can't beat the price!

:thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back