Batman Begins 3D printed cowl

Ohhhhh Myyyy Gooooddd !!! Can't wait to see a thread in the junkyard !!! Good thing it could fit large melons !!!

I too cannot wait for this to appear in the junkyard! I just hope it isn't tooooo pricey. ;) Thanks again Ian, Clinton and Kevin for your hard work on this.

I dont have alot of knowledge of 3D Pulls, but that is sweet....good job...

Not a 3D pull. Here I'll explain how it works again. ;)
You get a 3D file create or one. The modeler will then prep it for 3D printing, takes a lot of work and more so depending on the file or if it's created. (Thanks Ian :thumbsup)
You send it in or bring it into your 3D printer, pay them a bunch of $$. You get a plastic (think ABS maybe) hallow print, the thinner you print the less it is.
You take that 3D print back it so it's not so thin and fragile. Then you do the cleanup work, which is quit a bit of effort as the plastic does not sand very well at all. As nice as the prints are they are not close to ready to go.
Then you seal it off and prep it for molding . Lay your silicone on layer at a time, this one has 7 coats of silicone. Then you build your fiberglass jacket, this needed a 2 piece jacket so a dividing wall and keys.
Then once you manage to get the master out of your silicone your ready to cast a copy. Multiple pours of urethane rotating and layering until you get your desired thickness.
Pull the copy and trim, then Kev models it for use all to oogle. ;) lol Easy.
Ian, Kevin I and put quit a bit of work into this, but I think it was worth it and I'm pretty happy with the final outcome. (y)love

Thanks again everyone. If it was not for the Batman Begins suit I likely would not be a part of this community. It is what set me forward into prop collecting. So we really put forth a lot of effort with the props from this movie in order to ensure the cleanest and most accurate end product. Glad that shows through in pics. Trust me when I say its at least equally as impressive in person. ;)

For those asking sales related questions, please now see this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/batman-begins-cowls-118877/#post1728019

Wow... just wow! You mentioned doing a small mask, would that mean starting over or simply sizing down a current cast?

And finally a few pics of this cowl remolded for a smaller urethane version. Just finished doing a test/clean out pull on the new mold today, very happy with the results and the finish.

1IMG_3078.jpg

1IMG_3077.jpg

I know you guys are most likely sick of seeing this but here's another few pics. :love This is the large one (24.5" head) next to the small one (23" and smaller) remolded again and now in urethane. They are both cast from the same bucket of tinted urethane just a little different surface texture on the mold.

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

Good question.

The movie cowls were run in foam latex. It's a very soft rubber that feels more like a pillow. Foam latex shrinks when run and curing. So they have to compensate and predict for that. And it's not an overall shrink. Depending on density and thickness some areas may shrink more than others.

Now our original (on the right) is based off the original sculpt itself. Pre-shrinking you could say. Now we don't run foam latex but in order to try and mimic the shrinking the movie achieved we molded the original to run a regular latex copy. As you can see they look like different cowls. This is due to the shrinkage and different percentages of shrinkage in different areas of the cowl. Details also soften a little. In many ways it makes it more accurate to what you saw on screen.

We then molded the shrunk latex copy to pull urethane castings. Like the one you see on the left. It's quite a process but we feel it really paid off.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back