Batman Arkham City Cowl

makani47

First time really posting on here. I'm currently working on 2 projects. An Ironman Helmet and a Batsuit. Ironman is on hold for right now due to my miss measure and I haven't gotten around to resize the pep file and start again. Anyway, for the Batsuit, I'm starting with the cowl. I've been trying to find the best way to make it. I've seen various levels of quality of cowls online and am hoping to get mine at least decent. The best ones seems to have been sculpted from clay to start with. I'm new to this and my sculpting abilities are slim to none. Here is my workflow to start out with. Was hoping someone can see if there's any weak links or have better ideas.

first I take the pep model for the AC Cowl thats floating around and scale it correctly. Print it, glue it, etc. Once it is done, add resin to harden it. Once hardened, then I take clay and use that to smooth it out and add detail as needed. Using the pep file first eliminates a lot of the sculpting I'm not good at and I can start with a good shape. Also eliminates excess clay (On a bit of a budget). Once I'm happy with the clay part, use plaster to make a mold. Once I have the mold cast it using latex or equivalent to get the cowl.

The part Ii'm the least confident on is picking what material to make it from. Not sure if I should use latex, rubber, etc. I have no idea. I've seen some that slushed latex but they came out a little thin. I want mine to have a little thickness to it. I also don't have access to industrial ovens, etc.

Makani - Just a thought, but if you plan on doing props and other projects like this at some point you will have no choice but to develop some level of sculpting skills. Maybe not at this very moment, but I think you will find it will save you money over the long haul and is a lot more satisfying in the end. Just my two cents.

As far as what to cast your project in, I would recommend going to www.smoothon.com and looking at their resins and liquid rubbers. Slush molds usually work best for cowls like this and unless you are going to buy a roto-casting machine, the only way you will get perfectly cast masks and cowls is through patience and practice.

The relaity is: Unless you have a huge wallet and can buy everything pre-made and painted you will have to spend some time learning the craft and building your experience level.

Depending on how the Batsuit comes out, I may plan on making other things. I am a bit backwards with sculpting. I can do details fine but getting the overal shape is always been my problem. That's why I had the idea of Pepakura for the base so I can get the general shape. Most of the rest of the suit I have planned out for possible foam. May harden it or just coat it with something. Seen others use like a vinyl or cloth. I have plenty of time. Want it all done by this time next year.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back