Batlestar Galactica Paper Money

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Reaver, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Is anyone planing on making the paper money from the Battlestar Galactica episode aired on friday 1/27/06? Apollo gives paper money($100) to the girl after he spends the night with her. The money almost looked like concert tickets in both size and shape. Would be cool to own this paper prop.
    Dave
    www.vortexxpress.com
    DLugo@vortexxpress.com

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Interesting you mention that.. I was wondering if the "cubit" they found might be similar in function to our own American Eagles.. a bullion "coin" holdover from earlier days of backed currency.

I don't suppose either had any screentime before now? I'm not followed the series as much as I'd like.. it seems awful good, the parts I've seen. :)

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ah yes... paper money.

[​IMG]

Keep your eyes on the paper money. :lol

[​IMG]

And cubit. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality grabs...

4. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Arrgh... paper money.... *drool, twitch*

What's the title of that episode?

-Mike

5. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

I believe the title is 'Black Market'.

Does that cubit seem particularly thick to anyone else? Notice the 'cut corners', like their paper.

Jay

6. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Black Market.

We saw paper money in the mini-series at both the card game on Galactica and when Helo and Boomer were picking who got a seat on the Raptor. The metal cubits are seen just about any time there's a card game.

7. Tripper

Tripper Sr Member

Id say the Kubit looks thicker because of the reflection off of the tray under it.

8. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

It kinda does look like the cubit has a reflection. And yes, the name of the episode is Black Market. I have the complete 2nd season on my iPod video and I put the new episodes in the day after they air. So which one of you talented paper prop makers is going to make the money first?????
    Dave

9. phase pistol

BTW, did I miss something? I remember just after the Cylons wiped everybody out there was some dialogue about how there was no economy anymore, money was worthless in the Fleet. Now all of a sudden, not only do people have money again, but there's a black market for stuff? :confused

Did I miss an episode somewhere?

- k

10. phase pistol

That is correct, the Cubit is not that thick, it looks doubled there.

- k

11. jedilos

jedilos Well-Known Member

yes it definatelly the reflections, i'd love to see the papermoney for thi, since firefly money has been out im in love with paper props

12. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

Hey K,

you could have cropped that first pic some... no one is looking at the Cubit. :lol

john :cool

13. Krel Jedi

Krel Jedi Well-Known Member

There's a cubit in the first photo? :eek

14. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

While I *know* I've missed some episodes, that really makes perfect sense.

Once the immediate crisis of the attacks were over, it's only natural that some folks would find other people had things they wanted, and they had things other people wanted. Nature takes its course.

One of the reasons I really liked that episode (and Firefly, really) is the way it acknowledges that "people are people" .. trade and commerce are natural human behaviors, and don't go away 'cause you happen to have spaceships and rayguns. :)

15. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I agree, I also enjoyed the episode for those reasons, and that's why I like firefly as well.

My impression of the episode was to establish that there is some sort of economy coming back, some sort of commerce is going on, even if illegal.

Good looking out on the paper money, I didn't even think on it. I'm sure that would look great with my future BSG blaster. Along with a cubit. :eek
    Njc-----------------

16. Rotton

Rotton New Member

I have been watching, love this show. I have been trying to notice things like that. I have seen the money all over but never thought about someone making it. And of course the cubits, like the original. Would be a cool accessory when in gear, if that ever happens.

17. phase pistol

There's no Cubit in the first photo. :$

Only paper money. :lol

- k

18. phase pistol

BTW note that the paper money does not have cut corners. B)

Anyway are we "sure" that's "money"? Could they be supply vouchers or something? Apollo is paying her for, uh, "prostitutorial" services, true, but perhaps "barter" is what we're seeing there.

- k

19. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Well he's either paying her in money or in KISS concert tickets. Also, I think the reason shows like these are so good is because as was said before..... People don't change just because they live and work in space. That's what humanizes shows like BSG and Firefly. There are few sci-fi shows on tv and even fewer ones worth watching. The few good sci-fi shows are pretty much gone after a season or two so, when one like BSG comes along it becomes a must see. Besides, we need all thoughs wonderful toys.
    Dave

20. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Well the money shown other times in the show was about the size of Firefly/Serenity money. The bill Lee hands Shevon is likely folded a few times.

21. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

That's what I was about to say. The picture above looks like the money he's handing over is folded...and that's exactly what I thought when I saw the episode.
    And the cubit, is that the same design used on the original show?

22. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

No. The old show used cubits with the corners not cut off, that had that circle with the triangles in it on one side and some odd symbol on the other. The new cubits have cut corners, are smaller, and have the symbol of one of the Colonies on them (the screen cap being Caprica).

23. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Good call on the Caprica cubit. So if the money is folded two or three times, it should be about 9 to 10 inches long by 5 to 6 inches wide right? Does anyone have good screen caps of the money?
    Dave

24. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My guess is that it found money. We can rule out the following countries: Russia, Dominican Republic. Ijust happen to have a couple bills on hand.

25. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nope... Made for the show from scratch.

[​IMG]

26. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Nice screen shot. Do you have any full shots of it?
    Dave

27. SurferGeek

That's the best one I've got. I think that the bills were odd shaped, not quite retangular but closer to square. The image above is of an unfolded bill.

28. glim999

glim999 Sr Member

Look to me like Apollo hands her a couple of folded bills. COuld be wrong but that's what it looks like to me :)

29. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stepping through that Apollo-Hooker scene a few times, it looks like there might be some gold, reflective stuff on the bill, too. Near the end of that cut, the bills tilt backward (toward her), and a couple spots seem to catch the light.

Going from the above screencap (thanks so much.), it looks like the sparkly bits are the text — "1000 C$ COLONIAL TREASURY".

-Mike

30. phase pistol

Ah. Excellent screen grab, "Geek". B)

I would imagine that the row of 12 icons are the sumbols of the 12 Colonies.

- k

31. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Yup. That's what they look like.

32. SurferGeek

Thanks. :D

Yeah, I agree on the 12 symbols, that's also supportive of the "unfolded bill" theory I have...

33. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

So, ummm, which of you talented paper prop makers is going to make these up for us? Would be cool to display it with cubits and a card set. What do you think?
    Dave

34. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I think it's interesting that every piece of paper I have seen in the series has the corners clipped, except the money.

35. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

According to the Companion the clipped corners is a sign of military/top secret/high level documents or whatnot. This isn't entirely consistent, but there are other things aside from money with non-clipped corners. Mostly various background photos and whatnot.

Searched through my discs, no more good shots of the money. Gonna try and work up a decent looking image of that 1000, but without knowing the text below "Colonial Treasury" it won't be 100%. No shots give that info.

36. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Quick and dirty one:
    [​IMG]

Did it square rather than try and figure out the proper ratio. Looks about okay proportionally, I just need more time to tweak it. Haven't enough of that right now. Also would help to have the right font for the numbers rather than just doing them quickly from scratch. Gives you the idea though.

37. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

On the left side in the white rectangle area, I see a little watermark [not drawn to scale] or something (or is it just me?):

38. phase pistol

Well I wonder when they thought THAT up... in the first season, when Helo and Cylon Boomer ("CYLON-OCCUPIED CAPRICA") found the underground "shelter", it was full of paperback novels... with the corners cut off. :rolleyes

- k

39. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

That's an impressive start DuneMuadDib. Great work. However, I don't think that the right side of the bill is really darker than the left. I believe the bill in the screen cap has been folded in half with a sharp crease. The left side is in direct light while the right side is not, so the right is in shadow and looks darker. If you look at the top edge where Kara is starting to tear it, part of the right side has been turned toward the light and is the same color of the left.

I believe you are correct Nexus6. There is something there. I'm not sure if it is a water mark or something on the back side showing through.

40. phase pistol

Note "gear shape" behind the Colonial symbol.

[​IMG]

41. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

I can't speak for this season (Friday night's turned into a bad night to watch TV, and I can never remember to set the VCR), but in the Miniseries andSeason 1, even the background pictures were clipped.

The real story behind the clipped corners goes back to production on the Miniseries. When the budget got tight, someone made a comment about having to cut corners, so it became a running gag amongs the crew to nip the corners off all the paper props.

Must resist straight line about no good money shots. Must resist. :angel

42. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Gotta disagree there, RedTwoX. If you look just below the 1000, you can see a distinct line, different from the shadow line, where there is a different color on the right side of the bill that is not on the left.

43. JKolton

JKolton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Theres the one I've been working on. Still trying to track down the correct typeface. I wonder if it's one sided like our firefly bills?
    Jon

44. phase pistol

45. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

46. phase pistol

I thought it seemed familiar. :D

After a little googling on "science fiction font"... ;)

- k

47. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

I new there was a reason I love this site so much. You guys rock. Great eye on that water mark Nexus6. I completely missed that. I also think there is a different color on the right side as well, perhaps a pale or powder blueish grey.

48. SurferGeek

Exactly. IF the darker area was a folded section then it would be folded on the right side but if you look at the printing you can see that it stops short of the edge... Not folded, although I do think it's closer to a rectangle than a square but the "rough draft" is looking super.

49. JKolton

There we go, maybe a few tweaks here and there. All set except the watermarks. If you look closely, there are more, but they're just too faint to identify. I'd be willing to bet they're zodiac signs. Maybe they match up with the ones on the pillars in Kobols Last Gleaming part 2?

[​IMG]

50. JKolton

And this one assumes that Lee is paying Shevon in 100 cubit notes.

[​IMG]