Basic Mold Making for Detailed Prop

PlanetAlexander

I'm in Australia and I'm looking for some basic materials for mold making. I've never done mold making before so I want to keep the cost down while I learn about it. I want to make Mazikeen's Karambits from Lucifer, which are pretty detailed.

I've considered using Sculpey to create the Karambit. I want to make both sides on one piece (as opposed to two seperate ones for each side) but I'm worried that it might deform the bottom side while it is still soft. What would be a good sculpting material (that I can get in Australia) that I can make the Karambit from one part?

Now for the mold. I've seen products from Mold Putty which looks simple to use, but I don't know how trustworthy their products or their site is - plus, it looks like shipping to 'Straya could be a hassle. What are some good casting products I can get in Australia?

Cheers for any help.

i would make the base out of wood.. you can shape it and even add detail, .. as far as sculpting mediums, can you purchase Aves sculpty on Australia? but the more you do in the wood the less sculpting you will have to do :)

Building on what irishamericanlad suggested - maybe wood or acrylic sheet for the overall form, then slather it in two-part auto body filler (Evercoat, Dolphin, Bondo, etc) as a base to sculpt your detail? It sets very quickly and carves nicely with xacto/dremel tools.

I'm in Australia and I'm looking for some basic materials for mold making. I've never done mold making before so I want to keep the cost down while I learn about it. I want to make Mazikeen's Karambits from Lucifer, which are pretty detailed.

I've considered using Sculpey to create the Karambit. I want to make both sides on one piece (as opposed to two seperate ones for each side) but I'm worried that it might deform the bottom side while it is still soft. What would be a good sculpting material (that I can get in Australia) that I can make the Karambit from one part?

Now for the mold. I've seen products from Mold Putty which looks simple to use, but I don't know how trustworthy their products or their site is - plus, it looks like shipping to 'Straya could be a hassle. What are some good casting products I can get in Australia?

Cheers for any help.
Mold-Putty is only good for small items and I found issues with mixing/ porosity; the more viscous the better that way the mold material covers every part of the object.
Also a sponge to apply any mold release if not spraying, that way you get a good looking, brush stroke free part.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back