Barnabas Collins-Johnny Depp/Colleen Atwood WIP

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Chadrificus, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Chadrificus

Chadrificus Well-Known Member

I have always loved Dark Shadows, and when I found out that Colleen Atwood was doing the costume for the film I decided it was finally time to do my Barnabas Costume! Based on what has leaked so far, his coat is a dark green (like the original series) and it looks like she lined it in a paisley--so that's what I did! I'll post more pics as I finish the rest of the pieces but so far:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jacksparrow900

jacksparrow900 New Member

I plan on doing the original barnabas here's the full costume and makeup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You look like a young Jonathan Frid! :thumbsup

4. Chadrificus

Nicely done! is that the legit cane? Johnathon Frid was such a Bada**. I'm looking forward to the new movie, I'm not a fan of Johnny Depp or Time Burton per se, but I ADORE Colleen Atwood and from what I have seen she is doing a great job.

5. jacksparrow900

yes that is the original cane from the same german maker

6. Teisco

Teisco New Member

Is that a custom made Inverness cape? Or is that the Elope official Barnabas cape?

7. jacksparrow900

it's the elope one . I plan on adding lining a fixing the collar

8. Chadrificus

Its not bad, it definitely works. I wanted to make mine out of a thicker wool, because in the series his green one looks super thick. However then I would be sweltering and it wouldn't be functional as a costume.

That is so cool that you have the cane. I've wanted one for years but for some reason I can just never bring myself to buy it when I have the money. I'll probably save up for it eventually--does it have the glass eyes?

9. Chadrificus

I am bumping this because, dash it all, I wish to discuss more!

10. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

may or may not make this for Travis... doubt that I will as he's really not keen on the appearance, so unless the film itself makes him do a 360... unlikely.

can't wait to see some more of the ladies' costumes though!

11. Teisco

Teisco New Member

How would you rate the quality of the elope cape? I cosplay the Third Doctor and have been eyeing it intently as my new inverness cape.

12. jacksparrow900

it's definitely a medium wool which it's thick enough to wear in the cold I was very impressed with it I guess who ever came up with the design study Barnabas Collins coat from the 60's series I think it looks more accurate than some of the more expensive inverness coats out their. I did cut the sleeves off because his didn't have sleeves.

13. Chadrificus

His had sleeves----Or at least by the time it went to color it had sleeves.

I'd love to make an aged version of it 1700s costume and be the "just woke up" Barnabas.

14. jacksparrow900

never in the show did it have sleeves I've see every episode of dark shadows and was a fan of barnabas so I would pay attention when he was on screen.

15. NoTsOsErIoUs

NoTsOsErIoUs Well-Known Member

No expert on Dark Shadows, but if the character wore a proper Inverness cape it wouldn't have had sleeves. An Inverness with sleeves is an Ulster Coat

16. Chadrificus

Well I apologize for offending the Lord high Mayor of Dark Shadows.

At any rate I got my ring today, gold with a Black onyx stone. I'm pretty thrilled because it matches his perfectly and has a bit more shine than just a normal knockoff. Also pretty stoked as a friend is going to replicate the Cane for me, and we ordered red Glass eyes from Germany for it.

Also even though I am as blonde as the day is long My Harry Potter/Roger Debris/Nutcracker wig works perfectly for Barnabas when it is re-styled, so I am DEFINITELY getting my money's worth!

Sleeves:
    [​IMG]

17. jacksparrow900

you didn't offend me at all I have met Jonathan Frid in person and asked him about the coat he wore and he told me their were no sleeves on any of the coats from the show or the movie.

18. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

Hrm. I feel like if NONE of the original coats had sleeves, Colleen Atwood ( who made the costumes for the new movie ) would have respected that...especially if they're classified as an entirely different styles.

Or maybe she just liked sleeves better...

Either way, the Depp version is definitely with sleeves as are any of the statues/action figures/whatever you want to call thems.

To me it looks like the Frid versions were sleeveless but the colour version were with sleeves.

In other news, did you guys know there are replica rings and canes available?

19. Chadrificus

If you can find me a link to where I can purchase a cane, I'll do a back flip because the rings are chock a block and the canes are only the 300$ and up ones, not the Elope temp ones.

20. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Chad, you did an excellent job recreating the coat, it looks fantastic! :D

21. Chadrificus

Thanks!

22. jacksparrow900

are you talking about the series with Ben Cross from 1991

depp cane looks like the head is made of ivory and the cane had a spiral design to it

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  23. Chadrificus

I'm debating whether or not to make his suit from scratch or just alter one.

24. Chadrificus

Got the raw materials for my cane today!

25. Chadrificus

Some new pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. aralenn

aralenn New Member

Looks great, Chad! I love that there's a Barnabas thread; I am a huge Barnabas fan myself.

27. Chadrificus

Thanks! I've been getting some cranky responses from people who seem to think the movie is going to somehow ruin the original series, which I think is rubbish. I doubt it will effect it negatively in any way.

28. jacksparrow900

people think it's going to be tim burton's vision of dark shadows when it's the exact opposite

29. aralenn

aralenn New Member

I have to admit, I am a little nervous about Tim Burton doing it. But I am still excited to see a big screen version, and of course, you can't know if you like it until you see it.

30. SithsPadawan

SithsPadawan Well-Known Member

well im sure Tim Grew up watching it so i have a good feeling he will want to keep it as classic as possible.
    anyway im back from the dead and working on this one too. so far i have the ring my cane in the mail
    here is the cane i got,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grey-Wolf-Ha...item5643e0cb23
    i also got the Elope ring simply for cost, but i love it cause the stone is really a extreamly dark blood red as its discribed, if i find a plain gold ring i might pop off the gem and attach it to the real gold ring to keep my finger from going green

ill be modifying it to look like Johnnys, i would love the origonal though eventually, and probably make a more accurite Depp cane in the long run

as for the rest of the costume i plan on starting once i get the wool for my coat

31. Chadrificus

It looks like my entire costume, from the sunglasses to the suit and cane, etc--------will be done in early May. Right before the film release. Super excited for Comic Con!

32. SithsPadawan

SithsPadawan Well-Known Member

33. Chadrificus

New pic! Finally got the wig right!
    [​IMG]

34. Chadrificus

So I take it no one else is working on Anything Dark Shadows? I bet that will change if we EVER get to see a trailer.

35. DarklyDreaming

DarklyDreaming Member

Hey Chad, love your inverness, I don't suppose I could convince you to make me one, huh? And by the way, Elope is putting out an official deluxe and standard cane in may. I already have it preordered from Entertainment earth! I too am a huge fan of Dark Shadows. My sister used to tell me about it when I was younger, and when they remade it in the 90's I thought it was awesome. I collected all the books about the original series and eventually bought all the dvd sets too. I personally am looking forward to what Burton and Depp are going to do with the movie, I just wish they would put out a trailer already!!

36. Chadrificus

YES. Message me and I'll get you my info, and we'll make a deal.

37. Chadrificus

Now that the trailer is out, all I can say is that I am super thrilled I got a jump on Barnabas and have mine done already. I recently finished his Medallion, and will post completed pics as soon as I can get a photoshoot lined up!

38. Chadrificus

New pics, Fixed the wig and finished the collar on the suit!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

39. pwrofbauer

pwrofbauer Active Member

I'd love to see a close-up of the coat lining. :)

This looks awesome!

40. Chadrificus

Paisley! Glorious, GLORIOUS PAISLEY!!

41. OliverQueenIND

OliverQueenIND Well-Known Member

this is looking great! How do you plan to do the longer fingers? I have not been able to find anything good online for them.

42. Chadrificus

One of two ways,
    I'm either going to mould my hand and cast latex finger tips,
    Or I am just going to do longer nails and then contour my hands to make my fingers look longer. In all practicality, I doubt prosthetic fingers would be useful in everyday life and as such I might just go with longer nails.

43. OliverQueenIND

i was thinking of the sculpted method as well but have never done that. Hmm
    maybe its time to try

44. Chadrificus

Better Make-up:
    [​IMG]

45. Chadrificus

Tah Dah!¬ (still not finished, getting closer!)
    [​IMG]

46. NoTsOsErIoUs

NoTsOsErIoUs Well-Known Member

For anyone looking for a pair of sunglasses I have a a pair to let go of.

Check out the Junkyard.

47. Mojo_Turbo

Mojo_Turbo Well-Known Member

as always mate, you're a class act! AWESOME JOB!

48. OliverQueenIND

looks great!

49. jacksparrow900

Looking great so far I think I should of done the johnny depp look for the movie since I won't be doing the Jonathan Frid Barnabas I just don't feel right doing it since he died last week I think I'm going to hold off on it.

50. Chadrificus

Thanks guys! One more for good measure!
    [​IMG]