Barbie Jet - Freighter spaceship

mung

Sr Member
In the last post about the completion of the Moon Bug Project, I promised the next project would be to complete the old New Spaceship model, however inspiration struck and I made some progress on another project that has been waiting in the wings for some years.

I still intend that will be the next project taken to completion will be the old New Spaceship model but I had an idea about how to use the giant pink Barbie Jet plane fuselage that I got from a charity shop many years ago and I just had to see if the idea would work.

pTRU1-23532560enh-z6.jpg

I used the engines from the Barbie Jet for the Escape Pod Mk2 project back in 2016 and over the ensuing years have been trying to come up with an idea to employ the massive hull shape. Several thumbnails were drawn up, rough CG models built and I filled in the cockpit windows but it never progressed any further as none of the designs floated my boat as it were.

IMG_20200301_181839286.jpg
Fuselage with the windows filled in and a rough idea of where the spaceship bridge windows would be in a very early concept, ultimately rejected.

Layout_Front.jpg
Rejected rough CG model front view.

Layout_Side_V3.jpg
Upside down fuselage version, also rejected.
BarbieLander_front.jpg
Photoshopped lifting engine done over a photo of the fuselage.

More recently I came across an Ian McQue rough drawing on instagram that got me thinking about another way to use the bulky pink jet hull. A couple of thumbnails and many months later I had enough of a concept to motivate me to start building.

MiscellaneousTosh.jpg
Ian McQue sketch Instagram post, cropped.

ThumbnailNov2020.jpg
Looks like a giant version of the spaceship in Monty Python's Life of Brian, rejected.

Tosh.jpg
Getting there but still not right.

BarbieJet_ThumbnailAugust2020.jpg
This is the thumbnail that got me started and suggested an approach.

The thumbnail above was the one that got me started as I had an idea to cut the fuselage down the middle and spread it apart at the rear making more of a wedge shape. This I promptly did sawing the fuselage down the centre. I cut the nose cap off and kept that as a whole piece first.

IMG_20210306_173009050.jpg

There was still something I still didn't like about this until I wondered what would it be like if the two sides were also tilted in at the top. That idea clinched it for me as I thought it was a much more interesting shape. I attacked the two sides by holding them onto a belt sander until I removed enough styrene material to make them come together at the front so that the nose cap would still sort of fit.

IMG_20210310_181233777.jpg

IMG_20210308_111131132.jpg

I then set about to make a simple plywood structure that would hold the two sides together at an angle and provide a place to mount the 15mm water pipe mounting pole flanges one top and one bottom. I find this 15mm water pipe to be a really sturdy support for these heavy models it locks in place and is easily removed if needed due to the tapered thread.

The plastic (styrene) sides were glued to the plywood using super glue and reinforced with a lot of baking soda and thin super glue.

IMG_20210310_181100283.jpg

IMG_20210310_181119249.jpg

In the previous photos you can also see some 90mm PVC storm water pipe cut in half joined to a fairing made from a plastic measuring spoon also cut in half. These hard plastic spoons are a really useful shape for blisters and fairings and come in a set of four. I have used a number of them on different projects over the years, cutting off the handles and sanding the stub back to the oval shape.

IMG_20210310_181504775.jpg

I also rummaged through my stash of acrylic cups to find suitable engine bells and cut down the suitable candidates. I have a set of six Christmas wine glasses made in really thick acrylic that I am thinking of using as the lifting engines as this model is intended to be a lander with a rear cargo door.

IMG_20210310_180756916.jpg

I have another four acrylic glasses not shown in the photo which I will add at the rear. The intention is this model is to be liberally festooned with engine bells.

The next part requiring attention was the placement of the bridge/cockpit. I tried a couple of cardboard ideas along the lines of the Ian McQue sketch but it wasn't working. I then had the idea to try another spoon shape and that seemed to work so I taped the spoon to the hull and marked out a horizontal window line with a scribing tool. A piece of 2mm acrylic was heated with a heat gun until soft and pressed into the back of the spoon with a soft cloth to protect my fingers from burning to form the cockpit glass. A slot was then cutout of the spoon to make the window shape. The acrylic was then glued in from behind and a couple of small evergreen strips added as window mullions.

IMG_20210312_172527917.jpg

The next step was to build a cockpit interior as it would have to be sealed in without any means of access. Three LEDs were also added to light the cockpit a central white and a red each side for interest. The power supply will be at the usual 12 volts so after consulting an online calculator a 390 ohm resistor was added to the three leds in series at the positive end.

The scale I decided was 1/72 so three figures of that scale were obtained from my figures box and added to the mix. Most of this will hardly be visible through the tiny windows however a curious onlooker ought to be rewarded if they take the trouble to peer inside. The lighting should help to draw any viewer to take a look.

The seated pilots are on a removable base at the moment so I can get easier access for painting the interior. It will have to be finish painted before installation as access will be impossible later.

IMG_20210312_172236045.jpg

IMG_20210312_172244828.jpg

IMG_20210312_172335543.jpg

I have primed the cockpit interior and now need to paint the figures which are so tiny, something I am not looking forward to. I can't bear working on tiny models that's why I generally build so big. In this case even though the model is quite large in volume the scale is small as I am trying to convey the impression of something really huge.

More pictures at a higher resolution can always be found on the rcscifi blogsite

Next up is to sort out the rear end and the arrangement of all the engine nozzles and their associated light sources.

Thanks for looking,

I don't know why, but I think your conversion of a Barbie plane is f-ing hilarious, and I can't quite figure out why. I chuckle every time I read this thread, so...thanks for that!

The cockpit interior and occupant figures were painted and weathered. The lighting wired up and the whole bridge module was glued into position on the hull with no further interior access possible.

IMG_20210313_194355087.jpg

IMG_20210313_194402296.jpg

Moving on to the rear of the craft I blocked in the tail section and added all the engine bells. The engine lighting was wired in and tested. Before gluing the side pods in position I sprayed primer grey onto the bits that will be extremely difficult to reach later, mainly the area around the cutaways for the large engine bells and the engine bells themselves.

IMG_20210320_183923273.jpg

IMG_20210320_183933244.jpg

IMG_20210320_183944778.jpg

I am using MR11 LED mini downlight bulbs at 12 volts. All six of them together are drawing around 1 amp. These have a bi-pin ceramic connector which just fits inside a small length of pvc conduit that has been glued into holes at the back of each of the acrylic cups I'm using as engine bells.

The two larger engine bells on the side pods have a plastic tap handle glued inside them. The tap handles have a ribbed interior and a slightly curved hexagonal shape that adds a bit of interesting detail.

IMG_20210320_184036172.jpg

I also made up a cargo door that would hinge down to form a loading ramp. In this case it is not operable but doubles as an access hatch to get to the engine lighting connectors. I added a switch so the engine lights can be turned off leaving the cockpit interior lights still on.

Once the dimensions could be ascertained I designed up a door detail on LibreCad, my new free ( open source) 2D CAD program of choice. Making sure to put a dot at the centre of each radius I printed it out fullsize and stuck that template onto a piece of 2mm styrene (HIPS) sheet. Then each dot was drilled out with a step drill to 8mm diameter as the curves were designed with a 4mm radius. Then the lines between each hole were cut and the resulting part after a bit of sanding was stuck to a piece of Evergreen grooved sheet. I made up a chunky looking hinge element that acts as a handle to remove the panel which has a magnetic cupboard catch at the top holding it in place. Looks like I will need one at the bottom as well.

IMG_20210320_080541832.jpg

IMG_20210320_184111120.jpg

IMG_20210320_184019484.jpg

IMG_20210320_184045561.jpg

I did test that I could get my hand in to where the lighting connectors were to go before I finalised the size of the access hole and therefore the dimensions of the cargo door.

I put a 1/72 scale man in the following photo which shows the relative size of the spacecraft.

IMG_20210320_184626436.jpg

Returning to the front end I chopped the nose cap in half and fixed it in place with some internal tabs of 2mm styrene with thick superglue and epoxy putty to fill the large gaps. More polyester putty will be needed to fully fair in the shape.

IMG_20210320_184757457.jpg

IMG_20210320_184234969.jpg

Thanks for looking.

More soon.

Love what you've done so far. Like the way you draw inspiration and create. Reminds me that I have SO many bits and pieces of scratch built ships and shapes that have stalled just because I didn't know what to do with them. Perhaps I'll photograph and start a new thread.

Love what you've done so far. Like the way you draw inspiration and create. Reminds me that I have SO many bits and pieces of scratch built ships and shapes that have stalled just because I didn't know what to do with them. Perhaps I'll photograph and start a new thread.
I have more than a dozen started but incomplete projects lying around most I fully intend to complete if only I wouldn't get distracted by another project idea. Some neglected projects need a big dose of inspiration to pick up again. These projects usually stopped because I lost track of the original motivating concept along the way and they don't match the vision I had in my head when I started.

At it again! I can't believe the gear you smash out Dave.
I have more time to work on my projects due to Covid as I have been made casual and only average about 3 days a week at work at the moment. Even so I usually only manage to finish two projects a year. Maybe this year I might do better.

Yes I will be there, with 4 big never exhibited models, two spaceships Resilient Corelian cruiser and Moebius-1 (flatTop re-interpretation) and two vehicles Moon Bus and Moon Bug.
That's good I have a Bruder harvester for you.

I wasn't sure what I was coming into reading this thread, then initial pics of the Barbie jet made me really confused haha.
I have to say it, absolutely brilliant intuition here. Finding shapes in cups and spoons is just as brilliant. Im going to have to stockpile plastic spoons before Australia makes them illegal in a few months.
Subscribing. Fantastic work!
Cheers,
Josh

I wasn't sure what I was coming into reading this thread, then initial pics of the Barbie jet made me really confused haha.
I have to say it, absolutely brilliant intuition here. Finding shapes in cups and spoons is just as brilliant. Im going to have to stockpile plastic spoons before Australia makes them illegal in a few months.
Subscribing. Fantastic work!
Cheers,
Josh
I found those spoons in Spotlight. I should get some more myself.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back