COlson

SW_X-Wing50.jpg
This is my Bandai 1/48 scale X-Wing starfighter. I have heavily modified this kit with additional electronics and a custom base. The torpedo firing and and wing functions are all that were kept from the original kit. I added full cockpit lighting with targeting computer lighting, engine animation and flicker, laser fire, R2D2 lighting and sound fx.

SW_X-Wing01.jpg

SW_X-Wing02.jpg

SW_X-Wing04.jpg

SW_X-Wing05.jpg

SW_X-Wing06.jpg

SW_X-Wing07.jpg

SW_X-Wing09.jpg

SW_X-Wing10.jpg

SW_X-Wing11a.jpg

SW_X-Wing13.jpg

SW_X-Wing14.jpg

SW_X-Wing16.jpg

SW_X-Wing17.jpg

SW_X-Wing18.jpg

SW_X-Wing19.jpg

SW_X-Wing20.jpg

SW_X-Wing22.jpg

SW_X-Wing25.jpg

SW_X-Wing26.jpg

SW_X-Wing27.jpg

SW_X-Wing29.jpg

SW_X-Wing30.jpg

SW_X-Wing31.jpg

SW_X-Wing32.jpg

SW_X-Wing33.jpg

SW_X-Wing34.jpg

SW_X-Wing39.jpg

SW_X-Wing40.jpg

SW_X-Wing41_Comparison 1.jpg

SW_X-Wing42_Comparison 2.jpg

SW_X-Wing43_Comparison 3.jpg

SW_X-Wing44_Comparison 4.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work and the lighting is perfect as well, especially on R2

You're side by side comparison brings up an interesting topic for me

Do those pics show a bit of disparity between how far the wings open into the X on the studio model vs the Bandai model

Are the Bandai wings fully opened?

If not, that would explain why it is hard to reproduce that one famous side view shot of Red 5 in the trench run. I know the Fine Molds X-wings could not open as far as Bandai's can, but can Bandai's open as far as the studio model's?

Excellent work and the lighting is perfect as well, especially on R2

You're side by side comparison brings up an interesting topic for me

Do those pics show a bit of disparity between how far the wings open into the X on the studio model vs the Bandai model

Are the Bandai wings fully opened?

If not, that would explain why it is hard to reproduce that one famous side view shot of Red 5 in the trench run. I know the Fine Molds X-wings could not open as far as Bandai's can, but can Bandai's open as far as the studio model's?

Yes, the wings on the Bandai 1/48 don't open quite as much due to the mechanics of the motor I guess.

Excellent.

I watched your Youtube build of this kit as you were uploading the videos. Stellar and amazing reworking of the electronics to include an arduino board and laser tip firing sequence along with those amazing cockpit details.

Re. the s-foils not opening as wide as the studio model, I have seen other builds of this kit where they might not open as far as the studio model, but wider than this build (which is stunning by the way).

Here’s one:

F1F07609-EF8F-4CCA-B246-B39BD1FF330F.jpeg

In fact, this one’s not far at all from the studio model.

Last edited:
Re. the s-foils not opening as wide as the studio model, I have seen other builds of this kit where they might not open as far as the studio model, but wider than this build (which is stunning by the way).

Here’s one:

View attachment 980924

In fact, this one’s not far at all from the studio model.

I'll have to look into it a little more. Maybe some of my wiring running to the lasers and engines is preventing the wings from opening all the way.

This is totally awesome. I’ve watched your YouTube videos and am currently trying to make my own one of these, replicating a lot of your modifications. Thanks for sharing so much info on how you’ve built everything.

Very nice. I followed your build on YT, as well as other builds of yours. You're very meticulous with your thought process and building techniques.

SB

COlson, would you be able to let us know where you got the sound samples from? I love the idea of the random dialogue samples from the films.

COlson, would you be able to let us know where you got the sound samples from? I love the idea of the random dialogue samples from the films.

I just searched online. I believe they ended up being on YouTube, and I just downloaded the video and split it into separate .ogg files, which is what the audio board that I use plays.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back