Bandai Super Star Destroyer

Madhatter

Sr Member
Hi guys

As a little side project, I bought myself one of those new little SSD's that were released not long ago to put on my desk at work. I have the Korbanth kit as well but that's not really a work friendly display item (would certainly raise a few eyebrows on the train in though! ;D )
Straight from the box the way Bandai intended it to be. No adding details or what not. Just slap it together and paint it. So easy
I painted it in Tamiya paints: Light Grey (XF-65/66 I think) and Dark Grey XF-24, highlighted using pastels and powders
It was a fun kit and goes together very easily - although as many before me have said - the parts are very small so handle carefully

48842108877_944c2c5322_c.jpg

48841559538_4e4bb5b4fe_c.jpg

48841558513_1042b10d7d_c.jpg

48841557738_41e5d38edc_c.jpg

48841556928_598f2d4475_c.jpg

48842110757_d1757d0f3f_c.jpg

48841556108_c958870811_c.jpg

48841925846_67257c363a_c.jpg

48842100227_4d226cfd50_c.jpg

Like I said, its a fun kit and well, let's face it, it the only-option choice if you don't want to shell out a heap for a huge resin kit
That's it but thanks for looking
Si

Thanks guys. I should just say that I am not trying to mislead people into thinking it's bigger on purpose. I'm sorry if you go buy one of these thinking it's huge only to get it and be disappointed.
Invar, hope you get your issues with the SD sorted out to your satisfaction soon

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I should just say that I am not trying to mislead people into thinking it's bigger on purpose. I'm sorry if you go buy one of these thinking it's huge only to get it and be disappointed.
I'd say it's just masterfully photographed. Close to no depth of field, awesome lighting, great angles and perfect image clarity. Of course this makes the ship look huge, but isn't that what this hobby is about? Making models look they way they are supposed to in real life?

I'd say it's just masterfully photographed. Close to no depth of field, awesome lighting, great angles and perfect image clarity. Of course this makes the ship look huge, but isn't that what this hobby is about? Making models look they way they are supposed to in real life?

Thanks so much - I have been practicing and messing around with various photographing techniques for my kits for a while now, so your appreciation is a huge compliment. And you're absolutely right about making them look as life like as possible.
Reading over my inital response, I do admit I seem to have been needlessly defending myself but to be honest, it's due to a previous encounter with a bloke who went out and bought a Revell Venator based on the one I did and then cracked the poohs with me when he got it in the mail because it was a lot smaller than he thought it would be and then accused me of false advertising and being deceptive - which sounds crazy, I know, but that's what it amounted to at the end. So, yeah, I do tend to get a little defensive when terms like 'photos are misleading' are thrown out there but I realise no one meant it in a negative way though.

Wait, a kit you did not need to add any detailing to :lol:

Excellent paint job and photos

I like the color choices as well!

Thanks mate. I know, a kit I didn't feel the need to detail too does sound a little out there and unlikely, but I gotta say, I love this kit!

I always liked the SSD's. Great paint job!!
Cheers bro, I to have always loved the design of the SSD. It's why I shall be making sure I try to get things just right when it comes time to do the Korbanth kit.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back