Bandai Snowspeeder 1/48

BTTFSpencer

Sr Member
I'm building myself a Snowspeeder in quarantine, as one does. I will record my build on this thread so that it may be critiqued. I enjoy learning and finishing my models accurately.

I'd like to throw a question out and see if it can get passed along as to which original grey was used, or perhaps the most proper substitute used today?

Thank you very much for viewing.

I shall begin the sub assemblies!

Archive X paints ( I am not sure which, but you can ask in the FacebookGroup if no one chimes in here)

If using Tamiya paints, Tamiya XF-19 (Sky Grey) mixed with XF-2 (Flat white) is supposed to be a great match for the studio model and I think was used as the paint master for the MR Snowspeeder. I forget, but I might have also added just a very small bit of XF 55 Deck Tan at the last minute, but the mix was most XF-19 with flat white
when painting the odd "whiter" panels like along the side of the cockpit, it is a mix of Deck Tan and Flat white

I forget what I used for the darker grey markings on Luke's Version. It might have been a base of Tamiya XF-77

I used that and mixed to match the Bandai sprue color

Not sure about Vallejo or Model Master etc...

Last edited:
The most accurate paint for the Snowspeeder is supposed to be Archive-X "SP Lettering Grey", which funnily is the same color that was used for the AT-AT and (ESB) AT-ST.

Apart from that, most people use a mix of Flat White and XF19 Sky Grey, Flat White and Medium Grey (XF20), or Flat White and Light Gull Grey.

I've used the same paint mix as Andy Moore at Britmodeller on mine:
But i've ruined it with weathering and wont post any pictures. :p

which funnily is the same color that was used for the AT-AT and (ESB) AT-ST.

it sure seems that way...

95_w.jpg

While it may be accurate for painting the filming models, I personally prefer the AT-AT to be a little greyer and the Snowspeeders to be a little whiter so I still used a mix of XF-19 and white, but for my AT-ATs, but I used almost straight XF-19 with very little white, while for the Snowspeeder I added more white..akin to how the ANH Tie color was much darker blue/grey on the studio model compared to the lighter more neutral grey on screen

I believe the correct mix would be mostly XF-19 with a bit of white added

The most accurate paint for the Snowspeeder is supposed to be Archive-X "SP Lettering Grey", which funnily is the same color that was used for the AT-AT and (ESB) AT-ST.

Apart from that, most people use a mix of Flat White and XF19 Sky Grey, Flat White and Medium Grey (XF20), or Flat White and Light Gull Grey.

I've used the same paint mix as Andy Moore at Britmodeller on mine:
But i've ruined it with weathering and wont post any pictures. :p

I second this. Andy's SS build over on Britmodeller is stunning.

SB

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back