Bandai release schedule

Bandai has been done with producing more ships for awhile now and is in low power mode, especially with new movies only on the horizon somewhere. My guess is going forward, we can expect more figure tie-ins for the various series coming to Disney+, but that will be it. Sorry, no 1/48 Y-Wings or Imperial Shuttles, as cool as that would be.

The good news is 3D printing has come a long way, and there is a thriving garage kit market out there. Take advantage! I just built a 3D printed TIE Bomber and Rebel Transport, and now my SW ship collection is more or less complete. I don't need no stinkin Bandai.

I wonder if they have or might consider something similar to the HasLabs route

Basically open up to backers, once they get x amount of dedicated backers pledging to pay, then they go ahead with a production run

That way they ensure they can at least cover their cost plus some kind of profit margin without first taking a risk on developing a kit that has an uncertain demand

It would let them do some of the more fringe subjects, or larger tools without losing money when no one buys them because they might be too large, expensive, and/or niche

If not enough backers, no loss for them

I am hoping, if nothing else, we get a motorless re-pop of the 1:48 X-Wing and a partial re-tool of the PG Falcon with ESB lower hull pieces. Those are the large-scale efforts I can see costing them the least for return-on-investment.

Tangentially related, but I'll ask here, since people who do Star Wars modeling read this: Anyone know of a 3D model of the conjectural cargo modules the Falcon (or similar freighters) would push?

YT_freight_pusher.jpg

Alternatively... They bear a striking resemblance to the Conveyex cars in Solo. D'you think those might be standardized cargo modules, designed to be carried by or aboard starships or by rail, same as our real-world cargo boxes that go on ships, trains, and trucks? A finalized version of the above?

When I saw the Conveyex cars, my first thought was "Hey, those are the cargo pods the Falcon can push!" I always envisioned them as a standardized cargo box, like a shipping container is on Earth.

I'm really excited about the bare Boba head. I can't wait to see them on Clonetrooper models. I wonder how many parts this new Boba will share with the OG Boba kit?

I am hoping, if nothing else, we get a motorless re-pop of the 1:48 X-Wing and a partial re-tool of the PG Falcon with ESB lower hull pieces. Those are the large-scale efforts I can see costing them the least for return-on-investment.

Tangentially related, but I'll ask here, since people who do Star Wars modeling read this: Anyone know of a 3D model of the conjectural cargo modules the Falcon (or similar freighters) would push?

View attachment 1556489
Alternatively... They bear a striking resemblance to the Conveyex cars in Solo. D'you think those might be standardized cargo modules, designed to be carried by or aboard starships or by rail, same as our real-world cargo boxes that go on ships, trains, and trucks? A finalized version of the above?

The containers from the Geminon Freighter in BSG could look the part and would be an easy mod either physically to cut off/sand down the cockpit and engine areas, or use an stl editing program to cut them off in the digital model

20 minutes. And I'm less than a novice. In fact, 4th graders right now are laughing because this is so basic, but with enough time and patience I think I could make a pretty accurate replica. Build in pieces, scale to 1/72, export as an .stl, plug it into the Elegoo Mars... bam. Anyway, not to derail, but I'm not going to get too upset about Bandai. They set a high bar for other manufacturers and I'm grateful for the kits we've got. They showed what is possible and if anything I'm more inspired to follow their lead and keep striving for accuracy and detail. I'm just glad this technology exists and it's only going to get better, cheaper, and easier to use as time goes on.
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 9.50.42 AM.png

I think we all need a Hunk a Junk TinkerCad tutorial!

Ha! YouTube. Seriously, I watched maybe 30 minutes worth of tutorials, one I swear was by a 10-year-old girl! It's stupid simple. It's just dragging pre-made shapes, stretching or squashing them, combining them with other shapes, making holes to cut sections out of shapes, etc. I made this exhaust pipe thing for my Mando N-1 build in like 15 minutes.
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.58.06 PM.png

Yeah. I design almost all my stuff in TinkerCad. Once you get used to the interface (doesn't take long), you can Boolean (add and subtract geometry) to make a lot of complex shapes. As Hunk a Junk suggests, it's not too great for organic objects. I would love if it would have chamfer/fillet and smooth functions, but I don't think that AutoDesk will upgrade the program with that anytime soon.
Look at some of my work and you can see what an amateur can do:

Tinkercad also has a lot of downloadable STLs. Careful, there is a lot of crap that people have posted, that are just a couple of primitive shapes put together, probably by children (hopefully).

TazMan2000

Wow! I am impressed! :)

The good news is 3D printing has come a long way, and there is a thriving garage kit market out there. Take advantage! I just built a 3D printed TIE Bomber and Rebel Transport, and now my SW ship collection is more or less complete. I don't need no stinkin Bandai.
I agree. Sadly any new company getting the Star Wars model kit license will start all over again and give us the nth version of an X-Wing or TIE fighter. Getting some cool new stuff like a big Tantive IV will take ages now IF someone is willing to take the risk to make it, so yes, 3D printing seems to be the most viable option as of now.

Getting some cool new stuff like a big Tantive IV will take ages now IF someone is willing to take the risk to make it, so yes, 3D printing seems to be the most viable option as of now.

I do have some hope that R2 will surprise us within the next few years with a Tantive IV. They've been fairly responsive when it comes to Trek and 1999 kits, and they have to know that a blockade runner is high (if not the highest) on most people's new tool wish list.

I do have some hope that R2 will surprise us within the next few years with a Tantive IV. They've been fairly responsive when it comes to Trek and 1999 kits, and they have to know that a blockade runner is high (if not the highest) on most people's new tool wish list.
Right, I haven't considered that. (y)

Considering that the Tantive IV was the first ship seen in the saga (Episode IV), you would think it would have been demanded more.

TazMan2000

Wow! I am impressed! :)

I agree. Sadly any new company getting the Star Wars model kit license will start all over again and give us the nth version of an X-Wing or TIE fighter. Getting some cool new stuff like a big Tantive IV will take ages now IF someone is willing to take the risk to make it, so yes, 3D printing seems to be the most viable option as of now.
Yep! Recently completed a TIE Bomber and Rebel Transport, not bad for 3D prints? And will get only better and cheaper, like any new-ish tech. I think the only downside is that some 3D printing enthusiasts will end up with homes literally filled top to bottom with ships and figures. Not good for hoarders? So have to start asking--if you can print anything, should you lol?

qa4VXAK.jpg

r4SszRr.jpg

J2F3DFI.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back