Bandai release schedule

Jaitea, thanks for sharing the video.

I really don't think etched engine vent screens would be warranted for this model, I mean its so small. Is there any point in being able to see minutely through a teeny tiny gap in each louvre??.
If scaled down from actual koolshade to 1/144, it would look solid anyway!. Even the real stuff, depending on your line if sight, it looks solid.
I think its best to use the actual Bandai plastic part.
Stu

I agree Stu,....the 5 footer fans could only be seen at certain angles anyway...plus even the 32" filming model had solid vents,....I'm really not bothered,.....BUT....you know how this will go.....the model won't be right till we can see those fans & people will pay whatever it costs for what they think will be accurate

J

I agree Stu,....the 5 footer fans could only be seen at certain angles anyway...plus even the 32" filming model had solid vents,....I'm really not bothered,.....BUT....you know how this will go.....the model won't be right till we can see those fans & people will pay whatever it costs for what they think will be accurate

J

Haha, yeah I think there's a point where if it looks right, then it is right!. I just can't see the point in wanting to squint through a millionth of a mm to see a fan housing.
The only area I can see so far that I myself would modify, is to sand down the cockpit inner frame thickness!. To me as it is, makes it look toylike & a dead giveaway.
I'm liking the new radar array too, kinda grows on even oldschoolers like me!.
Oh for a 1/72 complete Bandai no holds barred effort, I can dream!.
Stu

I'm gonna keep glass in for TFA Falcon.....the Teasers & Trailer show reflections & glints on the CG models.....even on the TIE windows

BUT don't forget.....even though its a few years off,...theres a Han Solo movie on the way,....I'd say the Falcon will be there,....& without the ESB landing gear mod.....so if we don't get a 1/72 by then....(depending on how well this 1/144 sells).....I'm hoping there'll be a super detailed beautiful Falcon released .......

....but only if you live in Japan:lol

J

I was thinking maybe using some copper wire and maybe modify the grilles to suit, if not cut some new circles from styrene with my circle cutter. Thin wire strands should work well for this scale although im sure it will be tricky and fiddly.Im also im going to dry brush the fans with silver on top of a dark grey acrylic.

I think it would be sacriligous to just cover over them even if they are small. Theres also that odd bit of blocky pipework that will need to be changed for some styrene rod.

Im needing a break from the ongoing MPC Falcon iv been doing. It will be nice to only have minor mods to do and get to the painting :)

A proper video this time:

Yep it definitely looks like the walls of the mandibles are mirrored,...copying the starboard side.....I wonder does this mean the same with the CG Falcon?

...in fact the entire ships sidewalls copies the detail & mirrors the starboard

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose when Bandai gets around to releasing an OT version of the Falcon (and they're missing an opportunity if they don't do it) they could just add a sprue containing the round dish and a new bottom hull without the additional landing gear boxes for those who wish to make the ANH version.

It also looks like the engine grilles are molded solid, so I imagine Paragraphix should be offering a set soon.

Just for fun, let's compare Bandai's X-wing BB-8 with Revell's X-wing BB-8. Pathetic.

oBHmJrm.jpg

Attachments

• oBHmJrm.jpg
    oBHmJrm.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 73

J

here's the difference between the two on the fine molds 1/144. I realize that you can't see the fans through the photoetch....but it still looks better

Good lord I need to dust more.....

......Wow AB,.....that does look better,.....& the FM 144 is a good bit smaller than the Bandai

dust......pain in the ar*e.......I'm gonna need one of those Ikea cabinets

J

......Wow AB,.....that does look better,.....& the FM 144 is a good bit smaller than the Bandai

dust......pain in the ar*e.......I'm gonna need one of those Ikea cabinets

J

I do have an ikea cabinet, but it's at home. These falcons are at work. And that one without the photoetch was my first model and it's like, 5 years old

As an aside, the whole symmetrical falcon thing is kinda bugging me. It actually feels lazy. Like all the cgi x-wings in the SE.

99.9% of viewers will not notice the Falcon greebles are symmetrical or that the CGI X-wings are. It's not lazy, it's cost effective.

99.9% of viewers will not notice the Falcon greebles are symmetrical or that the CGI X-wings are. It's not lazy, it's cost effective.

Concur. From my meager experience just 'fooling around' with image editing & 2D CAD drafting, I can say that such work can be tedious & time consuming (like some video games!) So, leveraging your work by using the 'mirror' function is definitely the way to go. It is modeling but a different kind... however, from a 'sci-fi, techno-babble' aspect, I'd expect there would be some apparent asymmetry in the exterior details since the mass distribution of the ship is certainly not symmetrical, left-right or top-bottom.

Regards, Robert

Agree, but like Astroboy its bugging me too, but I'm planning to do my own tubing or some kind of mod to make it asymmetrical :D Are we modeller or not?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back