Bandai R2 - Which White?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Jimmer, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Jimmer

Jimmer Well-Known Member

When I built R2/R5 I puttied and painted R2's dome and loved the results (1st time working with putty).

A few days ago I decided to paint both droids a more accurate white, if I could successfully disassemble them. Well, managed to get them apart and then it occurred to me that I have no idea if a gloss or matte white would be the best choice.

I'm sure it's very obvious that I'm a rookie modeler nowhere close to the skill level represented on this site (and it's obvious by the lame questions I sometimes hit you guys with).

Anyway, if anyone has time to comment which White would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. robn1

robn1 Master Member

The screen use R2s had a shine, possibly semi gloss. Too much shine can look out of scale on a model so keep it subtle, maybe satin would work.

3. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

I'm using Hycote car matte white primer,....the same as I used for my Scout trooper

The good thing is.....OK the paint dries matte,.....but if you buff the paint up with a scouring pad (not too much though,.....you'll remove the paint),.....it will go back to a satin shine

The good thing about doing it this way, (I think),...is that the oil wash looks & works better on the matte paint,.....when you are happy you can buff off the extra oil wash with the scouring pad

J

4. Jimmer

Jimmer Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Jaitea, you've basically been my mentor on this Bandai R2 project. Thanks much for all
    the advice (and to everyone else). Again, hated driving you guys nuts but my limited time modeling has taught me it's much easier to get it right first time than to try and repair blunders.

My R2 and R5 thank you all as well.

5. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

No problem Jimmer

Post some photos

J

6. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

I'll be using Tamiya Fine White Primer when I do my 1/72 R2/R5.

7. Jimmer

Jimmer Well-Known Member

Will do. May be a week or two, I live in Tennessee and out humidity level is ridiculous right now. Gonna paint the white bodies with a Krylon spray paint so waiting for humidity to drop a little. Probably overkill, but I can be patient.

8. Jimmer

Jimmer Well-Known Member

Jaitea, you have inspired me yet again.

I was gonna keep it simple and go with white Krylon Fusion spray paint (no primer) since all I've left to paint is the white parts. But after looking over the method that you used a second time, I've decided to give your technique a try. Your Scout Trooper came out really nice by the way.

I've seen pics of a couple of R2 projects done in Krylon that looked really nice, but I think your technique goes even further visually and I'm gradually getting a little more confident with painting. Thinking of upgrading to an airbrush eventually, but I'm a little intimidated there.

Anyway, pics will come when finished and thanks again for all the advice.