DirtyBrush

Hello all, I was lucky enough to get a Bandai B-Wing for Christmas this year, and so these past couple of weeks have been full of airbrushing, trying new techniques, and getting some lighting installed!

The main inspiration for this build/paintjob came from Andy Moore, whose skills I could never match, but his detailed guide on his paintjob gave me a great deal of tips and tricks to try out.

I started with a grey primer, then airbrushed the panel lines in black, before misting on a cream-grey (focusing on some panels to make them stand out a little more). I then did a mist coat of white-grey to cool down the cream and draw all the colours together. The blue-grey areas were masked, based in a dark version of the colour, then misting a lighter highlight over them. The orange roundels were masked rather than use the decals, and then came the painstaking process of panel-lining and weathering!

The lights were some 5mm red leds for the engines, and 2 white 1 blue 3mm leds for the cockpit- For my next build I'll attempt some fibre optics.

I'm happy with the result, it was my first time airbrushing the majority of a model, I'm particularly happy with the shading (doesn't show up great in the photos). I think in future I should thin my mist coats a little further to show the shading in more depth.

C&C welcome!

Attachments

• B-Wing 2.jpeg
    B-Wing 2.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 227
  • B-Wing 3.jpeg
    B-Wing 3.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 217
  • B-Wing 4.jpeg
    B-Wing 4.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 199
  • B-Wing 5.jpeg
    B-Wing 5.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 190
  • B-Wing 6.jpeg
    B-Wing 6.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 171
  • B-Wing 7.jpeg
    B-Wing 7.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 175
  • B-Wing 8.jpeg
    B-Wing 8.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 178
  • B-Wing 9.jpeg
    B-Wing 9.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 183
  • B-Wing 10.jpeg
    B-Wing 10.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 185
  • B-Wing 11.jpeg
    B-Wing 11.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 190
  • B-Wing 12.jpeg
    B-Wing 12.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 181
  • B-Wing 13.jpeg
    B-Wing 13.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 190
  • B-Wing 1.jpeg
    B-Wing 1.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 225
Looks great! I like the custom stand as well! Does the cockpit still rotate with wiring and LEDs in there? I thought about lighting mine, but just left it with the engine lights.

SB

Thanks!

It does, but only 90 degrees so that it can either be upright, at the angle it is in the pictures, or horizontal. To do that I cut away some of the cylinder behind the cockpit and made sure the wires have some slack.

I saw a great idea where a guy used copper tape to maintain contact 360 degrees, but that is beyond my skills at the moment!

Cheers!
Haha, thanks for letting me know, is it better to embed them in the post instead?
I am not sure

Just something I noticed. Maybe it has something to do with a combination of the file format and the resolution on the pics? Possible the attachment thumbnails are blurring it a bit trying to compress the pic to a thumbnail/icon size?

I took a screenhot of what I see, but of course, clicking the image to see it full size at the bottom shows a nice crisp copy

DELEMECapture01.PNG

DELMECapture02.PNG

I inserted the above as a thumbnail
DELMECapture02.PNG

Attachments

• DELMECapture02.PNG
    DELMECapture02.PNG
    839.8 KB · Views: 124
^ A-ha! that last one that is blurry I add by using the Attach files button at the bottom. The one inserted as a thumbnail was added by using the Insert Image icon at the top, and then inserting as a thumbnail. So it appears the Attach Files option generates a really low res burry image vs insert the picture as thumbnail or full size.

I am not sure

Just something I noticed. Maybe it has something to do with a combination of the file format and the resolution on the pics? Possible the attachment thumbnails are blurring it a bit trying to compress the pic to a thumbnail/icon size?

I took a screenhot of what I see, but of course, clicking the image to see it full size at the bottom shows a nice crisp copy

View attachment 1411205

View attachment 1411207

I inserted the above as a thumbnail
View attachment 1411207
Thanks for your hard work! I'll think about that next time

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back