Bandai B-wing by iwatajim.

Iwatajim

Jr Member
Hi all, I thought I would share the finished pics of my Bandai B-wing. I used Andy Moore’s excellent build as inspiration. Mostly sprayed with AK real color paints, and weathered with acrylics mostly and very carefully with oils due to the well documented issues with Bandai plastic.

I haven’t posted here for a long time as photo hosting drove me crazy, but looks like things are nice and up to date now, so no more consumption without contribution!

Anyway, I hope you all like it!

5968C0B4-06DB-4287-A8F9-20F06A4E3909.jpeg
13C35BB3-E2A2-43D6-B27A-74937004B738.jpeg
IMG_0718.jpeg
IMG_0719.jpeg
IMG_0720.jpeg
IMG_0721.jpeg
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg
IMG_0724.jpeg
IMG_0725.jpeg
IMG_0726.jpeg
IMG_0727.jpeg
IMG_0728.jpeg
IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg
IMG_0731.jpeg
IMG_0732.jpeg
IMG_0733.jpeg

Beautiful and inspiring work! I love it! Definitely going to reference these pictures when I start my build. Thanks for sharing.

Did you build that spray booth yourself? What kind of fan are you using?
Thanks Padawan311 , I did a build log over on modelgeek on kitmaker but don’t feel right posting a link here to another site.

The spray booth I bought over a decade ago. I’m in the UK and it is still available as the a300sd or bv300sd. It’s not cheap at over 300(was less than two thirds of that back then) sterling but all I’ve ever had to do is change filters and it is still going strong. I could go on about it but I’m already sounding like a salesman!

Thanks again bud.

That B-Wing is a work of art, plain and simple. Wonderful attention to detail with just enough wear and tear to show it's used, but not a complete p.o.s.. (y)(y)

Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments, they are very much appreciated!

I shall attempt to put together a short build log below for those who would like to see the process…

Thanks again!

Ready for paint
IMG_0628.jpeg

Preshade with dark gull grey and black
IMG_0631.jpeg

First colour on with light gull grey and white
IMG_0637.jpeg

Second colour with a mix of barley grey and white, giving some panels more attention than others
IMG_0644.jpeg

Then a mix of Tamiya deck tan and white, once again giving some panels more coverage.
IMG_0647.jpeg

Now some panel shading with some rubber black acrylic paint thinned with retarder and blended with water. The first pic shows the difference with one wing still to be done.
IMG_0651.jpeg
IMG_0653.jpeg

Then an overall mist coat with a heavily thinned mix of the barley grey and white, mostly white, with plenty of gloss added, so more of a tinted varnish.
IMG_0667.jpeg

The blue is Tamiya light blue and medium blue at around a 4:1 ratio. Lightened with some AJ cream white for highlights then the tinted varnish from earlier was used to bring it together with the rest of the finish
IMG_0679.jpeg

The rounders were masked and painted with the mr hobby colours in the pic, around 4:1 orange to russet, with radome added for highlights. I used a circle cutter and Tamiya tape for the masking and masking fluid for the chipping.
IMG_0689.jpeg

I applied all the kit decals and added some of my own sparingly, trying not to over do it. Then further weathering was applied with AK light dust deposits in places and a wash made up with Abteilung Starship Filth oil paint, being very careful to avoid any issues with cracking plastic! Once again the wing on the left of pic is finished compared to the other.
IMG_0714.jpeg

The cockpit and Ten Numb.
IMG_0662.jpeg
IMG_0664.jpeg
IMG_0661.jpeg

And finally, the engines.
IMG_0685.jpeg
IMG_0686.jpeg

This Wins the RPF!!!

For atleast a day!

Thank you for the pictures! So many folks post finished stuff and just move on. I feel like I just had two wonderful meals!

Last edited:
Thanks you so much guys. It’s great to share with such like minded people. I’m working on a Bandai 1/48th AT-ST just now in British WW2 Caunter camouflage scheme, along with a Tamiya Matilda in the same scale, for a group build on another site but can share on here too, I think.

Thanks again, it feels so good to be a participant rather than always just spectating!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back